Defensive Carry banner

The Knockout Game, something to be aware of.

5K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  MadMac 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Thanks for the heads up Mike. I hadnt heard of this yet....

#8 ·
Another sad use for cell-phone "social networking" is the latest craze for "flash mobs" who can quickly assemble from nowhere and raid a store or pounce some innocent individual to get their sick jollies. It's just another example of where everyone must always stay alert to everything around them.

I've crossed the street or taken a different route a number of times to avoid getting too close to a group of kids who are hanging out or slowly walking along with no obvious reason and no apparent "openly social" conversation going on between them (especially if one or more of them is looking my way more than usual) - seldom is that ever a good sign with any group you see at an unusual time or in any place where few other people are around.

During the cooler time of year when I wear a jacket or coat, I always prefer either a carry vest or shoulder-holster since it's much easier to draw from while wearing any kind of outerwear. When coming back from a Thanksgiving trip to Oklahoma last month, I stopped at a large, well lighted, gas station beside an off-ramp of I-35 around midnight to grab a soft-drink and "walk the dog". When I came back out, there was a group of about 7 teenagers milling around the edge of the parking area and about 50 feet from my truck who were laughing and talking among themselves, but paying a lot more attention to me than I was comfortable with. When I looked in their direction, then slid my hand inside my coat to cover my weapon, their attention suddenly diverted completely away from me while I got into my truck. Once I was back out on the highway ramp, I pulled over and called 911 to give them the name and location of the store and told them about the unusual group in case anyone wanted to check it out. I have no idea if they had bad intentions or not, but I did my duty and headed on down the highway.

#11 ·
Another sad use for cell-phone "social networking" is the latest craze for "flash mobs" who can quickly assemble from nowhere and raid a store or pounce some innocent individual to get their sick jollies. It's just another example of where everyone must always stay alert to everything around them.
Agreed - better SA would generally avoid this type of thing. I have at times avoided walking down a certain path in a parking lot due to a lot of unruly looking juveniles gathered together. I have also placed my hand on my gun (under my jacket) when things looked suspicious, which would give me an extra second or two tactical advantage if I needed to draw.

#9 ·
"I went to the store and saw a group of kids who looked out of place, suspicious, but I shrugged it off."

Take heed!

Reactions: surefire7
#13 ·
The minute I see a group of teens, I usually maintain my distance when I walk past them. I also raise one hand to my head pretending to rub my head or face in order to provide some defense against a sucker punch. This stuff has been going on for quite a while now, especially in Boston, MA and other New England states.

#19 ·
The minute I see a group of teens, I usually maintain my distance when I walk past them. I also raise one hand to my head pretending to rub my head or face in order to provide some defense against a sucker punch. This stuff has been going on for quite a while now, especially in Boston, MA and other New England states.
Interesting move.

#14 ·
Last few replies say it all. Situational awareness should be number one on your list whether you are CC or not. If you are CC you should notice things like this and do anything that creates distance and a chance to assess. Sounds like common sense but mindless walking and strolling anywhere can easily lead to a lapse in your defense. Someone charges me and I am CC I will retreat if I can but will certainly consider my situation as imminent danger if I cannot and yada yada yada.

#16 ·
This situation has been posted a couple of times b4. Its always worth rethinking. As pointed out, SA is your first line of defense. Unfortunately if a CWL holder lethally defends himself after being accosted, he'll be in for a big hastle. Lots of relatives to testify what a good boy the victim was. Maybe it'll take something like that to give these punks pause for thought. Still, better judged by 12 than buried by 6. Lets do what we hafta do to make the BGs afraid of the GGs for a change!

#17 ·
I've been avoiding group of teens for decades. If I see a "hang out" group, I'll find a reason to cross the street or go into a building if I must and leave by a different exit. I guess it comes from city living. I never barge through or demand my right to the sidewalk. I just take the long way around and consider it exercise.

Reactions: RemMod597
#18 ·
This thread caused me to think of a possibly interesting question. An earlier post said that it is typical for a (single) member of the gang or group to make the attack. In such a situation, would they be considered a single aggressor or would they be multiple aggressors? For the sake of discussion, I consider it obvious that they are a clearly a member of this group. The distinction, as I see it, is one of disparity of force.

#29 ·
If the round intended for the "attacker" misses it's mark and contacts a "member" of the group then it get's reported as multiple attackers/disparity of force to the responding authorities. Kidding, but they are there for backup if you resist from the incidents I've read.

#20 ·
I check out any group of teens, just because of the possibility they might be up to no good, and I certainly am very aware when I visit nearby larger cities. Where I live, the teens groups are nothing to worry about, but the possibility is still there. The chances are good that I know some of them, or they know me, or I know their parents.

#21 ·
Disparity of Force is the driving factor here. While the thugs may be unarmed, they intend to do serious harm. Even if only one of the group does the attack, the rest are there for back-up.

If they pick a victim who resists, you know the rest aren't going to just stand there and let their buddy meet the resistance offered by the victim without piling on.

Whether one of the group initiates the attack or several of them come at you, you only have about a second or two to decide what you are going to do.

Whether you see a clear disparity of force or not, once the gun play starts, it's going to be a crap shoot as to how the police view things in the aftermath.

You should know if you choose to defend yourself with your firearm, you are likely going to be shooting unarmed people and their story to the police is going to stress that you over reacted and they were posing no threat to you.

They will most certainly try to play the "victim card" and try to get the police to believe you were the aggressor. That can always go either way as to whether or not the police are going feel you were in the wrong or not.

It's best to be on alert to these types of situations happening and do your best to avoid a confrontation in the first place. But you should have thought out well in advance how you intend to handle such a situation if you ever find yourself in the middle of one, and know what consequences may ensue if you do shoot.

For me, I have a good attorney friend who used to be a Kansas City prosecutor on speed dial.

#23 ·
Disparity of Force is the driving factor here. While the thugs may be unarmed, they intend to do serious harm. Even if only one of the group does the attack, the rest are there for back-up.

If they pick a victim who resists, you know the rest aren't going to just stand there and let their buddy meet the resistance offered by the victim without piling on.

Whether one of the group initiates the attack or several of them come at you, you only have about a second or two to decide what you are going to do.

Whether you see a clear disparity of force or not, once the gun play starts, it's going to be a crap shoot as to how the police view things in the aftermath.

You should know if you choose to defend yourself with your firearm, you are likely going to be shooting unarmed people and their story to the police is going to stress that you over reacted and they were posing no threat to you.

They will most certainly try to play the "victim card" and try to get the police to believe you were the aggressor. That can always go either way as to whether or not the police are going feel you were in the wrong or not.

It's best to be on alert to these types of situations happening and do your best to avoid a confrontation in the first place. But you should have thought out well in advance how you intend to handle such a situation if you ever find yourself in the middle of one, and know what consequences may ensue if you do shoot.

For me, I have a good attorney friend who used to be a Kansas City prosecutor on speed dial.
'Very wise words here. In this scenario, it is very easy to see how a justified shoot will send an innocent intended victim to jail. Mix race into it, and it gets even sketchier.

#22 ·
Good reason to trigger your phone's voice or video recorder if it has one. I'd take it out as if taking a call. I wouldn't be obvious about the video part if I thought it might be provoking. At least you'd have some kind of record of the interaction if, heaven forbid, things go all pear shaped.

#32 ·
Unless those roaches are armed gang members. Then you may very well have an all out gun fight on your hands. Something to consider. Best course of action is, keep the SA up and when you see a group of teens up to no good, avoid trouble. The best gun fight is the one you avoid.

#33 ·
There is an advantage of trying to avoid them even if unsuccessful. Hopefully someone saw you walk in opposite direction and saw them follow you prior to attack.

If they get close, despite your best efforts, the Jframe type revolver in your hand, but concealed, has a lot to recommend it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.