YOUR WIFE WAS JUST GRABBED; the man has a gun to her head!!

This is a discussion on YOUR WIFE WAS JUST GRABBED; the man has a gun to her head!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I seen this on a show and was wondering if and could you do it legally? A man shows up at your door that has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: YOUR WIFE WAS JUST GRABBED; the man has a gun to her head!!

YOUR WIFE WAS JUST GRABBED; the man has a gun to her head!!

I seen this on a show and was wondering if and could you do it legally?

A man shows up at your door that has a beef with you over some property that you own. Your wife answers the door and The man starts ranting about something she knows nothing about. He asks for you and she tells him youíre not home. Things are getting hot, he is really mad and donít look like he is going to back down. Just then the cops show up and the man freaks out and grabs your wife around the neck and holds a gun to her head.

You just pull up in the back of the house and hear the commotion and see the lights. You run inside though the back door and open the front door and see the man holding your wife yelling at the cops ďIF YOU DONíT BACK OFF I WILL BLOW HER BRAINS OUTĒ. You stand there for a minute and realize that the police are doing nothing and this guy is getting more irate buy the minute.

You have your gun out and a clear shot to his head with no chance of hitting her or anyone else. Do you take it and save her life or stand back let the cops try and talk this mad man down? Is it a legal shot to save your wifeís life? Would it be justified? By law you have the right to protect your family but can you do it here and now?

2. Remove Ads

If, in your very unlikely scenario, you are guaranteeing me the shot, I'll take it. It's a legal shot in most every state I'm aware of. It's justified. I can do it because you are guaranteeing the shot.

Clear shot to his head, no chance of hitting her or anyone else.
    A clear shot to his head with NO chance of hitting your wife or anyone else must mean he is standing stock still, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

My actions depend on how nice my wife has been to me and how much the life insurance policy is ;)

Have I mentioned how little I care for ridiculous scenerios?

Too many variables and hostage situations are the worst. If this guy is truly off the edge, he's going to shoot the woman no matter what. Kind of like going out in a blaze of glory. The last thing the Police want to do is escalate the situation to that point, so they may be trying to get the guy to calm down and perhaps listen to reason. They really don't want to create a shoot out.

Second, shooting someone in very close proximity, ie this guy holding your wife close and having a handgun at her head with his finger on the trigger will result in a few possibilities.

A: You take the shot, you hit him with the shot of a lifetime, the cops move in and clear the situation.

B: You miss, you hit your wife.

C: You miss, he shoots your wife and possibly shoots at you while the cops shoot at him.

D. You shoot, he shoots, the cops shoot and we have multple injuries or fatalities. Cops may not know who you are, but you are holding a weapon and they could shoot you.

No good solution to this but to quickly assess the situation and figure out what will be the lesser of many evils.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    They are called shows for a reason And seriously, that is something to ask a lawyer about. And second if that were to happen you wouldn't have time to call a lawyer.

I walk away. A couple hours with her and he will be begging me to take her back.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I walk away. A couple hours with her and he will be begging me to take her back.
    Amen to that brother!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I hope he has ID so the next of kin can be notified.

He doesn't know my wife.
    Bullet1234 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Alter ego rule says it is a good shoot. There are some other issues posted above that need to be considered, especaiily how the police react to the sound of the shot.

A man shows up at your door that has a beef with you over some property that you own. Your wife answers the door and The man starts ranting about something she knows nothing about. He asks for you and she tells him youíre not home. Things are getting hot, he is really mad and donít look like he is going to back down. Just then the cops show up and the man freaks out and grabs your wife around the neck and holds a gun to her head.

You just pull up in the back of the house and hear the commotion and see the lights. You run inside though the back door and open the front door and see the man holding your wife yelling at the cops ďIF YOU DONíT BACK OFF I WILL BLOW HER BRAINS OUTĒ. You stand there for a minute and realize that the police are doing nothing and this guy is getting more irate buy the minute.

You have your gun out and a clear shot to his head with no chance of hitting her or anyone else. Do you take it and save her life or stand back let the cops try and talk this mad man down? Is it a legal shot to save your wifeís life? Would it be justified? By law you have the right to protect your family but can you do it here and now?
    I need to know how hot, and how much of a "freak" the wife in question is before I respond...

Does the marriage still have spark?

I mean, if not...this is a way out...

A man shows up at your door that has a beef with you over some property that you own. Your wife answers the door and The man starts ranting about something she knows nothing about. He asks for you and she tells him you’re not home. Things are getting hot, he is really mad and don’t look like he is going to back down. Just then the cops show up and the man freaks out and grabs your wife around the neck and holds a gun to her head.

You just pull up in the back of the house and hear the commotion and see the lights. You run inside though the back door and open the front door and see the man holding your wife yelling at the cops “IF YOU DON’T BACK OFF I WILL BLOW HER BRAINS OUT”. You stand there for a minute and realize that the police are doing nothing and this guy is getting more irate buy the minute.

You have your gun out and a clear shot to his head with no chance of hitting her or anyone else. Do you take it and save her life or stand back let the cops try and talk this mad man down? Is it a legal shot to save your wife’s life? Would it be justified? By law you have the right to protect your family but can you do it here and now?
    "clear shot to his head" and "no chance of hitting anyone else"..most of the time in situations like that it just is not the case..however, to go along with your story ofcourse you can shoot him...then you set the gun down and let the Police come in and secure the guy and take statements from you both for their report. Personally if it was me I wouldn't stop the guy..jk
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

In reality, I suffered a very nasty set of life-threatening wounds during LE years by taking a bullet to a Zippo lighter in my front pant's pocket (fragmenting both the bullet and lighter to deeply imbed themselves in terrible spots) which resulted from a BG's instantenous/involuntary "knee-jerk" muscle contractions that were caused by my .357 round hitting between his eyes as he was raising his weapon toward me. So, if anyone's got their finger on the trigger, never think that even a head-shot is "instant" immobilization.

I also dislike rediculous scenarios unless they can be nurtured to an even a greater degree. My reaction would be to keep the gun handy, but forget trying a head shot (for the above reason). Additionally, a sudden gunshot from inside the house may make the police think they're being fired upon by an accomplice and quickly trigger a police firing squad activity that would be bad news for the wife, BG, and you as well.

Hey, the snipers are already in place outside and only waiting for an opportunity to milk off a round into the BG as soon as his attention (and gun) is diverted away from the wife. Sneak into the kitchen, get a beer out of the fridge, go back into the den, and turn on the TV to the local news channel where you can get a whole lot better view of what's going on outside from all the news cameras. Sit back and keep sipping your beer while slowly cranking up the sound on the TV. Sooner or later, the BG is going to hear the TV sound getting louder and louder until he has to look behind him to see what the hell is happening, then - POW!! - sniper takes BG's head apart when gun moves off the wife - and you got to have a cold beer and watch it all on TV - Cool!!

No one said anything about snipers, give it the head shot would be "IFFY" but any other shot would mean endangering others. And sorry some don't like ridiculous scenarios but I don't see it as that.

the whole thing is to question the right to be able to shoot for one of two reasons one being the only one to get a good shot ( being behind him at 3 feet or so most can hit a grapefruit so head shot is do-able) and two can you do it without the ride through court

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    My actions depend on how nice my wife has been to me and how much the life insurance policy is ;)

Have I mentioned how little I care for ridiculous scenerios?
    This will work for me as well.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    What is the man wearing? What kind of gun does he have? Do you love your wife?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links