BB Gun = Death!

This is a discussion on BB Gun = Death! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In good old Cincinnati today the paper had a front page story re. a man shot to death by police after he pulled what looked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: BB Gun = Death!

BB Gun = Death!

In good old Cincinnati today the paper had a front page story re. a man shot to death by police after he pulled what looked like an automatic weapon on them: it turned out to be a BB gun! Are people crazy, or what?I don't blame the cops at all-- a second and they (he) could have been one dead officer.
    Katana likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Guy probably had a death wish, not brave enough to jump in front of a train! This is the season people do dumb - stupid things. Now the cop has to live with it. Very sad.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey WD, you say the "cop has to live with it". If I am in his shoes I will not be "living with it". You point a supposed firearm at me and I presume to be in imminent danger I will kill you. If you have thoughts about discharging a firearm, killing someone in defense, or are worried the firearm is not what it seems to be I would rethink why you have a firearm and a CCWP.
    9MMare likes this.

Suicide by cop, nothing new..IMO it was a good shoot.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Even after a good shoot, some LEO's have a hard time coping, if their mindset hasn't armored their mental and emotional defenses as well.
    RockStrongo likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Suicide by cop, nothing new..IMO it was a good shoot.
    You beat me to the exact same comment
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Played a stupid game and won the grand prize.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Not his best decision, but his last!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Some people are just dumber than a box of rocks. Hope the LEO can put it behind him and continue on.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey WD, you say the "cop has to live with it". If I am in his shoes I will not be "living with it". You point a supposed firearm at me and I presume to be in imminent danger I will kill you. If you have thoughts about discharging a firearm, killing someone in defense, or are worried the firearm is not what it seems to be I would rethink why you have a firearm and a CCWP.
    Well, I have to agree with WD....as we are not in his shoes/ maybe it is because I have never had to take anothers life, does not mean that I am not mentally prepared to do so. I feel in a heartbeat I would shoot a BG in a situation that required deadly force. But also feel it is something I would have thoughts of and have to live with at a later date, just because I have a CCWP does not mean I am out looking for someone to shoot, or some kind of trouble I can introduce myself into, means I have the right to carry concealed, and that I am mentally prepared, to use my weapon. The aftermath, I will deal with in the aftermath....... just my $.02
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A threat is a threat. That being said, I would be some kinda peeved if some lowlife faked his way into me shooting him. I can see where hindsight could cause some second guessing among some people. Unfortunately, all that does is make you hesitate the next time. When I was a security officer I have several occasions to take down someone at gunpoint who ended up having a fake gun, trying to scare or impress someone. Just remember that a BB or pellet can cause a fatal injury, so it is still a lethal threat.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    How does compassion and concern for someone who has had to take a life translate to not having the stones required to successfully carry a firearm?
    BigJon10125 likes this.

IMHO "living with it" has less to do with dropping a guy that was carrying a BB gun than dropping a guy period. LEO's have to deal with taking a life regardless of who it is. I personally would be comforted by the fact that someone has to live with taking a life rather than someone who is robotic in their emotions.

A justified shoot is a justified shoot. If I take the life of a BG in defense of myself or family and it is justified, that doesn't mean that I won't have to make emotional adjustments for doing so. It also doesn't mean that I didn't think through the ramifications of carrying a gun. I have. I teach my students that they must prepare for the chance that this may happen, and the potential emotions that they will likely have to deal with.

It is easy to think that you will not be affected from your position on the sidelines, and some may not. But my guess is that you will.

I hope no one has to find out.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Must be nice to be tough as nails. If you have never taken a life even a justified one, do not try to pass judgement. If you have taken a life and you are that cold then I feel sorry for.
    OldVet and kb2wji like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links