Choked from behind - Page 2

Choked from behind

This is a discussion on Choked from behind within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 This does bring up a situation where a knife makes a lot of sense. As posted previously, I carry mine for ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Choked from behind

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    This does bring up a situation where a knife makes a lot of sense. As posted previously, I carry mine for whittling, boxes and ropes, but I might actually deploy it in this situation. This also solves the hold that Gman brought up.
    The hold I am referring to, will bring the victim off his feet, by thrusting your hip into the small of the back, leaving your feet dangling, and body stretched out. The neck will be stretched, and crushed by the pressure of the hold and the victims own weight. A knife, if it can be brought into play, may help, but it would be a very desperate and iffy possibility, depending on the attacker resolve. And, you wouldnt have long to make it work.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Kind note to all repliers. No one has answered his question about what should be done with his firearm. I think the non-answers answered this absurd question

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The hold I am referring to, will bring the victim off his feet, by thrusting your hip into the small of the back, leaving your feet dangling, and body stretched out. The neck will be stretched, and crushed by the pressure of the hold and the victims own weight. A knife, if it can be brought into play, may help, but it would be a very desperate and iffy possibility, depending on the attacker resolve. And, you wouldnt have long to make it work.
    There are a few nasty holds. Forearm forcing your head forward with shoulders pinned tight against attackers - if they wrap legs around your torso it just gets worse.

The worst I had was being pinned upside down against a wall with my head at a 90 degree angle on the floor, and the weight of my attacker (plus my own) being used to stretch my neck vertebrae while cutting off everything else. Fortunately he let up after I blacked out, but I sure would have liked to have had a blade at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Kind note to all repliers. No one has answered his question about what should be done with his firearm. I think the non-answers answered this absurd question
    As you suggested, there's no way to really coach a firearm deployment in such a fluid scenario. It's safe to say that if you're fighting for you life, all options are on the table. I just found escaping the choke hold topic more interesting.

AOK
    Base out if it feels like they are about to pick you up off the ground (if you can). If you are off the ground your options reduce. If feet still on the ground elbows to abdomen, hammer fists to groin, and back kicks to groin or knee caps are all options.

In regards to a knife many people have knives in their pockets. Your time will likely be to limit to fish around in your pocket and deploy the knife. If you have a fixed blade on your belt it will be much easier to access and deploy.

If you have a gun on your waist (or in a shoulder holster) depending on where on your waist you carry it, you can access and draw your firearm. The gun basically becomes a leed syringe. In all honesty the gun option is something you should learn from a qualified firearm instructor and can be very dangerous for skilled gun handlers let alone individuals that lack muzzle awareness or trying to learn straight from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    The gun really isn't an option if you are that close and in that position at the time. If I am able to get free with the knife, then depending on what happens next the gun might be deployed.

In regards to a knife many people have knives in their pockets. Your time will likely be to limit to fish around in your pocket and deploy the knife. If you have a fixed blade on your belt it will be much easier to access and deploy.
    The knife is in the pocket, but the clip holds the top edge out of the pocket. No fishing around in the pocket etc. and there is nothing else in that pocket either. One hand and about 1 second is all that is needed to have it fully functional.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If he was doing this, if he was doing that... yadda yadda yadda... MY friends DON'T walk up behind me and choke me to the point I am going to pass out. While you are passing out he might be getting ready to stab you in the rib cage
    Location is everything… party, home, job but if you feel like your life is in jeopardy shoot them.

knives and attempting to cut someone in this position isn't going to be fast enough in a sleeper hold....best and quickest defence is to grab the jewels as hard as possible...make them see stars........or drive your fist into them....again...stars are the objective...once they release you....either run or kick again as hard as possible into the jewels and then run.......

Steve

My friends don't joke around like that. My really messed up uncle used to. But if someone is seriously choking me, I'm going to draw and put at least one round into their gut or leg. And if it happens to be my screwed up uncle (he avoids me these days), he deserves to get shot!

Senior Moderator
    This was demonstrated in the defensive knife class I took. The point of the demonstration was to show that if you are in a proper choke hold you have less than 12 seconds to do something or you are going to find yourself unconscious.

The "good" thing about a choke hold is that typically you are in front of the bad guy and he can't see you go for a defensive tool such as a knife or gun (especialy if that tool is carried center line on the front of the body.)... getting out a knife and going for disabling cuts to the arm around your neck is one option provided you are careful to cut AWAY from your neck so that if/when the attacker pulls away you don't accidently stab yourself or cut your own throat.

You could also go low and go for a blood cut in the groin... However, it's important to remember that it will take longer for the attacker to bleed to death (even if you do cut an artery) than it will for him to choke you to at least unconsciousness... if he manages to hang on despite the pain or the loss of blood you are in big trouble.. Even if you managed to shoot him, if he manages to hang on despite the pain you are a goner.

The best option is to disable his arm(s) so that he physically cannot continue to hold on to your neck. You have the best chances of survival that way.

You know exactly where his arms are.. pull a knife and cut for the tendons and muscles that are enabling him to hold you.

And as to identity.. I honestly do not have any friends or family immature enough to try this as a joke without my knowledge or in a sparring match.

A proper choke hold demonstrated by the instructor of the defensive knife class I took.

VIP Member
    Lima! Nice to see you back!

At the hardware store, I was suddenly pinned from behind.
    My arms were grasped, just above the elbows by someone VERY strong and held so that my elbows touched.
    I am short of lung-power, stamina and am on continuous oxygen (seriously handicapped).
    I could NOT break the hold and could NOT reach any ready weapons.
    Fortunately, for me, I was being razzed by a friend and not an enemy.
    Only defense, in this scenario, would have been better situational awareness.

Rilowe

Quote Originally Posted by Rilowe View Post
    My arms were grasped, just above the elbows by someone VERY strong and held so that my elbows touched.
    I am short of lung-power, stamina and am on continuous oxygen (seriously handicapped).

Rilowe
    With "friends" like that....
    ksholder likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilowe View Post

Rilowe
    Kick backwards as if you are trying to kick your own behind.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Lima! Nice to see you back!
    Shee's baaccck. Good to know.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member
    The choke Lima put up in video is pretty dangerous. For practice purpose use the sports version which doesn't include
    placing the left hand on the back of the head.

And, G-d gave the victim elbows and heels for a reason.

As for Hitch's scenario. Shortly after I got my CHL many years ago, I had an "epiphany" of sorts. I recognized that the handgun is a limited weapon. That is what drove me to put so much effort into H2H. I don't think a gun will be of immediate usefulness in that situation, a knife maybe. Glockman's point is well taken.

Fortunately, in everyday civilian life it is fairly uncommon to be attacked that way. The BG wants something. He needs to face you to demand it. If his goal was to kill you from behind without you knowing what was going on he could just as well
    have shot you from the back or cut your throat or stabbed your chest--lots of options. It makes no sense to go hands on and risk the fight.

That attack is the sort of attack military and police and security folks might encounter, but isn't part of the routine of either armed robbery or kidnapping--though I suppose some BGs might want to drag an unconscious victims into a car or alley.

Lima's suggestion of a blade carried center front makes sense. I never thought of that, but then I don't carry a knife for other reasons.
    oakchas likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links