Short read on the dangers involved in intervening in someone else's situation - Page 3

Short read on the dangers involved in intervening in someone else's situation

This is a discussion on Short read on the dangers involved in intervening in someone else's situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Eaglebeak Great article, and it should be a mandatory read for all CC classes. I was in the military and took many ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Short read on the dangers involved in intervening in someone else's situation

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Great article, and it should be a mandatory read for all CC classes.

I was in the military and took many lives while "intervening" on someone else's behalf because it was my job and ordered duty. I've also had to drop the hammer on a couple of BGs during my LE stint while "intervening" to enforce the law on someone else's behalf because that was also my job and ordered duty. However, as Joe Citizen with a CC, I now have no orders, assigned duty, or any obligation to intervene into anything that's none of my business because my only current obligation is to protect my life, the lives of my family, and my home. Everybody else who chooses not to carry for their own defense is simply going to have to rely on LE or the military because I've aready fulfilled my obligation to cover everyone's backsides.

That may sound pretty cold and heartless; but, aside from the unbelievable legal ordeal that follows any shooting, I can promise everyone that there are no heroic thoughts, desirable publicity, self admiration, or warm and fuzzy feelings after taking a life because the face of each and every one at the moment of your bullet's impact will be burned into your mind for the rest of your life - and there will be many times that one of those faces will suddenly jolt you awake at night in a cold sweat.

My intervention duties and obligations on anyone else's behalf are over and have been duly passed into the hands of those active military and LE personel who currently bear that obligated duty. I try not to get into "armchair quarterbacking" of everyone's hypothetical scenarios regarding situations not directly concerning me because my intervention into those will be limited to covering my weapon in defensive mode, taking up "drag position" behind my family as we get the hell away from what's going down, and calling 911 on my cell phone after we're at a safe distance.

WELL SAID! Thank you.

Seems the person who would,at the proper time, intervene to protect the life of another human being is shown as some gung-ho glory seeking mindless twit who rushes in without a clue or care in the world. While the person who says that they would not get involved regardless of the situation are patted on the back as being rational grounded and intouch with reality. Anyone who would risk their life for another is somehow stupid for doing so. Why think of the legal fees? the time and cost! There are as many if not more instances where folks have stepped in and saved peoples lives. To say under no circumstances will you ever step in to help another only shows how you are the one who needs self examination. Sorry i couldnt wouldnt live that way. If i can do something to help another i will do it. I dont have a death wish, but to live with such a cold heart uncaring about anyone else but my own means i am dead already. Seeing no other posts that reflect my kind of thinking i am sure to catch all kinds of hell. I will be called foolish naive stupid the works. Since i am not nor ever been military or an LEO i will be written off as some idiot out for his own glory. I wish there was someone out there who would post with vast experience in the military or lEO who as a civilian stepped in and save anothers life. And tell us about how they regret the hassle of doing so.This countries rich history is long in instances of neighbors or towns folks coming together to help one another. There isnt a history of Americans sitting out fights because the cost is too high to their pocket books.

Joh 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by aworldexport View Post
    Seems the person who would,at the proper time, intervene to protect the life of another human being is shown as some gung-ho glory seeking mindless twit who rushes in without a clue or care in the world. While the person who says that they would not get involved regardless of the situation are patted on the back as being rational grounded and intouch with reality. Anyone who would risk their life for another is somehow stupid for doing so. Why think of the legal fees? the time and cost! There are as many if not more instances where folks have stepped in and saved peoples lives. To say under no circumstances will you ever step in to help another only shows how you are the one who needs self examination. Sorry i couldnt wouldnt live that way. If i can do something to help another i will do it. I dont have a death wish, but to live with such a cold heart uncaring about anyone else but my own means i am dead already. Seeing no other posts that reflect my kind of thinking i am sure to catch all kinds of hell. I will be called foolish naive stupid the works. Since i am not nor ever been military or an LEO i will be written off as some idiot out for his own glory. I wish there was someone out there who would post with vast experience in the military or lEO who as a civilian stepped in and save anothers life. And tell us about how they regret the hassle of doing so.This countries rich history is long in instances of neighbors or towns folks coming together to help one another. There isnt a history of Americans sitting out fights because the cost is too high to their pocket books.

Joh 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
    Personally, I don't really disagree with you. I think it's simply a personal choice. I don't think you are going to "catch all kinds of hell", at least not from me. But the fact of the matter is that the "rich history" that you speak of is unfortunately changing due to the evolution of our society. These days, if you come to the aid of another, you are just as likely to get sued by that person as you are to get a pat on the back. Another example, doctors are getting out of medicine because of the high cost of malpractice insurance. It has nothing to do with whether or not they care about people. It all ties back to our screwed up legal system.

This is one of the central issues that troubles me about concealed carry. As written in my previous post, I have made the choice that I will not put my family at risk by getting involved in the protection of a stranger. The consequence of that would be the guilt that I would have to live with if someone were to get hurt while I chose to sit on the sideline. For me, I am willing to live with the guilt rather than expose my family to financial hardship. Is it selfish? Yes.

But I submit that there is no right or wrong here. It's just that we would choose differently.

The important thing about this thread is not to weigh in on which side of the fence one would fall, but rather to give all of us the facts so that we can make our own decision. Without knowing the potential consequences of our actions, it would be impossible to make the correct decision for each of us as individuals.

My two cents,
    Doc
    NYCrulesU and Doghandler like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aworldexport View Post
    There isnt a history of Americans sitting out fights because the cost is too high to their pocket books.
    Well to your point, you should think about those things because while you are correct, America does have a glorious and rich history for banding together and helping friends and neighbors, sadly those days are in the past.

The America of the last 30 years has a history of being one most litigious societies on the planet. I'm not even sure if Australia has more lawsuits per capita than the US does anymore, but if we aren't the highest we are pretty darn close...

A while back while driving south on rt. 301 in Delaware the vehicle ahead of me had it's passenger door wide open while traveling. The passengernin the pickup was being punched repeatedly and the driver would let go of the wheel yank the person back as they tried to exit and punch more. Great view huge back window in the truck. Called 911 followed for quite a while as my
    Wife and I thought it was an abduction. Finally lost the vehicle but the troopers caught it. When we pulled over it turned out it was a domestic fight. One of the troopers raised his voice to me and said And How Did You Get Involved In this! I immediately looked at my wife and said it must be normal to wup on your women down here got in our car and left. Never help other than my own again.

No good deed goes unpunished. Plain and simple. I've spent many years of my life serving in the military and in LE. I've saved countless lives and taken others. As a civilian I've instinctively rushed into burning apartments to evacuate tenants to safety, I've helped save two heart attack victims, I saved a young boy from being assaulted by an older man when I was only 15 myself...and so many other thing small and large scale too numerous to list.

For the first 10 or so years together my wife would alway ask me, "Why does it always have to be you?". Meaning...why are you always the one to run to someones aid or to fight for those who can't/won't fight for themselves. And I would reply, "Because no one else will."

Fast forward a few years of watching society become what it is. Seeing 90% scum and 10% decent citizen. Watching our government destroy itself and so on. Now? I protect me and mine. I have zero obligation to anyone else. Maybe, just maybe on the right day under the right circumstance I might step in for someone else. Slim maybe. Other than that I protect my wife/kids, teach them how to protect themselves and I watch my six. All the while going about my daily life.

And I sleep just fine.
    Doghandler likes this.

Doc i appreciate your response and i do understand. I guess i am speaking to the person who under no circmstances would step in to save a life if they had a chance because the cost of possible litigation is too high. And yes i understand like everyone here that our country has changed and changed for the wrose in the past 30 yrs. I'm not a naive dudley-do-right with his head in the sand. I don't want to be a part of that decline. I may have to live in it but doesnt mean i have to go along being a part of that decline by turning my back on people. You and your family should come first, no doubt about it and 99% of incidents it is propbably the best course of action to stay out. Like you said its an issue everyone must decide for themselves and i respect that. Lets say you are neutralized and the attacker is now going after your wife and kids you are telling me that my best course of action is to sit by and be a goodwitness to the one by one slaughter of your family? You look over see me, obviously a civilian good guy and not one of the perps, with my hand on my pistol, you would wave me off? How about i look at you throw up my hands saying "Oh well" your on your own and keep walking on my merry way. You still would respect me? I can't walk past your family and see them slaughtered without at least trying to help save a life. I hope there is someone out there willing to help myself or a family member..I hope there are still people like that left somewhere out there.

Great article. Recommended reading for all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links