Under attack.... One good shot

This is a discussion on Under attack.... One good shot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't carry a gun to kill but stop the treat. Shoot until all forward movement is stopped and you control them...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Under attack.... One good shot

I don't carry a gun to kill but stop the treat. Shoot until all forward movement is stopped and you control them

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I don't carry a gun to kill but stop the treat. Shoot until all forward movement is stopped and you control them
    You might want to re-think that one. Lot's of different ways a threat can be stopped, lack of forward movement does not mean the BG is no longer a threat, it's just the BG is no longer coming at you. A BG laying on the ground (for the sake of argument - collapsed from the shock of being shot) with weapon in hand and the ability to use that weapon against you is still a threat.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    You might want to re-think that one. Lot's of different ways a threat can be stopped, lack of forward movement does not mean the BG is no longer a threat, it's just the BG is no longer coming at you. A BG laying on the ground (for the sake of argument - collapsed from the shock of being shot) with weapon in hand and the ability to use that weapon against you is still a threat.

you are correct but failed to read or relate to the rest of the statment "Shoot until all forward movement is stopped and you control them" so it you contoll them the BG will no longer have a gun or be a threat to you

edit: if foward movement stops and BG is in retreat by law in most states you can't keep shooting (texas you can)

Quote Originally Posted by 82d DIVARTY View Post
    I would go for a center mass shot. With all the adrenaline pumping and nerves on edge it's just seems like a safe bet to go for the largest target. I practice center mass shots and head shots at least 2-3 times a month at the range and can make them with ease, but the little green man on the paper is not trying to kill me. If I was super ninja cool I would make the first shot to the pelvic girdle. That would drop him where he stands and is a larger target then the head/ brain stem shot and no chance of him getting to me before be bled out and went into shock.
    I do the same. I practice around 21feet minimum, rapid fire shots using reset on P30 V3, I can keep all 15+1 shots in a reverse z pattern with the parallel lines being 2 bullets. Center mass is the way to go..

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    you are correct but failed to read or relate to the rest of the statment "Shoot until all forward movement is stopped and you control them" so it you contoll them the BG will no longer have a gun or be a threat to you

edit: if foward movement stops and BG is in retreat by law in most states you can't keep shooting (texas you can)
    Hmmm....I be thinking long and hard before I approached to contact distance what I thought was an incapacitated BG with a weapon in hand or nearby. Definitely not touching them.

Retreat. BG retreating from you and still taking shots at you is still a threat.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Agree with shooting COM until the threat is no more. But with the given situation I would probably turn and run (unless mitigating circumstances like I was cornered or Wife with me). I'm assuming that my feet are quicker than a brick, and while I would emerge victorious if drew and fired I'm going to assume I'll still be hit by the brick. I'd rather not be hit with a brick.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I suppose COM would be practical. Or maybe take away his brick and hit him with it. Sorry,that is the redneck in me coming out.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Not everyone can shoot like John McClane. Shoot COM until the treat is stopped.
    I can, I just say whatever I hit was what I was shooting at..............:)
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I practice two shots center mass one shot head, (3 seconds) which is what I would "probably" do in a real situation. If I had only one bullet, center mass.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

sgb
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You present your firearm in the face of imminent danger--I just cannot understand how anyone can think of anything other than protecting themselves and not worrying about the BG who is about to do you harm. As others have said, if you even have a thought that killing someone in defense of yourself or your family/friends is questionable, you have no reason to be walking around with a firearm that will end up being used on you.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    Agree with shooting COM until the threat is no more. But with the given situation I would probably turn and run (unless mitigating circumstances like I was cornered or Wife with me). I'm assuming that my feet are quicker than a brick, and while I would emerge victorious if drew and fired I'm going to assume I'll still be hit by the brick. I'd rather not be hit with a brick.
    Depending on the distance, I agree, fleeing from a brick might be possible if the starting distance was something like ten or twelve feet. At closer distances he might be able to still hit you with the brick as you flee. IF he hits you in the back of the head with a brick your going down, then your at his mercy. I doubt even an olympic sprinter is not going to be able to outrun a thrown brick. Conversely I doubt most people could throw a brick more that thirty or forty feet. Since the Tulller drill tells us that an average human can cover twenty one feet in 1.5 seconds, it would take about 2 seconds to go thirty feet. A thrown brick will be traveling faster that an average human can run. If you had enough head start you might be able to run out of the range of the brick, but I'm not betting on my chances.

For proof that a thrown object travels faster than a runner, look at a baseball hit to third base. The distance from home to first is 90 feet, and the distance from third to first is 127 feet. The ball has to travel from the bat to the third baseman, and then be picked up and thrown to first faster than the runner can run from home to first. Assuming that the act of fielding the ball and the runnner completing his swing and starting to run are about the same, it's very rare for a baserunner to beat a cleanly fielded ball thrown from third to first. In fact it's probably a 50 percent chance that the ball could be thrown from third to second, then to first, (double play).

Shoot center of mass of what is exposed to you.

What that means is if his whole body is open, shoot center mass of the chest/torso area. If he's behind some sort of cover and only his head is exposed, shoot for the center mass of the head.

Body armor is also a consideration. If you are sure you are making center of mass hits on his torso which are failing to stop, then go to the head.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'd put one right below the sternum, but seriously, the whole "one shot" thing really isn't a viable scenario.. The "perfect shot" under duress is going to be more like "they lucky shot".
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Center mass. Always center mass unless they have no effect and the assumption is body armor. Then you go for the head but, a head shot is very, very difficult to make under the stress of shooting to defend your life. Most people completely underestimate how lousy of a shot they will be once that adrenaline gets dumped into the blood stream.

And why just one shot? I will fire until the threat stop. If it takes one shot that's great. If it takes 15, so be it. As the saying goes, it isn't enough to shoot them until you think they are dead, you have to shoot them until THEY think they are dead.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links