Choked from behind

Choked from behind

This is a discussion on Choked from behind within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a scenario that has been running thru my mind lately. You are walking down the street when suddenly you are grabbed in a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Choked from behind

Choked from behind

Here is a scenario that has been running thru my mind lately.

You are walking down the street when suddenly you are grabbed in a choke hold from behind. I know nobody will ever get close enough to you . Blah Blah but this time they did. You try to break the hold and no matter what you try you can not get free.

You can feel yourself gettting dizzy. Knowing that you will be passing out soon

Do you take a side step,draw and shoot COM or one into the thigh?

You have no idea if it is buddy screwing around after watching last night wrestling match on TV or BG looking to steal your wallet or worse.

Ok people, what do you do?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You are dizzy, you are going to faint shortly, he is bigger and badder than you for getting you in that position and you think there is something you can do with your firearm. Maybe, with the last breath you can start yelling and screaming and get some air into your lungs and you can stomp his foot or use an elbow in some manner but the firearm is your fall back position? Not sure what kind of responses you expect but yada yada yada

Take the closest hand and grab a hand-full of "Joy",if he isshe is a career criminal and wears a cup,start smashing toes with my heel,if that does'nt work,take one of my knives,this is why I carry two,and start a rearward-upper thrust into his abdomin,all this being that I've become so STUPID and Complacent that I am not aware of my 3-6-9-12!But like a Recon Instructor told our team,"you can what-if any senario to death!".
    Spade115 likes this.

Tell her, yes dear, I'm sorry!

Now for a real answer. I would not do that to anyone else, I don't expect a friend to do this to me. I would consider this person a threat and would take whatever means necessary to subdue the threat. Since I'm getting older and my hand to hand is probably not what it was in my younger days, they could very easily get shot.
    archer51 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Having done my fair share of scrapping, I've never been in a choke hold that really worried me. I'm no expert, but I've survived some nasty scruffs.

If he's taller than you and has you up off your feet, it's elbows and/or grab a handful. Eye-gouging works if you can reach his head, it's really an all-out scramble to get out of that position while there's still oxygenated blood in your brain.

If your feet are on the ground, turn around and go to work.

You make a good point regarding identification. Most of us here are former military, and know what it's like to take a brutal ambush from a drunken, but well-meaning friend. Granted, if that were to happen to me now, I can safely assume it's not one of my buddies (they're all too old to be playing like that anymore). Even so I'm not going to shoot without identifying my target, and if I shoot, I'm going for CNS. A leg shot would mean that I missed.

If someone is choking me from behind I doubt they are a buddy having fun with me. Elbows, foot stomps, go limp, the back of your head to the bridge of their nose... I still hate hypothetical questions.
    surefire7 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

WWCND?
    (what would Chuck Norris Do)

I would definitely do my very best impersonation.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Take a jiu-jitsu class and see how to get out of it. Aside from a rear naked choke in the best scenario, you have time and you get get out of it, especially if you are standing.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Senior Moderator
    Turn towards elbow (takes pressure off trachea), draw off side knife, start cutting any available skin that isn't mine.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

If someone knows the proper technique, you are not going to get out of it. You are dead. Let's hope he is not a trained thug.
    paullie likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If someone knows the proper technique, you are not going to get out of it. You are dead. Let's hope he is not a trained thug.
    Most don't/aren't. Thankfully...

So, stick him/slash him repeatedly. The choking arm, the gut, the legs... If as you say, I'm near passing out... this is no longer a friend who watched a WWF match. This is an "enemy combatant."
    Hopyard and Old School like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Pull my knife out of my pocket, open it and start cutting the hell out of him.

Cut up his legs, arms, stabb his neck face or whatever. You cut the arm he his holding around your neck to the bone and he will probably be letting go.
    mr.stuart and Ragin Cajun like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Pull my knife out of my pocket, open it and start cutting the hell out of him.

Cut up his legs, arms, stabb his neck face or whatever. You cut the arm he his holding around your neck to the bone and he will probably be letting go.
    This does bring up a situation where a knife makes a lot of sense. As posted previously, I carry mine for whittling, boxes and ropes, but I might actually deploy it in this situation. This also solves the hold that Gman brought up.

If, it's a two handed choke, it's ametuer and easy to defeat. If, it's applied with an inner forearm, go with the direction of applied force, cross step in the opposite direction of the arm against your throat, ie left forearm- cross step left over right, hammer fist to groin, grab a handful, and try to completely remove from attackers body.

In all probability, the attacker will apply force towards the rear, pulling you backwards. The best chance here is an immediate back head but followed by rearward elbows and inner knee strikes.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    This does bring up a situation where a knife makes a lot of sense. . . This also solves the hold that Gman brought up.
    Solves? Maybe, maybe not. Gives you a chance, depending on the tenacity of the thug, and his level of "sociopathy."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links