Had to Draw on Someone Last Night - Page 4

Had to Draw on Someone Last Night

This is a discussion on Had to Draw on Someone Last Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Things that make ya go Hmmmmmm!...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Had to Draw on Someone Last Night

Things that make ya go Hmmmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by BrunetteMP View Post
    I seem to have forgotten the drama that stirs on fourms such as this one. I appreciate the those who have shared thoughts on different ways this situation could have been different, or what others would have personally done at such a time. That being said, I stand fully confident in the spit second decisions I made given the circumstances. At the end of the day, my goal is to come to my family. If drawing on someone in a situation that happened quickly was my first thought of survival, it is just that. I carry, and I train for a reason. To protect myself and my family. In the military, I came to realize sometimes the least path to resistance is what gets you jacked up. Reality doesn't allow us to think politically, it forces us to act. For me when my life is threatened I will resort to my tactic of survival.
    Well being a woman, and a small one at that, you will always be able to claim "disparity of force" no matter who attempts to attack you. So even if he didn't have a weapon, you could claim justifiable use of a handgun.

A friend of mine was in a similar situation and drew his gun, but the person in question pulled a knife and demanded money.

Just remember that if you had been standing at a gas pump and the same guy had done what he did and approached you with no weapon and was just saying "hey", if you pull your weapon that IS brandishing and you could be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunetteMP View Post
    I seem to have forgotten the drama that stirs on fourms such as this one. I appreciate the those who have shared thoughts on different ways this situation could have been different, or what others would have personally done at such a time. That being said, I stand fully confident in the spit second decisions I made given the circumstances. At the end of the day, my goal is to come to my family. If drawing on someone in a situation that happened quickly was my first thought of survival, it is just that. I carry, and I train for a reason. To protect myself and my family. In the military, I came to realize sometimes the least path to resistance is what gets you jacked up. Reality doesn't allow us to think politically, it forces us to act. For me when my life is threatened I will resort to my tactic of survival.
    My inclination is to trust your judgement and your instincts on this one. I wasn't there and you come across as a person who has had some training and experience and is not given to hysterical or irrational responses. You stayed safe and all's well.

To the OP, you are home safe. In my book thats all that matters.
    TheGiant and bunker like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I always find it suspicious when the gun -brandishing person pulls his/her weapon on an unarmed (as far as we know) person of color, and afterwards laughs about him soiling his pants, and fails to notify police. Personally, I think someone didn't a pony for Christmas when they were six, and Daddy didn't pay enough attention to them.
    Sir (MadMac): While on this forum, we are all entitled to our opinions regarding how we handle events and percieve alternative courses of action, , your personal attack on BrunetteMP's personal character is entirely over the line and you, sir, should be significantly ashamed of your own conduct here towards the OP. You can disagree with her actions all day and all night long, but ad hominum arguments are never appropriate. At the same time, "Stick's" jab at YOU (MadMac) was also snarky in poor taste and not up to the usual respectful standards of our forum.

May you all have a Merry Christmas, and to the OP--stay safe and thanks for your service to our country.
    Sticks likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I always find it suspicious when the gun -brandishing person pulls his/her weapon on an unarmed (as far as we know) person of color, and afterwards laughs about him soiling his pants, and fails to notify police. Personally, I think someone didn't a pony for Christmas when they were six, and Daddy didn't pay enough attention to them.
    Well, I have to admit he does have a point. Lets run the scenario again and replace the large black man with a small nerdy white guy. Or lets replace them with a small woman or a young child. Lets say they were doing all of the same things, on a bicycle, yelling "hey you." Even reaching for the door handle.

However, I'm as guilty as anyone for profiling. I've said it before. When I'm walking in a public place I scope out every person and see what they are doing. I'm far more likely to pay attention to certain types of people than others. But race or size often has less to do with it than what they are wearing, how they are behaving, how is their haircut, do they have piercings or tattoos? Do they have the palms of their hands hidden? Are they keeping a hand in a pocket? A man in a business suit doesn't hardly even register.

Yesterday I was shocked to see 2 Muslim women in my local Wal-Mart wearing the full burqa. I've never seen that in person before, only on TV. (I live in Texas, after all) My first thought, I'm ashamed to admit, was "are those even women hiding under there? Look, there is room for a machine gun under there too." But in this case I think I've just seen too many TV shows and it was such an unusual sight for me it sent me into condition orange for a few seconds.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Glad you are armed. What if was just coming to tell you that your headlight bulb was out? :-)

I'm kidding. But, that thought did make me laugh.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    You did not know what his intentions were and still don't, nor do they matter now. You did what you had to do to go home, and not to the morgue, or become a rape victim. I say Good Job!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

BG may have had a gun in his pants and was trying to get closer to draw. She did well.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    So, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here... (I do so love to argue)

1. You see BIG BG approaching on bike

2. You confirmed the door locked, you moved the window up to a "safe" height.

3. The Badguy is walking along side your moving vehicle with a bike between his legs (which is uncomfortable, and slow, and awkward, BTW. And hence, a bit hard to be "aggressively" doing much of anything).

4. He is reaching for your door handle, which you know, because the door is locked, will be ineffectual.

5. And while still reversing, you draw your weapon and have to verbalize (in command voice) to get away from your car.

6. After BG freezes at the sight of your hand cannon, you continue reversing (at greater speed) and turn around and leave the vicinity.

Okay, so you're reversing at nearly the first sign of real trouble...good. You're not moving fast, and you have to check your rearview for other cars, etc. Not so good... division of attention...between your backing and the BG. Now, you are throwing a gun into the mix... more division of attention... More not so good.

Gun has desired effect... stops BG. Allows you to continue backing at greater speed, two hands on the wheel? Make a u turn and didi.

Gal, this had a great outcome... But the gun was probably as much of a hindrance as it was the effective tool to end the situation...

You're in a car... Dipstick has his bike tween his legs and his feets on the ground... Back up quickly. Uturn... get out of dodge... You are sitting in a 1.5 ton bullet. Forget the .3 -.4 ounces of bullet in the .40.

If he's really quick and goes into pursuit... he'd never catch you.... OTOH, if you let him think he can.... slowly catching up, let him get real close, and stop. Then drive on and report a hit and run...

Gun was unnecessary. But that's okay, I like it when brandishing does the trick...

"He advanced aggressively headed for the door handle".

I guess he learned an important lesson on how to approach a woman alone at night in her car.

No one was injured...big guys on bikes shouldn't approach women in cars at night, yet alone yell at them as they approach.
    I say the lady did just fine.
    jklowe48 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Worst case scenario, getting charged with brandishing beats getting jacked.

Big black guys on bikes should know better than to approach slight white females like that. And that's not being racist, that's being real. I'm a big white guy and I would never approach anyone, especially a small female at night, like that. I'm just north of the OP's state of residence, and I can tell you despite it being 50 years since the civil rights era, things are a little different in these parts than most of the rest of the USA regarding race relations. Like it or not, there are plenty of blacks that actively practice reverse discrimination, racism and prejudice, and will admit in a moment of candor that there is a certain way you conduct yourself in mixed race situations. Don't hate me for saying this, I'm just reporting the facts.

Even discounting the race issue, "Hey, hey you" while grabbing at the door handle is not a friendly greeting, especially when the other party is locking doors and rolling up windows.

That being said, it's true that race is not the issue unless the OP can articulate what makes it an issue.

OP can you better articulate what about the man spiked your fears other than his race and demeanor? Tenor of voice, style of dress, general attitude, bad vibes?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Interesting thread. As one that talks form the prior experience of having a handgun shoved in my face at bad breath distance, I'm now a big believer in not letting hinky acting strangers get close enough to complete whatever act they have in mind. Common spidey sense takes over and the brain goes into hyperdrive. This gal did what she felt was the proper move, at that particular time, with that particular set of circumstances handed to her. It was poor judgement (and very suspicious) for the BG to approach her as he did. If by some stretch his intentions were not bad, then she hurt his feelings and he'll get over it. She may have very well saved her life. None of us (including the OP) will really ever know for sure. My only criticism is that she didn't call 911 to report it. I think it's only prudent when a gun clears leather in public to do so.
    Yankeejib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    FL 812.133 Carjacking.

(1) "Carjacking" means the taking of a motor vehicle which may be the subject of larceny from the person or custody of another, with intent to either permanently or temporarily deprive the person or the owner of the motor vehicle, when in the course of the taking there is the use of force, violence, assault, or putting in fear
    (2)(a) If in the course of committing the carjacking the offender carried a firearm or other deadly weapon, then the carjacking is a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life imprisonment or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(b) If in the course of committing the carjacking the offender carried no firearm, deadly weapon, or other weapon, then the carjacking is a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3)(a) An act shall be deemed "in the course of committing the carjacking" if it occurs in an attempt to commit carjacking or in flight after the attempt or commission.

(b) An act shall be deemed "in the course of the taking" if it occurs either prior to, contemporaneous with, or subsequent to the taking of the property and if it and the act of taking constitute a continuous series of acts or events.

Take it as you will, anyone trying to enter a car without consent is guilty of a felony, and subject to stand your ground as well as castle doctrine. I'm not a lawyer, but I've owned a few. Intent is 90% of the law.

True story that happened to me about three years ago.......
    one of the few times I ever pointed a gun at anyone was in a Denny's parking lot in Kissimmee, Florida. Sunday night at 10PM I pulled into get something to eat after working out at the gym. Was involved in a heated phone call with my brother that I speak to about twice per year, so I was totally pre-occupied in conversation. As I am sitting in the parking lot still talking on the phone, a sleazy looking skinny blond woman walks around my vehicle from the passenger side and proceeds to move around the front to my drivers side door. I have the doors locked and the windows up, and was carrying my Glock 19 weak side in a fanny pack since I had just left the gym. Still speaking with my brother, I unzipped the fanny pack and put my right hand on the Glock and moved the phone to my left hand. She began to speak to me through the closed window. Annoyed as hades, I told my brother that some hooker wanted to speak to me, and I would call him back. I put the phone down and lowered the window slightly and asked her very bluntly....."What the xxxxx do you want?" All she would say was....."Wassupppp"? She repeated this line a couple of times after I continued to ask her the same question. Needless to say I did not know what her intentions were, but I immediately went from condition orange to Defcon I. Something was not good here, and I was in a car with the engine off. The Glock was held out of sight at the ready in my right hand....more or less pointed in her direction. Suddenly I caught a quick movement out of my right eye on the passenger side, and rapidly swung my head in that direction as two homies jumped on the front and back doors passenger side and were attempting furiously to gain entry. As I swung my head toward the two new threats on the passenger side, the Glock instinctively came to bear on the guy at the front of the vehicle. Instantly, the hooker on the drivers side screamed, "He's gotta a gun"!!!!!
    All three cock roaches scrambled to beat a hasty retreat at the sight of the Glock.
    I started the engine of my vehicle and got out of the parking lot while dialing 911 to report the attempted car jacking. I spied a city cop car a block away and stopped to speak with them and relayed my story including my part about the Glock.
    Young cop just smiled and told me that they knew excactly who I had described and said it was the third time that night they had attempted to jack a car. He also said, "Lucky for them that you had the ability to keep from pulling the trigger as this was obviously a car jacking situation even thought they had not gained entry to your vehicle".

Take it for what is worth. True story. Haven't been back to that Denny's since.
    wishyouwell likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Big black guys on bikes should know better than to approach slight white females like that. And that's not being racist
    Oh yes it is. If "big white men on bikes" have different privileges, with respect to whom they may safely approach, then it really is.

To the OP: Well done. The way I see it, whether the BG in this story has a knife or not, is astride a bike or not, isn't all that important. Those are factors, sure, but the important thing is that you became aware of an attack and did so in time to effect a successful defense. That's great SA, and winning tactics.

What really shines here is that you responded immediately. Where other people become victims is often a result of a delay in threat recognition. We know this because of their own testimony following street attacks. Over and over you'll read things like, "it looked funny but I wasn't sure," and "I couldn't believe this was actually happening," etc.

By the time such victims are genuinely certain that they are in trouble, it's too late. This is the gift of regular, focused training: you shorten your reaction time, make better decisions, and don't choke in the clutch.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links