Church

This is a discussion on Church within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was sitting at church this afternoon for service and it was a full house due to Christmas. I know this church well and know ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Church

Church

I was sitting at church this afternoon for service and it was a full house due to Christmas. I know this church well and know my escape routes if needed and the layout of the entire church. I normally sit in the middle but due to the crowd was in the back today (3 rows from the end). In Church I can not normally see the main entrance as it is behind us and we also have a mezzanine. Where do you think the safest place would be to sit in church? I was thinking about this (during the sermon I know, slap on the hand) and I couldnt' come up with the best place.

We have an entrance in the back and to the left along with an entrance to the basement up front on the left, which I can see.

I know some states you can not carry in a place of worship but I always take 2, a crowded place that is very vulnerable!

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by yanks_178 View Post
    Thoughts?
    Clarification, please. What are you asking? Are you asking where to sit in church? Are you asking whether it is legal to CCW in church in your state? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Clarification, please. What are you asking? Are you asking where to sit in church?
    Uhm.. did you read the post?

Where do you think the safest place would be to sit in church?
    Yes, thats exactly what he's asking :)
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

The safest place in my church is the back row.....nobody can see you if you doze off or are checking football scores on your phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

In the back, or near a fire exit. The thing is, you need to have a plan beyond the exit....moving, using cover or concealment to evade...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

We have an armed (CC) security team at my church.
    Rock and Glock and jem102 like this.

home

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    home
    Yup. If I worried about a safe place to sit in church I'd stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Yup. If I worried about a safe place to sit in church I'd stay home.
    I'm sure the members of the congregation that were gunned down by a nut with a shotgun, who just stolled in and opened fire, wished they would have thought that way.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    In the back, or near a fire exit. The thing is, you need to have a plan beyond the exit....moving, using cover or concealment to evade...
    I have an armed security team in place at church and usually have 2 or 3 members in each service. I would preferr that you do nothing but duck and let my team handle it. That is my greatest fear - the team trains extensively and my greatest fear is some ccw holder trying to deal with the situation and making matters worse. Plus if my team members don't recognize you you could get shot.

No offense to you personally but I don't want help. I want the team to deal with it.

And to answer the OP's question, the safes place is probably the back wall.
    Ragin Cajun likes this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    At home on the couch.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Each church is quite different. I would think the front row seats would be the best. If an armed crazy guy came into the church to shoot the place up, I'd expect him to enter from the main entrance, which would place him at the back of the church. But it just depends on when/where he decides to start shooting. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

media group - always at a disadvantage because of attention to the screens. Fortunately, the media center has a wall around it, so we can always duck behind it, but it does bring up an interesting question. I don't know if all the electronic equipment would provide very much protection as a barricade.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I have an armed security team in place at church and usually have 2 or 3 members in each service. I would preferr that you do nothing but duck and let my team handle it. That is my greatest fear - the team trains extensively and my greatest fear is some ccw holder trying to deal with the situation and making matters worse. Plus if my team members don't recognize you you could get shot.

No offense to you personally but I don't want help. I want the team to deal with it.

And to answer the OP's question, the safes place is probably the back wall.
    I'm looking to get my family out to the nearest exit...the one we are seated next to...not get caught in a crossfire. Read the scenario for what it is--don't think I'm sitting in your church. I'm operating under the assumption there is no security team (as described in the scenario), otherwise, what makes you think I'm not also part of a security team? At home, in our small church, I am the security "team".
    Harryball, suntzu and OD* like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Members - at the back so you can see what is happening/who is coming in; if several 'team members', one might do well to be at the front, perhaps off to the side.
    Visitors - near an exit so you can get yourself and family out.
    Last edited by rstickle; December 26th, 2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Bring post in line with the question asked.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links