It can, and does, happen anywhere....proof.

This is a discussion on It can, and does, happen anywhere....proof. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened just one street over from where we lived in Tennessee. The town of Arlington is a very quiet and very safe place to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: It can, and does, happen anywhere....proof.

It can, and does, happen anywhere....proof.

This happened just one street over from where we lived in Tennessee. The town of Arlington is a very quiet and very safe place to live. Very little crime. Mostly teenagers doing dumb things not this kind of thing. but this goes to shw that it can and it does happen anywhere. This is why I carry all the time, even at home. Even while riding my bicycle for exercise. The hand of violent crime can reach out and touch you at any time and it will most likely do it when you suspect it the least.

By the way, the guy who has been arrested lives in the neighborhood. I never knew him, but saw him a few times. The lady it happened to I do know. She does not know the attacker, there is no connection between them at all and she is a good person. She says she wants to get her carry permit now. Sad that it took something like this to get her to come around.

Attorney says jogging attack suspect denies involvement - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

This kind of incident is not uncommom at all...........had a rash of these a while back where I live also......upscale neighborhood.
    I always tell my wife not to jog near secluded or wooded areas and always with other people around. Unfortunately we can't carry where I'm from.........New Joisy.

heartbreaking story from a few years ago in Orlando. I was driving home within a mile of the park where this murder took place at exactly the time it happened. Women.....get armed and trained. There are way too many crazys out there when you can't even go jogging in a busy park in broad daylight.

Missing jogger is found slain east of Orlando
    June 12, 2008
    By Amy L. Edwards, Sarah Lundy and Walter Pacheco, Sentinel Staff Writers
    Searchers found the body of a University of Central Florida graduate student hidden in woods Wednesday, nearly 24 hours after she went for an evening run at a popular family park in east Orange County.

Authorities confirmed that 26-year-old Nicole Ganguzza had been abducted, killed and then left near the post office on Econlockhatchee Trail, which backs up to the Little Econ Greenway, a popular running and biking path that passes through Jay Blanchard Park.

"Our worst fears have been confirmed," Orange County sheriff's Sgt. Allen Lee said.

A team discovered the body about 6 p.m. Wednesday after dozens of deputy sheriffs -- including some on horseback and others with bloodhounds -- spent the day scouring the county park off Dean Road, north of Colonial Drive.

"There was some attempt to conceal her," Lee said of where her body was found, about two miles from her car.

Lee did not say how Ganguzza died or whether there were any obvious signs of a struggle. Detectives said they did not know whether she was raped, but investigators are checking with registered sex offenders in the area.

As rain started to fall Wednesday evening, authorities began carefully processing the area.

"We don't know what we are dealing with as for the size of the scene," Lee said, adding that the location was not easy to reach.

Shortly before Allen confirmed the grim discovery to reporters, Ganguzza's relatives could be seen consoling one another at the park. Later, fellow UCF students gathered for a vigil at the university, remembering a young woman full of optimism and compassion for others. .

"She had lots of life ahead of her," Lee said. "The family is devastated."

Their worry began Tuesday when Ganguzza -- an avid jogger -- failed to return home after going for a run at the park about 5:45 p.m.

Brendan Ganguzza of Orlando, her husband of 15 months, reported her missing to the Orange County Sheriff's Office at 9 p.m.

The next morning, deputies began searching the park. At the time, Lee said detectives were "treating this as a worst-case scenario."

Shortly before 5 p.m., authorities hauled Ganguzza's Mitsubishi Eclipse from the entrance to the park to the sheriff's forensic lab. A crime-scene technician put a tennis shoe found next to her car into a brown bag. It was unclear whether it belonged to Ganguzza.

Sheriff's spokesman Jeff Williamson would not comment on any evidence found at the park.

Jay Blanchard Park is popular with families and community events. The Little Econ Greenway runs through the park and is a favorite among joggers and bikers. A branch of the YMCA also is at the park.

All jogging trails were closed to the public Wednesday afternoon as deputies expanded their search to nearby neighborhoods.

"Deputies are searching four or five miles out, including businesses and surrounding neighborhoods and trails," Williamson said.

Investigators planned to review surveillance tapes from local convenience stores for any signs of Ganguzza. And they're asking anyone who saw her or heard anything unusual at the park to call the Sheriff's Office.

The missing woman's parents told detectives their daughter -- originally from Clifton, N.J. -- often ran along the Little Econ River, which flows through the park.

Ganguzza, who earned her undergraduate degree from Montclair State University in New Jersey, was enrolled in the marriage and family-therapy master's program at UCF.

She worked as a graduate-student-counseling intern for a Winter Springs counselor.

According to the counselor's Web site, Ganguzza had worked with homeless people, children and adolescents in the juvenile-justice system, people with disabilities and families affected by physical and sexual abuse. She also did counseling at the community clinic at UCF.

Her interests included working with troubled youth, older adults, people with life-threatening illnesses, couples and families and personal growth, according to the Web site.

On Wednesday night, Jessica Gallo came to the overpass on Econlockhatchee Trail to pray for Ganguzza's family. Gallo said Ganguzza was her marriage counselor.

"She's just truly a great person. Just wonderful. I mean she helped so many people," Gallo said.

"I couldn't ask for better advice from her. When it came to my marriage, when it came to my family, when it came to dealing with my children: She pushed me to keep going with my life and my family.

"My prayers are with her family. In my heart, she's my family, and I love her so much," she said. "I hope they find who did this to her."

Hours later, about 65 people -- many of them friends and fellow UCF students -- attended an impromptu candlelight vigil at the campus' reflecting pool.

Student Kristi Strampach, 24, said she was with Ganguzza in an internship class that let out early on Tuesday, about 5:35 p.m. -- just 10 minutes before Ganguzza last spoke with her husband. She said Ganguzza was wearing workout clothes the last time she saw her.

"She's such a light to this world," Strampach said. "She was energetic -- lived every day to the fullest. I never heard a complaint out of her, even when things were tough."

Student John Strickland, 24, invited people to speak and offered a prayer.

Bryce Hagedorn, a professor of counseling, took him up on the offer, encouraging everyone to hold hands as he, too, offered a prayer and asked for God's blessing.

"Just give us peace of mind knowing Nicole is in a better place," he said.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Have to be prepared for anything these days!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Too sad but happens all the time. Still trying to get my wife to carry. She has everything but a gun, so its a start.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

This is why I insist on my wife carrying at all times, as well as I carry even in my home I also have select firearms concealed in different places thru out my house for that just in case moment, my neighborhood isn't up scale but I do have a few fellow bikers and vets that live all around me, quite a few elderly retired people and the non-vets or riders are supporters, but with that there are a few bad apples on my street, I do my best to protect my neighbors, they all call me the watch dog, there's only so much I can do, two weeks ago cops shot and killed a guy in the park a block away from my house. We got some nutty unpredictable people in this world.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

VIP Member
    Just more proof that jogging by yourself in secluded locations is not a healthy activity. As a bare minimum a jogger should carry pepper spray with them. Preferably a handgun to go with the pepper spray would be a better choice.
    oneshot likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^^I agree with Archer, even though this was somewhat of a busy park,(zonker1986 post) it had enough of the right ingredients, for this to happen, and no one to notice.

Pepper spray, & get away.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Whether the suspect in the OP's story was out jogging or not, they should be able to find the attacker's DNA on her somewhere to confirm or absolve him.

That has happened a few times around here in the last few years...walkers & joggers being accosted. They eventually catch them.

Gotta work to keep your guard/SA up at all times.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just more proof that jogging by yourself in secluded locations is not a healthy activity. As a bare minimum a jogger should carry pepper spray with them. Preferably a handgun to go with the pepper spray would be a better choice.
    If you are referring to the story I posted about originally, it did not take place in a secluded location. It happened in the middle of a subdivision with houses all around. Here is a Bing map of the location. If you click Birds eye view, you'll see that it isn't an out of the way place and at 6am on a Monday, there's a lot of traffic there.

Loangleaf Oak Trail and Knob Creek Trail, Arlington TN
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Further proof that our society is beyond repair. And another reason why I wish we would pull a page from the movie No Escape (Ray Liotta, 1994).

I don't think the solution to being attacked while jogging is a firearm. I'm not saying don't carry one, sure, LCP in a fanny pack. But jog with a buddy, don't use headphones. Too easy for a drive up and grab and stuff. With two people it's tactically a lot less feasible/more rare (IMO). Now, two people, both carrying BUGs, train together a little, you got a plan.

It's a shame but I resorted to buying a treadmill for my wife because she liked to take a walk at dusk around the neighborhood..of course with the ipod. At least now I know she's safe.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

There are no safe places,all it takes is some predator whacked out on drugs or scheming and planning and they could try to attack and molest somebody within sight of other people in a crowded parking lot.Many rapes and abductions have occurred in parking lots where some people feel it's safe because theres a lot of vehicles.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The people in "good" neighborhoods ARE the target of the BGs.
    If I was a BG, I would not break into houses in the ghetto. (LOL)
    Seriously, we live in a quiet, "safe" suburb of Orlando. Actually 15 air miles out of the center of Oelando.
    Good police dept.
    About 3 years ago, a jewelery store about a half mile from my home was robbed. This is not your large, high $$$ chain store, but a ma and pa operation. He managed to hit the silent alarm. The BG upon exiting were met by police and there was a shootout. One officer was wounded and 1 BG "neutralized".
    The jeweler now has a glock .40 open carry in the store and concealed carry outside.
    Point is: In my opinion, you may be more of a target in a "good" area.

I too, carry all the time, and where carrying is not alowed (for whatever reason) I have a tacticle folder on me.

Links