Trouble at Best Buy

This is a discussion on Trouble at Best Buy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is why carrying a 5-shot snubby is not my first choice. I like having 13+1 available immediately. Secondly, I personally would get the family ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Trouble at Best Buy

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    This is why carrying a 5-shot snubby is not my first choice. I like having 13+1 available immediately.

Secondly, I personally would get the family to a spot at least behind concealment, cover if possible, and hunker down. But personally I would not wait to draw until they were shooting. I would be shielding my family (rather than having my son shield me), in concealment, low ready if possible. Protect them first and foremost, be a good witness, be ready to get violent and nasty if they head toward my family.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There is nothing to be done that wouldn't greatly increase the chances of many casualties.

If they initiate shooting then there may be no choice, but you still have to be really careful that you
    don't shoot someone while attempting to get the BGs.

It is a bad situation with no good possible outcome other than the BGs leaving with the money.

And if the police handle things the way they seem to around here, the BGs will be rounded up before
    the hour is out. I don't know how our guys do it, but dang few serious crimes go unsolved more than a few hours or days.

Tactically, if I had to deal with that scenario I'd want my effort to be a complete surprise to the BG and in as close as possible to
    avoid risk of hitting other customers or employees. I think a J frame would be perfect for a pop-up from the ground
    and jam of the gun into the BG. I don't think you'd have to worry about running out of ammo. They'll be running once it starts to get hot.
    9MMare likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Since you seem to enjoy creative writing, may I make one small suggestion? Use paragraphs. The Wall O' Text method makes scenarios hard to follow. Me? I simply avoid reading them.

Back to the thread about shooting store robbers....

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I doubt I'd be the one dialing 911 on my cell phone. That act would likely provoke a confrontation. No doubt there will be plenty of other people in the store doing the 911 thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcameron View Post

dont be so sure about that.....

read into the "bystander effect"

Bystander effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pretty much, you, and everyone else will be thinking "surely someone else will be calling 911...so i dont have to"........and guess what.....no one calls 911....

if you think 911 needs to be called...CALL THEM YOURSELF.

I understand that phenomenon quite well.

But again, in this situation, it would not be a tactically wise thing to do.

It was stated in the scenario that one of the armed bad guys was only 15 feet away from you. You are basically caught out in the open with your family and small children.

It would be highly improbable that you could successfully place a call to 911, converse with the 911 operator and go through the usual "lets play 20 questions," and not get caught doing so by the bad guy who is only 15 feet away.

Seeing someone try to call 911 would likely only enrage the bad guy and pretty much guarantee an armed confrontation, which I would just as soon avoid. I would much rather be thinking tactically how to solve the problem if it comes to that than conversing with a 911 operator playing 20 questions. I would much rather be strategizing how to get my gun into play and trying to control my family.

These tactical considerations coupled with the fact that these armed robbers are likely planning to be "in and out" of there in as short a time as possible, I'm betting it's all going to be over with in well under 2 minutes if no one interferes with the robbery. Certainly it would be very unlikely that me being the sole person to call 911 would have much of an effect on the police arriving on scene and intervening in a meaningful way.

So, again, based on the scenario as it is outlined... and that means I am basically caught out in the open and only 15 feet away from one of the bad guys, I'm not going to try and call 911.

Now if I was somewhere else in the store, and not standing at point blank range from the bad guy, then yeah... I got no problem calling 911 if I were in a more secure location.
    oakchas likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

No shots have been fired... BG giving me the "hairy eyeball" (big deal). Thugs waving guns around, threats but no active shooter... range 15 -30 feet... no shot for me. Let 'em take the money... 30 minutes later, I'm going home with my family...

Or,

Since flat screen tvs are nearly "bullet proof" (as posted above), grab a smaller one, strap it over my chest for body armor with the wires... go forth and slay the badguys.... head shots to both, we're done here... accolades from all, Best Buy gives me a $1000 gift card. Be billed as "The Man Who Saved Christmas." Go home and pm Gecko, and tell him what he missed!

Well, nah... the former rather than the latter....
    MadMac, JDE101 and Back 40 like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Best buy is rich.....and has insurance. They can fend for there selves in that respect. As far as me, I would have my m&p full size so I would have plenty of shots and I wouldn't dare make a move unless they started really showing that they would harm me or my family.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Best buys money is not my concern.

If the worst case happened and I had to fight, by the time I ran through my other options and got to the J-Frame in my pocket I would already have one foot in the grave.

Jim

I understand that phenomenon quite well.

But again, in this situation, it would not be a tactically wise thing to do.

It was stated in the scenario that one of the armed bad guys was only 15 feet away from you. You are basically caught out in the open with your family and small children.

It would be highly improbable that you could successfully place a call to 911, converse with the 911 operator and go through the usual "lets play 20 questions," and not get caught doing so by the bad guy who is only 15 feet away.
    dial 911.......put phone down and dont talk to the operator.....

that way there is a recorded record of the event( which may prove helpfull in preceding court cases)......and chances are good the operator will send for police( assuming they can track the GPS signal in your phone)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcameron View Post
    dial 911.......put phone down and dont talk to the operator.....

that way there is a recorded record of the event( which may prove helpfull in preceding court cases)......and chances are good the operator will send for police( assuming they can track the GPS signal in your phone)
    That's certainly an option, and anyone is welcome to try that.

As for me, I'm not screwing around with a damn cell phone when I'm standing at point blank range from an armed bad guy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Run into the bathroom and change into my suit and cape
    PEF likes this.

I used to work at a store on Colfax and Cherry, not a good area. I think wait em out the right answer, I'm not turning the robbery into a gun fight.

Thanks for the replies everybody!

When I saw the news report about the real robbery, I could readily see my family in a similar situation- hence the story.

I agree that avoiding a shootout is the best thing. The key question is what event or events cause a tipping point? If you delay your violent response too long, it might not matter whether your respond or not...

The Wall O' Text method makes scenarios hard to follow.
    Good advice! It was a little late when I posted, so it looked good to me . Problem fixed now.

First off, Nirvana is NOT punk. Sex Pistols, UK Subs, Ramones, Richard Hell, sure... NOT Nirvana...
    Very true. My use of "punk" was meant to be more general, like "young punk", not the music genre. Go grunge!

Best Buy has insurance. I'm not starting a gunfight to save their money! I try to get family to cover and observe BGs to be a good witness after LEOs arrive. I only engage in gunfight to save self/family as a last resort. And unless it is summer and I'm wearing cargo shorts, my S&W 642 is not my primary gun--a 1911 and a spare mag is what I'm carrying! Even with more than 5 shots, I'm not engaging unless BGs start shooting first.
    DamnitBob likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Been thinking about this for a little while with no real good result.

My 6 year old has epileptic seizures which are often triggered by extreme emotions (anger, fear, joy, etc.). There is a good chance she would go into a seizure which effectively removes my wife from all thought except our Daughter. Seizures gather a LOT of attention which is exactly what I DON'T want from the BG's.
    Hopefully the BG's will keep doing what they came for and leave, but if they decide to take an undue interest in my Family I may be forced to act.

BG 1 (nearest to me) and BG 2 (dealing with the cashiers) are both armed. BG 2 is a secondary threat to me due to his location (I'll deal with him if/when necessary). BG 1 will have most of my attention (my wife will deal with our Daughter). BG 1's actions will determine my response from none to verbal to cane to firearm.
    I walk with a cane and am often discounted as a "non-threat" and sometimes exaggerate my infirmity to encourage that line of thought. In fact, the cane is a VERY effective close quarters weapon. Given this setting, if the BG takes an interest in my Family, I want him within arms reach when/if I am forced to act, in order to have the best chance for success and less chance of bystanders (including my Family) being injured. I may very well use the cane to eliminate BG 1 as it will be less apt to gain BG 2's attention than a shot fired. From there all depends on how the situation unfolds.

Threat situations are fluid and can change in seconds. All I can do is prepare myself mentally beforehand to take advantage of ANY opportunity that presents itself, whether that be to fade into the background or use what skills/tools I possess to counter that threat as best I am able.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Administrator
    Out gunned, out numbered, crowed confined range and other peoples money... seems like a no brainer to me.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links