Had to Draw on Someone Last Night

This is a discussion on Had to Draw on Someone Last Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 I am seriously failing to see how anyone can find fault with the OP assuming this is the way it went ...

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Had to Draw on Someone Last Night

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I am seriously failing to see how anyone can find fault with the OP assuming this is the way it went down:

Was running errands after work last night in town, pulled up to a stop sign at an intersection and was waiting for traffic to lighten up to pull out. I had my window down, radio up and spotted a black male around 250lbs dressed in black riding a bike, he drifted down the road and turned next to me, coming directly at me and yelled "hey! Hey you!", I hit the lock on the doors, got the window up to a safe height, threw it in reverse and grabbed my .40. He advanced aggressively headed for the door handle, I kept reversing, drew my weapon and told him to get away from my car. He saw the gun, and froze. I put my foot on the gas, backed up and made a u turn at a safe distance away and left

should she have invited the guy in before she drew on a large man trying to grab her door handle? Remember that the OP stated that she is 5'3" and 120lbs. I doubt a loud voice and nasty stare was going to deter this guy if he had ill intent. This was a carjacking that never happened because the OP presented a weapon. Good for her. End of story. Talk lawyers and other jibberish all you want, but she survived and the guy hauled butt out of there. Brandishing??? Hardly.....totally justified IMO. IF YOU WANT ME TO PUT A GUN IN YOUR FACE, JUST REACH FOR MY VEHICLE DOOR HANDLE WITHOUT AN INVITATION FROM ME. I would say that anyone that without invitation reaches for the handle of a car vehicle with the owner already inside is going to get just what they need to get...... The wrong end of the view of a gun. I can totally justify to ANY lawyer that I was in fear for my life and was sure the BG was trying to steal my vehicle, and so I presented my firearm to protect myself. Whether he displayed a weapon or not means nothing. Maybe there are no car jackings in some parts of the United States, so some have no clue how it works. We have our share in Orlando. It will not be me. Glad the OP had a "pair" and refused for it to be her.
    Thank you. Some common sense.

2. Remove Ads

People aren't finding fault given it went down as described - an encounter with no sequelae is a good one. The problem is that it could have gone down in an unfavorable way, particularly the aftermath, AND if this is an embellishment or a fantasy, it's misleading.

There are elements which lend themselves to it being a fantasy. There wasn't time to do all that and tell the guy to get away and to observe his reaction, it's odd to refer to a firearm by the caliber, it's strange to make jokes about this later, and the whole thing is a bit of an over reaction given the doors were locked.

I disagree, there was a sequelae, she escaped with her life and got to tell us about it.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar

Smile

There is another element to this that is interesting to me also. The fact that she is not posting on this thread anymore. Maybe..... Just maybe, she has taken the advise of the posts here, and is just not talking about it publicly anymore? Maybe even informed the police of the encounter and has spoken with a lawyer.

On the other hand, maybe the cyclist reported "woman with a gun" and provided a discription?? You never know.
    I figure, since we are speculating as to the OP, I would too.
    Yankeejib likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Mare,

I can see your point. But, if we are to believe the OP, she displayed her weapon in a manner which might cause the bicyclist to soil his pants... For me, that's going to take you pointing it at me and doing so in a threatening manner. Maybe not for this hood ape.

But then you go on to say that female responses to a big black man yelling at you and approaching your car might be different. Fine, if you're a 5'9" female.... But a 5'9" MP? of any gender? c'mon...

If she hasn't been trained to deal with something like this; heck, if she hasn't had to deal with something like this under the color of authority as an MP... then MP must mean something different than I expect it to... A MP has to deal with trained killers all the time... everyone of our soldiers is, after all, trained to kill (to a greater or lesser degree, dependent on branch I suppose) in everything from marksmanship to CQB. If MPs can't stop them, who can?

So this doesn't even come as close to a Leigh Anne Touhy... "If you so much as set foot downtown, you will be sorry. I'm in a prayer group with the D.A., I'm a member of the NRA and I'm always packing." moment, as it would if the OP wasn't a MP. And the OP as a MP should be able to fend off 2 men with sticks without resorting to her sidearm.

So why is she afraid for her life in a locked car, in reverse and moving with a clear path behind? Big burly goon gonna rip the door from it's hinges with his "Jaws of Life" forearms? or at the very worst, break the plastic/potmetal handle off (which I will grant might not occur to her in the fear of the moment).

Even you, in an unarmed confrontation in the park, had more "hair" than that, IIRC?

So, the feminine perspective of this just doesn't wash... If she's a MP she's a trained corraller of trained killers, not some Leigh Anne whiffit of a 5' blond walkin' in the hood.

OTOH, you're right, we weren't there...

But, the one time I exposed my weapon (in it's holster, on my side) some 30 years ago, I didn't go yuck it up with my fellow CCers, or training partners, or even talk about it much for years... I don't think anybody soiled their pants over that one either.. but I was left alone following the incident, and I still had to deal with them or their counterparts every day in nearly face to face adversarial situations for another few months at minimum. And logically, as was pointed out here on DC, I also was not in fear (at the moment) of death or great bodily harm, even though it was indirectly threatened.

<<<EDIT>>>

As to the disparity of force... If she's a pedestrian against this goon, you bet! But where, in reality, is the disparity of force? A 2 ton car with a lady driving it. Or a bike with a 250 lb goon astride it? A pedal bike fer cripe's sake... C'mon... I offered to let Sticks try to grab my door handle while I'm reversing, I even gave him a weapon to shoot at me while I didi... I still bet he wouldn't get me shot or the door open...

But again, in the fear of the moment... these things did not occur to her... And, we weren't there. So, she was justified (though maybe not legally so), and there were some things she should consider next time if she chooses to.

Hood Ape? Seriously?
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    This is possibly the worst thread ever. It's right up there at the top of my crap-o-meter with the High Point threads.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This is possibly the worst thread ever. It's right up there at the top of my crap-o-meter with the High Point threads.
    You have an O-Meter...... that measures Crap?? Nevermind.

:-)
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    There is another element to this that is interesting to me also. The fact that she is not posting on this thread anymore. Maybe..... Just maybe, she has taken the advise of the posts here, and is just not talking about it publicly anymore? Maybe even informed the police of the encounter and has spoken with a lawyer....
    Given the hammering she got from a few members, I'd walk away too.

Atctimmy - Even if it was a BS story by the OP, it had sufficient elements of a perfectly legitimate scenario, and at it's peak, correct choices and decisions. Sparked a healthy debate among our memberships, and I have no doubt made a great many people rethink things a little. When is the last time you had your meter calibrated? More to point, did you remember to clean off your probe from the last time you used it? (JK - I regard you as one of the more solid thinkers around here)
    Secret Spuk and 9MMare like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Given the hammering she got from a few members, I'd walk away too.

Atctimmy - Even if it was a BS story by the OP, it had sufficient elements of a perfectly legitimate scenario, and at it's peak, correct choices and decisions. Sparked a healthy debate among our memberships, and I have no doubt made a great many people rethink things a little. When is the last time you had your meter calibrated? More to point, did you remember to clean off your probe from the last time you used it? (JK - I regard you as one of the more solid thinkers around here)
    LOL Have a meter calibrated?... Clean off the lead points?... lol A perfect analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    People aren't finding fault given it went down as described - an encounter with no sequelae is a good one. The problem is that it could have gone down in an unfavorable way, particularly the aftermath, AND if this is an embellishment or a fantasy, it's misleading.

There are elements which lend themselves to it being a fantasy. There wasn't time to do all that and tell the guy to get away and to observe his reaction, it's odd to refer to a firearm by the caliber, it's strange to make jokes about this later, and the whole thing is a bit of an over reaction given the doors were locked.
    just wait until some Gorilla is hanging from your vehicle door trying to gain access, and lets see if you have the composure to check with your attorney before you draw your weapon. Oh, sorry. He just shot you through the window.
    Guess you didn't see that coming, eh? You hesitated because of allllll the legal crap you learn in CCW school, and all the doubters and Monday morning quarterbacks spouting their "brandishing" drivel here.....and now you are lying in your vehicle with a bullet hole between your eyes because you hesitated to use deadly force when it was totally justified. Game over.
    Is this fantasy enough for you?
    9MMare likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Wow, this thread has the potential to go Viral!

I think I am going to weigh in on the side that agrees the OP did well enough, having made it out of the situation with her life and honor intact, and without being charged with brandising. Unless she is currently behind bars and unable to post because she was picked up after the cycilst reported her for pointing a gun at him.

Should she have called the police to report the incident? Yes. Should she have called her friend to laugh about the cycilst reaction? No, but stress sometimes makes us do strange things.

I don't know how much training MP's actually get. I have never been in the military, but it's my understanding that the army used to be famous for assigning bakers as mechanics and putting artist in charge of the motor pool. Was the OP assigned to the MP's because they were short a few people and she was the next person being inducted?

The OP's reaction might not have been the same as a professional LEO's would have. Still, I think it was at least an effective reaction, as opposed to some one with no situational awarness falling for the "Interview" technique which is what the "Hey You" may have been.

Why did the cycilst stay on his bike? I don't know? Why did he reach for the car door? I don't know. None of us do. Perhaps we should Google search for post on facebook of someone reporting a female pointing a gun, then we can ask the guy.

Oh, and Sticks, you get a special award for the "clean the leads of the Crap-O-Meter, thats was funny.

Military definition of deadly force;

Deadly force is that force which a persons uses with the knowledge of causing death or serious bodily harm. Deadly force is only authorized after all lesser means have failed or cannot be reasonably employed.

She being military, is bound by the rules of the UCMJ.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    I disagree, there was a sequelae, she escaped with her life and got to tell us about it.
    Perhaps you should avail yourself of the definition of that word which means abnormal followup, here no arrests or injury.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    just wait until some Gorilla is hanging from your vehicle door trying to gain access, and lets see if you have the composure to check with your attorney before you draw your weapon. Oh, sorry. He just shot you through the window.
    According to her story the guy did not actually grab the door handle. This is a DISCUSSION guys, not an attack on anyone, not an arguments but a way to learn from possible scenarios, and PERHAPS a way to discern a troll from a real incident.

Though we might LIKE to think that we can produce a handgun and brandish it at a person who looks suspicious and is doing strange things, this does NOT qualify as a an event of the gravest extreme. The OP, as it is described should have used her CAR to escape or avoid the situation. PERIOD. No need for a handgun to be shown to anyone. THAT is precisely how you lose your permit.

THE DOORS WERE LOCKED. Who shoots through a locked door WHILE on a bicycle? WHO hijacks a car while astride a bicycle? It just strains credulity.

So again, no need to get all hot under the collar, but there is ample reason and opportunity to discuss the events, to analyze a story, to perhaps change one's opinions on how to react.

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Perhaps you should avail yourself of the definition of that word which means abnormal followup, here no arrests or injury.

According to her story the guy did not actually grab the door handle. This is a DISCUSSION guys, not an attack on anyone, not an arguments but a way to learn from possible scenarios, and PERHAPS a way to discern a troll from a real incident.

Though we might LIKE to think that we can produce a handgun and brandish it at a person who looks suspicious and is doing strange things, this does NOT qualify as a an event of the gravest extreme. The OP, as it is described should have used her CAR to escape or avoid the situation. PERIOD. No need for a handgun to be shown to anyone. THAT is precisely how you lose your permit.

THE DOORS WERE LOCKED. Who shoots through a locked door WHILE on a bicycle? WHO hijacks a car while astride a bicycle? It just strains credulity.

So again, no need to get all hot under the collar, but there is ample reason and opportunity to discuss the events, to analyze a story, to perhaps change one's opinions on how to react.
    Maybe you should buy another dictionary.
    Her telling us is a secondary result.

Definition of SEQUELA

: an aftereffect of disease, condition, or injury
    : a secondary result

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Hood Ape? Seriously?
    And Skell and hood rat and BG and dipstick and and all sorts of names for this guy have come out... What's your point?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Links