Had to Draw on Someone Last Night - Page 5

Had to Draw on Someone Last Night

This is a discussion on Had to Draw on Someone Last Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I Originally Posted by zonker1986 True story that happened to me about three years ago....... one of the few times I ever pointed a gun ...

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Had to Draw on Someone Last Night

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    True story that happened to me about three years ago.......
    one of the few times I ever pointed a gun at anyone was in a Denny's parking lot in Kissimmee, Florida. Sunday night at 10PM I pulled into get something to eat after working out at the gym. Was involved in a heated phone call with my brother that I speak to about twice per year, so I was totally pre-occupied in conversation. As I am sitting in the parking lot still talking on the phone, a sleazy looking skinny blond woman walks around my vehicle from the passenger side and proceeds to move around the front to my drivers side door. I have the doors locked and the windows up, and was carrying my Glock 19 weak side in a fanny pack since I had just left the gym. Still speaking with my brother, I unzipped the fanny pack and put my right hand on the Glock and moved the phone to my left hand. She began to speak to me through the closed window. Annoyed as hades, I told my brother that some hooker wanted to speak to me, and I would call him back. I put the phone down and lowered the window slightly and asked her very bluntly....."What the xxxxx do you want?" All she would say was....."Wassupppp"? She repeated this line a couple of times after I continued to ask her the same question. Needless to say I did not know what her intentions were, but I immediately went from condition orange to Defcon I. Something was not good here, and I was in a car with the engine off. The Glock was held out of sight at the ready in my right hand....more or less pointed in her direction. Suddenly I caught a quick movement out of my right eye on the passenger side, and rapidly swung my head in that direction as two homies jumped on the front and back doors passenger side and were attempting furiously to gain entry. As I swung my head toward the two new threats on the passenger side, the Glock instinctively came to bear on the guy at the front of the vehicle. Instantly, the hooker on the drivers side screamed, "He's gotta a gun"!!!!!
    All three cock roaches scrambled to beat a hasty retreat at the sight of the Glock.
    I started the engine of my vehicle and got out of the parking lot while dialing 911 to report the attempted car jacking. I spied a city cop car a block away and stopped to speak with them and relayed my story including my part about the Glock.
    Young cop just smiled and told me that they knew excactly who I had described and said it was the third time that night they had attempted to jack a car. He also said, "Lucky for them that you had the ability to keep from pulling the trigger as this was obviously a car jacking situation even thought they had not gained entry to your vehicle".

Take it for what is worth. True story. Haven't been back to that Denny's since.
    Good story.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Nice Job

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I always find it suspicious when the gun -brandishing person pulls his/her weapon on an unarmed (as far as we know) person of color, and afterwards laughs about him soiling his pants, and fails to notify police. Personally, I think someone didn't a pony for Christmas when they were six, and Daddy didn't pay enough attention to them.
    Well, you are not a woman, for one thing. When it comes to disparity of force, for me, he absolutely doesnt have to be armed. If he gets into the vehicle, he very possibly can kill me. I mean....why exactly would he be trying to get in?

As that was the OP's genuine belief (gross bodily harm or death), then IMO she was justified in her actions. Only she could read that cyclist's body language. And since she truly believed it, then she also deserves, IMO, to feel good about her actions in preserving her own safety. Her training and mental conditioning paid off.

There are certainly enough other people in the thread quite satisfied that another BG 'got his' and dont mind saying so. I think we all feel good when right triumphs over wrong.

And the last comment about the pony is just uncalled for.
    Last edited by 9MMare; December 17th, 2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Originally forgot to add last sentence.
    Sticks, wmhawth and Bark'n like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    right triumphs over wrong.
    So saying, "Hey, you!," and riding a bike toward her car is "wrong" and pulling a gun on an unarmed man approaching your car is "right"?

Gotcha.

I understand the POSSIBILITIES, but the guy was NOT in the car with her, nor did the OP describe someone attempting to enter said vehicle.

...just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    BG may have had a gun in his pants and was trying to get closer to draw. She did well.
    Yeah - I once saw a big, scary looking guy walking toward me. He could have had a gun in pants. Time to draw? I mean, you never know, do you?

So saying, "Hey, you!," and riding a bike toward her car is "wrong" and pulling a gun on an unarmed man approaching your car is "right"?

Gotcha.

I understand the POSSIBILITIES, but the guy was NOT in the car with her, nor did the OP describe someone attempting to enter said vehicle.

...just sayin'...
    Try reading again....she read his body language...SHE SAW him and read his intentions. She made her decision based on her determination of that. It was possible he was going to sell her Girl Scout cookies too, but nothing in his demeanor indicated that.

Now you claim she should have let him get into the car before attempting self defense? Someone reaching for a door handle sounds like they intend to enter the vehicle to me.

Seriously? I already wrote why I would not wait and feel that I am justified in that decision.

BTW, any male above about 10 yrs old calling out to me and approaching me in my car puts me on guard. And if a woman does so, I'm looking around for any counteparts. I immediately, as did the OP, start taking precautions. Further indications of aggression or suspicion encourage me to continually up my level of action. Retreat being the first of those, if possible.

But no way do I wait for someone to get within reach of physical harm before acting if I can help it. Because that is 'reacting'...and is often too late.
    Sticks likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Gotcha.

...just sayin'...
    You can be "just sayin" all you want but there is no reason for some of the comments you have made.

There is no logical explanation for approaching her vehicle. If he wanted to talk, her window was down and he obviously had her attention, he could have done so without approaching. A strange person walking up and reaching for the door handle of her locked car is no different than trying to enter her locked home...both actions will be met with a drawn firearm I would imagine and she would most definately be in the right.

You need to stop being a pedantic contrarian trying to find fault in every scenario you see...its rather annoying.

Gotcha.

...just sayin'...
    From my wife -

OK MadMac, the day that you can be carried off, raped and violated. is the day that you can lecture women on a sense of personal safety, and what types of reactions to a perceived threat are appropriate.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar

Gotcha.

...just sayin'...
    "he advanced aggressively headed for the door handle"

These were the OP original words, which, IMO, is plenty for her to draw.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I'll stand behind my MM quartebacking.. even in Zonker's story, the similarities end when you have 2 physically trying the doors... To the OP again, I got no probelm with what you did.. I merely offered ways that it might have been different, maybe (maybe not) better...

You are in a car... you have engaged reverse and are starting to back up... You have apparently determined that the way is clear for you to continue backing and turn around... Do it and get out of dodge... no sense in dividing your attention between two completely different modalities... You are already in a "missle"... no sense trying to control 9 -14 more coming out the end of a gun...

The gun was always available "in the gravest extreme" but you hadn't reached that yet... and had opportunity to get away...

A guy, straddling a bike, reaching for your door handle, ain't simultaneously reaching for a gun in his baggies. He's got NO control of anything if he does so...

I have no problem with the brandishing, though you probably should have called police to report it... I'll admit to brandishing in a less hinky situatuation, and, I didn't report that either... (correction- not brandishing, but displaying a holstered weapon).

In the end, you walked away, no... drove away... no harm no foul.

I look at all of these scenarios, whether fictional or real, as opportunities to learn... to file away for future reference (for myself) what I might do in a similar situation. Some day, I may have a situation occur which I will post (I've already done so once, as RE: the display of a holstered weapon) ... and I will offer it up to the sacrificial flames, warts and all, and hope that I get some constructive criticism... without any bashing...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

In these situations I try to remember The "Reasonable Man" doctrine for self-defense.
    I've included a link to the article

International Personal Self-Defense Blog by Robb Hamic: The "Reasonable Man" doctrine for self-defense
    AZJD1968, Yankeejib and 9MMare like this.

only thing I have to say is either drive or shoot, but don't attempt to do both..but this is a training issue.
    bunker likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm just a dumb Infantryman. I'm not going to try to lecture a trained MP when or when not to draw her sidearm.

No second guessing here, soldier. I say you did good.

‘Castle Doctrine’ revised(NC)
    Effective 1Dec2011
    North Carolina’s new “Castle Doctrine” law, which addresses certain circumstances under which a person can legally shoot or use other deadly force against another, takes effect Thursday.

North Carolina’s current Castle Doctrine only applies to homes, but under the new law it also applies to vehicles and places of work. The Castle Doctrine, rooted in English common law, expresses the belief that one should be safe from illegal intrusion in one’s home.

The new law is much longer and clarifies when deadly force can be used.

New law more specific

The new law defines a person’s home as any property with a roof where the person lives and also includes “curtilage,” which is the area immediately around a home. It defines a person’s workplace as any property with a roof used for commercial purposes. It says a home or workplace can be temporary or permanent and specifically says either one can be a tent.

Under the new law, the lawful occupant of a home, motor vehicle or workplace isn’t required to retreat prior to using deadly force.

The new law presumes that a person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter one of these locations intends to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.

The new law presumes that a lawful occupant of a home, motor vehicle or workplace reasonably fears imminent death or serious bodily harm to himself, herself or another when using defensive force likely to cause death or serious injury if:

• the person against whom defensive force was used was unlawfully and forcefully entering or had already entered a motor vehicle, or workplace, or if the person had taken or was trying to take another person against his will from the home, motor vehicle or workplace;

Good job But agreed Notify the Police.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar

Gotcha.

...just sayin'...
    I'm bigger than the guy that the OP had problems with and even I would have pulled out my weapon if that same thing happen to me. So are you saying that one should wait until the guy pulls out a gun or a knife to make your move? Someone acting the way that guy was acting was clearly looking to rob her or even worst......

The only problem I see is her not calling the police. When I someone had to meet the end of my 9mm, I not only called the police that night but went down to see the chief himself the next day.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links