Trend - Body Armor Worn During Home Invasions - Page 3

Trend - Body Armor Worn During Home Invasions

This is a discussion on Trend - Body Armor Worn During Home Invasions within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Harryball While I use a pistol for my home defense I have given some thought to keeping the AK more handy. It ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Trend - Body Armor Worn During Home Invasions

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    While I use a pistol for my home defense I have given some thought to keeping the AK more handy. It seems that the BGs are getting a little more skilled and violent...
    Indeed. It is hard to justify walking around the house with the AK slung over your back though. For me, It will be head shots if the center mass shots don't have an effect. Honestly though, most home invaders count on the occupants being either unarmed or completely caught off guard. If you are armed at home and can fire at them immediately chances are they will run.
    Guest1 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Anyone familiar with an FN5.7X28 from FN Hertzel using Elite S4 ammunition. Look at the site, see the results--can defeat body armor-that is why drug dealers and other reputable people like it. Trouble with any ultrapenetrating cartridge in home defense is where is the bullet going if you miss the BG or the armor?

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Indeed. It is hard to justify walking around the house with the AK slung over your back though. For me, It will be head shots if the center mass shots don't have an effect. Honestly though, most home invaders count on the occupants being either unarmed or completely caught off guard. If you are armed at home and can fire at them immediately chances are they will run.
    I agree with you Mike..I keep it in context. The BGs around here are not wearing body armor yet. If they start, I will change what Im doing, but for now, the 9mm will do just fine...
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by steelhawk View Post
    I haven't heard of this happening in Utah.
    ...yet
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Just shoot for the head

And this is why I practice the Mozambique drill... A few years back some 20ish gal had a peace bond against her ex, retreated to moms for safety, ex broke in the kitchen with a shot gun, mom emptied her .357 CM the ex had a vest, and killed both of them, yes the gal was on 911 to police when it all went down....
    TN_Mike and ks kid like this.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

The Mozambique drill is a very good and desirable skill to learn. It can come in handy in so many situations.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Body armor. The continuing saga of escalation between the BG and the law abiding, gun owning citizen. Add this to the list of other tactics such as LEO impersonators crashing through your door.

Not knocking training in multiple disciplines, I wish I could get more...well...any. Is it possible to get too much training?

Train all you want, as often as you want, but unless you are put to task under that kind of pressure - in this case - home invasion (which is impossible to duplicate in training) you don't know how you will react, or what discipline you will fall on. You will go through the general motions that you trained on, fight or flight mode in full swing, but when you round the corner, actually ID the target and the reaction to drop the hammer comes, what discipline are you going to use?

Mozambique?
    Retention?
    COM until the target it down?
    Precision shot to the head?
    HTH?
    Primary to secondary?
    Retreat to cover (no such thing - concealment only).

How much info is your brain going try to process and send the final signal to the index finger? What type of delay are you looking at with the option overload?

Muscle memory may bring whatever tool you have in hand to target, but will the discipline be the right one? Are you going to freeze when the time counts because you can't make the decision?

Threat goes down after 5 shots. Are there others? Is the first threat really stopped (thank you body armor)?

For those who have actually been brought from a dead sleep from someone either attempting to break in, or actually inside your home, providing you can remember in detail, what exactly went through your head when you visually ID'd the threat? I'll wager it was not instant sight picture and trigger pull as we train for. If it was, there would be a lot more horror stories on this site. Pesky BGs never act like those silhouette targets at the range. More importantly the silhouettes are not shooting back at you, or coming at you with a non projectile weapon.

Training is a must. But unless you have actually been put to task in real life at least twice, I highly doubt that your dealing with the situation at hand is going to resemble your training. I'll wager you are going to fumble through it like the rest of us with minimal to no training.

Side note - Enough of the "Save the Children" crud. Teach your child(ren), discipline your child(ren), hammer home to your child(ren) right and wrong, what is OK and what is forbidden, and the penalties for violation. Lots and lots of privately owned firearms in houses with no safes or lock boxes and children for a very, very long time [up until the mid to late 80's] and very few, if any, 3 y/o shooting themselves or their siblings because it was left hanging by the fireplace, sitting in the gun rack, in the bedside table drawer, or propped up in a corner. Focus on your own damn family, and stay the heck out of everyone else's.

A child (even by Brady's terms) getting a hold of a firearm and killing someone is absolutely the parents fault...for not teaching. Not because they did not lock it up.
    1911srule likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I owe an apology to a number of members here for my previous post.

Evidently I had a little Carnation Instant ***** in my coffee yesterday as evident in some of my other posts, and should have stepped away from the keyboard instead of clicking on submit reply.

If I offended anyone or flat out pissed you off, I am sincerely sorry. No offense or harsh criticism was intended.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

For those who have actually been brought from a dead sleep from someone either attempting to break in, or actually inside your home, providing you can remember in detail, what exactly went through your head when you visually ID'd the threat? I'll wager it was not instant sight picture and trigger pull as we train for. If it was, there would be a lot more horror stories on this site. Pesky BGs never act like those silhouette targets at the range. More importantly the silhouettes are not shooting back at you, or coming at you with a non projectile weapon.

Training is a must. But unless you have actually been put to task in real life at least twice, I highly doubt that your dealing with the situation at hand is going to resemble your training. I'll wager you are going to fumble through it like the rest of us with minimal to no training.
    Not only does training take over, its what actually allows you to win the fight. Right after the incident you will not remember much. After time things start to come back and the incident is more clear. You will have night mares. It really sucks. You are put into a position that is unfamiliar and scary as hell...Your training is all you got.

The bold part of your post is false. The reason you do not hear a lot about it, is, its not something to brag about...

P.S. you didnt step on anyones toes with your post.....
    suntzu likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said plus
    Kirk: “Spock: these cadets of yours…how good are they? How will they respond under real pressure?”

Spock: “As with all living things, each according to his gifts.”

Star Trek II Wrath of Khan

Couple of comments on Sticks and Harry's replies. Granted I and my wife are the only people in the home so this is not for those with kids etal in other rooms in other areas of house. At night to deal with a breakin, I limit my defense area to within my training/experience profile; in my case this is my already locked bedroom with a defense plan that includes my cell/911, my remote car alarm and a preplanned defense scenario that puts me in an advantageous position/location to deal with entry using my double 0 pump shotgun and/or my FN 5.7X28 with armor piercing ammunition. Everything and I mean everything in my house that is of value is insured and replaceable--I AM NOT--so I will not be going out to deal with BGs who may be better at this than me. If the BG is unfortunate to try and defeat my bedroom door, he will not leave in good condition.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

with all the gangsters around my house and all the home invasions i always a have my mossberge ready to go. As long as i shoot them inside the house and they have a weapon im good to go.

Hey sgb: Picture is worth a thousand words so they say. Add the remote car door opener/emergency button. Nothing like a flashing, horny car in the garage for everyone, including LEO (if they get there in time) to know it is your house. I notice what I perceive as a light on the shotgun---I know my bedroom and I can see (limited) in my bedroom and certainly where the bedroom door is--I prefer putting myself in a location that is not evident from the door entrance but is a location where I can easily cover anyone who decides to defeat my door--last thing I need to do is light up the area. Same goes for rest of house, if that were necessary (which it is not as I indicated in my last reply)--just saying.
    Wishing you and all forum members that the display in your picture only and always gathers dust

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links