Under attack.... One good shot

This is a discussion on Under attack.... One good shot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; COM, give a liberal dose until symptoms stop....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Under attack.... One good shot

COM, give a liberal dose until symptoms stop.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Oh gee... pelvic girdle? nope... (my cannon's in ths shop, for mopping) COM 'til the threat stops...

One, very good shot? "Okay BG, hold real still now... I gotta drill your MO, and moving makes that nigh onto impossible... but I'm feeling mucho lucky today!"
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    So I'm guessing here. DTCM= Direct(ly) To Center Mass?

^^^^^^^^Double Tap Center Mass^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Right in the clock work until the threat is neutralized.

The collective responses are spot on. What you don't want to do is shoot once, look and see if the shot was effective, shoot again, look again, etc. Focus on the front sight and the threat and keep shooting (and moving!) until the threat ceases.
    rdpG19 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

since the scenario calls for only one shot, would have to go center mass.....if it called for two, would still go center mass......
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I liked what Guantes recommended a while back, zip them up. keep shooting till the threat stops or you empty the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    How come you only get one shot? I shoot COM until the attacker is done
    Thats the scenario. Only ONE GOOD shot. Work with me. So where would YOU shoot with only one good shot. Its easy to say "spray 'em till they drop", but I wanna know where you would aim with only ONE good shot.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    First of all I glad he didn't have to use his firearm and the aggressive guy took off.When I took my training for ccw 10 years ago
    I was told you need to draw an imaginary circle of 21 feet around you placing you and your love ones in the center because
    anyone with a club ,knife get past that mark you will be hurt.I would always shoot at center mass as it presents the largest
    target and the groin area if you hit the femoral artery the bad guy will bleed out rather fast. Our trainers told my class in most self defense incidents where firearms are discharged the shooter usually keeps pulling the trigger until the pistol is empty.

My training has always been to shoot center of mass. COM being the center of what ever mass is visible. I would hate to limit myself to only one round.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Depends upon which gun I had on me. Not being smart, that's a truthful answer. I can shoot some a bit better than others, and there is one gun I have.... I don't know why, but I'ld shoot the knat off a dog's nose at any distance without hurting the dog (but it's not a carry type gun).

Just generally speaking, depends .... but most likely upper center chest.

Although we would all generally say COM until the threat is stopped, there are situations that can and do occur where you may have time only for one well placed shot and that's it.
    So, it's a consideration.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Situation happens that fast and close I train to point shoot so COM, How I train DTCM point shooting moving third shot is from high ready aimed.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    Thats the scenario. Only ONE GOOD shot. Work with me. So where would YOU shoot with only one good shot. Its easy to say "spray 'em till they drop", but I wanna know where you would aim with only ONE good shot.
    THE "one good shot" target:

lm-hs001s.jpg

Link to source of picture: here
    Law Enforcement Targets, Inc.

You are giving me an aimed shot. This is my target.

The reality is: "Zip 'em up."
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    OK no shoot till they drop scenario but I need to know is this a reaction to a BG with a gun or knife or a hostage stand off or just what? The rest of the story is needed to know the point of aim that is needed.

If I'm reacting to a situation then I want the first good solid hit on the BG. If it is a hostage situation then you better be able to hit the kill button in the head. Are you that good?
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

What would MadMac do?

The only reason I can think of for taking just one shot, is carrying a relic "one round" handgun.

I'm with the majority, at contact distance, get off the "X", fire at COM until the threat is stopped, then scan for his buddies - if any.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links