Had to Draw on Someone Last Night

This is a discussion on Had to Draw on Someone Last Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac BTW, ask your wife if she thinks it's OK to draw down on any man who approaches her in an "aggessive" ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Had to Draw on Someone Last Night

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

BTW, ask your wife if she thinks it's OK to draw down on any man who approaches her in an "aggessive" way. It's logical he has the proper equipment for rapine, and since he's a guy he can overpower her. Time to shoot, right?
    No sir, not "time to shoot". But rather, time to drive away, just like the OPer did.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

2. Remove Ads

2) petition the mods to have me tossed off the boards because you disagree with my critical analysis.
    Analysis based upon what? Your extensive experience drawing your firearm in many different Self Defense situations? Or are you merely pulling things out of your rear end and trying to pass them off as "critical analysis"?

If someone doesn't want their actions "nitpicked" or Monday-morning quarterbacked, they are free to keep their personal experiences to themselves. The reason this board exists is to examine these scenarios in the cold, harsh light of day, and see it as a potential jury may see it. It also allows us to scrutinize the stated scenario for credibility. I find it lacking in this case.
    To be in a position to scrutinize you must first yourself establish some kind of credibility. Something that gives you a frame of reference or some kind of training or experience that puts you in a position to make the judgements that you are. I find it lacking in this case.

Personally, the people I find annoying are those that seem to believe their gun is the solution to every safety problem they have, or refuse to look critically at posted events and to clarify their own perspective.
    Your perspective is irrelevant...you were not in the situation.

Simply cheerleading and rooting for someone that pulls out their carry piece is boring, and predictable from many posters. Of course, this is the intertubez, and you must be your own best Bee Ess screener. Just because someone posted a scenario doesn't mean it actually happened.
    A made up scenario is usually posted as such.

After reviewing the OP and some other data in this thread, I now highly suspect the OP's account is fabricated. There are simply too many internal inconsistencies in the account, including her reaction to the perceived assault.
    What you suspect is irrelevant. Your opinions on her reactions to her percieved threat is also irrelevant...you were not there and could not possibly know.

If she really throught she was about to be raped (as some with overactive imaginations here believe), she wouldn't be yukking it up with her buddies after the fact about the perceived rapist. ...and she would have notified the police about a suspected cycling rapist on the streets.
    Who knows what she thought other than she felt her weapon being drawn was prudent. If you have questions or what to clarify what happened I would ask her questions, but adding your own color commentary based upon what you THINK happened is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    Who knows what she thought other than she felt her weapon being drawn was prudent. If you have questions or what to clarify what happened I would ask her questions, but adding your own color commentary based upon what you THINK happened is just stupid.
    Obvisouly, the OP thought her actions prudent. Everyone's opinion on ANY thread such as this is based on what they think happened, is it not? One can only surmise based on the scenario presented. I guess your opinion and everyone else's is "stupid" as well.

Also, I never assume what anyone posts is actually what happened. Prudent skepticism is a valid perspective on any such posts from people we don't know. What is stupid is accepting anything posted on a chat board as entirely accurate.

Please apprise us of the minimum training and experience standards you would expect from anyone posting here on any self-defense scenario. I wasn't aware opinions were only sought from self-defense "experts".

Can someone who had a finicky Kimber post his or her opinions of the firearm, or do they need to be a certified pistolsmith?

Since many states have shall-issue ccw permits, can only recognized "experts" in self-defense opine and discuss the topics here? How does one establish his or her credibility on this topic with you? What classes must they take, and what experience is required in your opinion? I'm curious.

I'm especially interested in the feelings of the board moderators. What do they think are the prerequisites for posting an opinion?

"My opinion of others is based on the opinions they espouse". Billspider 2011

pon·tif·i·cate
    speak pompously: to speak about something in a knowing and self-important way, especially when not qualified to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    "My opinion of others is based on the opinions they espouse". Billspider 2011

pon·tif·i·cate
    speak pompously: to speak about something in a knowing and self-important way, especially when not qualified to do so
    Let me ask again: what are your minimum qualifications to post an opinion here?

Personally, I'd rather hear from civilians who have NEVER had to clear leather with their self-defense weapon than from civilians who have done so numerous times. (Notice I don't include LEOs or military here). The person who needs to resort to his concealed weapon on numerous occasions is someone who is getting themself in dangerous situations.

Obvisouly, the OP thought her actions prudent. Everyone's opinion on ANY thread such as this is based on what they think happened, is it not? One can only surmise based on the scenario presented. I guess your opinion and everyone else's is "stupid" as well.
    You are unable to ask clarifying questions to better understand what happened? Thus far I have only seen you fill in your own blanks and make assumptions based upon that. Doing THAT is stupid.

Also, I never assume what anyone posts is actually what happened. Prudent skepticism is a valid perspective on any such posts from people we don't know. What is stupid is accepting anything posted on a chat board as entirely accurate.
    What does it matter if it is or is not accurate? Take the information provided, if something doesn't click in your mind ask the question and wait for an answer. Don't fill in the blank for yourself and then draw your conclusions from that.

Please apprise us of the minimum training and experience standards you would expect from anyone posting here on any self-defense scenario. I wasn't aware opinions were only sought from self-defense "experts".
    I merely said your opinion was irrelevant, not that you cannot offer it up.

Can someone who had a finicky Kimber post his or her opinions of the firearm, or do they need to be a certified pistolsmith?
    Are you honestly attempting to compare a gun malfunction to the reactions of people under stress and the decisions that they make?

Since many states have shall-issue ccw permits, can only recognized "experts" in self-defense opine and discuss the topics here? How does one establish his or her credibility on this topic with you? What classes must they take, and what experience is required in your opinion? I'm curious.
    They must not be someone that takes limited information and fills in the blanks in the story with their own color commentary. An intelligent person would realize that under stress people are going to react in any number of ways and calling that into question when you were not in the situation is just plain stupid.

I'm especially interested in the feelings of the board moderators. What do they think are the prerequisites for posting an opinion?
    There are no prerequisites for posting an opinion...I merely stated your opinion is irrelevant. Sorry if that hurt your feelings..but the truth often does.

...speaking of irrelevant opinions....

I personally believe all points here are valid , and deserve the consideration of an open mind. When you get to the point where you can't put aside your own ideas, and weigh someone else's to a logical conclusion, it's time to stop carrying because you have become a concrete thinker and can no longer be counted on to think about all the possibilities of your actions and potential consequences.
    wmhawth and MadMac like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Let me see if I have this right? She is in her car, a large man on a bike is approaching her AGGRESSIVELY and yelling at her. She gets her gun (from the seat next to her) in hand, says "get away from my car", backs up, turns around and drives away..........

I don't have to ask anyone what they would have done differently in that situation. I personally would have done that exact same thing and I expect my wife and daughters to do the same.

This thread has gotten WAY out of hand!
    The only problem i have is she backed up and drove off recklessly.
    No need to retreat in the state of Nc now. Hb650 fixed that.

hold your ground woman! screw that guy!

Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    The only problem i have is she backed up and drove off recklessly.
    No need to retreat in the state of Nc now. Hb650 fixed that.

hold your ground woman! screw that guy!

Hi Gunther
    I'm very happy we here in NC had HB650 go through to be able to stand our ground but I think it may not always be the best option she choose what was right for her at the time and deployed her weapon as a deterrent instead of taking a life which is a very hard line to cross and not allot of people are prepared for that . Many here post on what they would do in that situation but until you have crossed that line as many of us here in the Military and law enforcement have it is a very hard thing to live with and not to be taken lightly . Even with the law in effect I would still try to defuse and evade the situation such as she did only to take a life as a last resort .
    Also by the way My Daughter goes to ECU in Greenville "Go Pirates" Keep Safe ! maybe I will run into some day :}
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

The Castle Doctrine is not the end all get get to do what you want answer.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I personally believe all points here are valid , and deserve the consideration of an open mind. When you get to the point where you can't put aside your own ideas, and weigh someone else's to a logical conclusion, it's time to stop carrying because you have become a concrete thinker and can no longer be counted on to think about all the possibilities of your actions and potential consequences.
    Agreed.

And not pulling the trigger definitely leaves one with fewer potential consequences.
    Sticks likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The Castle Doctrine is not the end all get get to do what you want answer.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is. In this case however it would certainly have applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is. In this case however it would certainly have applied.
    Better re-read with a different mindset.... think from a prosecutor's POV. And start with telling me how you can agressively do much of anything with a bicycle cross bar in your crotch with your feet planted on the ground...

And since you're heavy into this new castle doctrine of the OP's state... Imagine if you will; me standing outside your house door... you can see me through the peephole. If I "aggressively reach for the door knob" at what point is it legal for you to kill me dead? When I have reached the door knob? Before? After I turn it? Or, when I kick in the door because it was locked? Before I gain entry or after?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

^^^^^^This^^^^^is food for thought, and really all I believe anyone is suggesting. I wasn't there, but, I have been in situation such as the one last year, where I was attacked by 2 men, one with a stick. I had a G26 IWB and never thought once about using it, as the situation did not call for it....at that time.

Also, in the hood, it is perfectly normal for people to ride up to people they believe they may know. They, ( hood rats) have a different way of living that most may not understand.
    What may be unacceptable for us is the norm there.

That's why it's important to stay cool.
    MadMac likes this.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links