Trend - Body Armor Worn During Home Invasions

This is a discussion on Trend - Body Armor Worn During Home Invasions within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Though not a regular occurrence, we're definitely seeing an increase in the number of intruders, their planning and their precautionary measures. Though I own a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Trend - Body Armor Worn During Home Invasions

Trend - Body Armor Worn During Home Invasions

Though not a regular occurrence, we're definitely seeing an increase in the number of intruders, their planning and their precautionary measures. Though I own a plate carrier and a ballistic helmet (required for many shoot houses and also good for NV during no light/low light classes), it's not a realistic expectation that one would have time to don protective gear during a home invasion.

Those that know me might say I preach when it comes to training and that I'm a strong believer in a rifle for a home defense weapon with a handgun as a secondary weapon. Personally, I choose a 10.5" AR, but that's just me. It's what I'm trained on, use on nearly a daily basis and prefer it due to its soft armor defeating capabilities with a good load.

Anyway, I know there are a couple guys on here that are experts in home defense, though they've never had an ounce of training and zero experience, that will say it's unlikely, not common, only happens in certain "less desirable" areas (which is completely wrong as my personal situations show) and anyone that gets advanced training or uses a rifle caliber for home defense is a "wannabe Rambo".

The point is, it does happen and though the chance isn't great, it can happen to anyone of us at any time. When it does, I can assure you from personal experience, it will be unexpected and we'll likely react by doing what we know or train, not what we'd like to do and not what we'd do if we had advanced warning.

Stay safe, train, know your weapon, and at the very least, don't rule out it happening to you because you set your alarm at night or live in a nice neighborhood. Stay vigilant and take precautions so you don't have to find out what you'll do in a situation like this.

Now, there's mention of this being drug related, but though it puts you at much higher risk, it doesn't lower your chances to zero if you aren't involved in illegal activity. He also comments on the increased number of home invasions where the suspects are wearing body armor, not all are drug related. Last year there was a good number of home invasions by one crew wearing soft armor.

A few months ago, an old man who was a veteran and survived Pearl Harbor, was bludgeoned to death during a home invasion. He lived exactly two blocks away from me. We live in a nice neighborhood and though mine isn't a waterfront million dollar home, my neighbor's is. I'm a half block away from the ocean. It can and does happen everyone, regardless of how often compared to bad areas of town.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Intruder killed despite wearing body armor

LITTLETON — An intruder in a four-person armed invasion was killed Wednesday night despite wearing body armor, authorities said.*

Lt. Bobby Martin, with the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office, said 20-year-old Ricardo Keith Harley, 20, was killed following an exchange of gunfire at a home in the Short Street area Wednesday.

The sheriff’s office is looking for two suspects today as authorities continue their investigation. Martin said deputies are still trying to identify those involved and provide the public with detailed descriptions.

According to Martin, the sheriff’s office responded to a home invasion at 8:17 p.m.
    While en route to this location, officers were made aware shots had been fired and one suspect was still in the house.

“Deputy Corey Griffin arrived ... and discovered that one suspect had been shot and was not responding and another was being detained by the home owner, also two other suspects had fled on foot,” Martin said.

Kayman Northington was taken into custody at the home of the victim upon Griffin’s arrival, Martin said, adding one suspect found shot at the scene was later pronounced dead.

Northington is charged with first degree burglary, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon and carrying a concealed weapon. He is being held in the Halifax County Detention Center under a $200,000 bond. His court date is Feb. 1.

Martin said there were four to five people in the house when the home invasion began.

“There were four intruders, three actually made it into the house and one stayed outside,” Martin said. “The gentleman who we took into custody, Kayman Northington, was the first one into the house. After, two more forced their way in behind him.”
    Martin said once inside, shots were fired. The home owner had a gun pulled on him.

“From what we are gathering from the witnesses, everybody started scattering and running,” Martin said. “According to witnesses, the bad guys came in and fired a shot. The home owner grabs his gun and fires a shot at one of the bad guys.”

The home’s occupants were able to stop Northington, but the other intruders got away, Martin said.

“The gentleman that did get shot and was killed was wearing body armor,” Martin said. “That is a trend we are starting to see. The bad guys go in to do a robbery or home invasion and they have their body armor on.*

“We ask anyone with information about this case to contact the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office at 252-583-8051 or Halifax County Crimestoppers at 252-583-4444,” Martin said.
    According to Martin, the robbery was drug related.*

He said homeowners have a right to protect their home, and the homeowner in this shooting will not be charged.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This is why I got straight past the AR/Shotguns/Handguns and move straight to some Armor crushers!

Attached Images
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    This is why I got straight past the AR/Shotguns/Handguns and move straight to some Armor crushers!
    And all this time I thought you were an AK guy!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have disagreed with the OP on other threads but I'm with him on this one.

That's why I have an 870 Magnum loaded with Magnum slugs ready to maybe not penetrate armor but liquify anything underneath that armor.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Train and prepare for the worst case scenario. Any other problem will be overcome that much easier.
    Erick46590 likes this.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I have disagreed with the OP on other threads but I'm with him on this one. That's why I have an 870 Magnum loaded with Magnum slugs ready to maybe not penetrate armor but liquify anything underneath that armor.
    Yep. Nothing wrong with people disagreeing on their opinions and usually the best way to learn something, even if emotions get involved... But when it comes to something this serious, it's worth some serious tought, regardless of the final choice.

Guys in the Defensive Rifle subforum now that I'm a huge supporter of the AR and prefer it to a shotgun for my personal solution, but I do believe the shotgun is a great choice.

I think any firearm is a better choice than nothing, but when it comes to home defense, I think a long gun (whether an AR, a shotgun or a 30-30 lever action) is the best tool for the job.There's no "fair fight" when it comes to defending your home or your family.

While I use a pistol for my home defense I have given some thought to keeping the AK more handy. It seems that the BGs are getting a little more skilled and violent...

glad to see this in scenarios, I posted the story for the basis of the scenario some time ago... HERE

In the case of body armor clad home intruders, I like the notion of the shotty... Plus, my guess is that they're not wearing "full armor" with trauma plates. My feeling (and I may be wrong) is that even armored, the shotgun will knock the wind out of him and allow for better shot placement in follow up.

Head shots with a pistol would be great, but hard to accomplish at night at 03:00, awakening from a nice deep slumber.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I always train for the ocular-cranial shot,especially with my P3AT.

If they have body armor and invade my house, shots to the head will be the only option besides fleeing. I have a shotgun, but it isn't readily available, unlike my 9mm. Neither is my rifle.

I haven't heard of this happening in Utah.

It bugs me to no end that newspapers refer to criminals as "gentleman"! Man, intruder, criminal, BG, POS are among the titles the paper could use.

As for the point of the article, I think I will now plan on an aim point of top of the chest with the 00 buck in hopes that the spread will allow a few pellets to hit the neck/face should I ever have the need.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Though not a regular occurrence, we're definitely seeing an increase in the number of intruders, their planning and their precautionary measures. Though I own a plate carrier and a ballistic helmet (required for many shoot houses and also good for NV during no light/low light classes), it's not a realistic expectation that one would have time to don protective gear during a home invasion.

Those that know me might say I preach when it comes to training and that I'm a strong believer in a rifle for a home defense weapon with a handgun as a secondary weapon. Personally, I choose a 10.5" AR, but that's just me. It's what I'm trained on, use on nearly a daily basis and prefer it due to its soft armor defeating capabilities with a good load.

Anyway, I know there are a couple guys on here that are experts in home defense, though they've never had an ounce of training and zero experience, that will say it's unlikely, not common, only happens in certain "less desirable" areas (which is completely wrong as my personal situations show) and anyone that gets advanced training or uses a rifle caliber for home defense is a "wannabe Rambo".

The point is, it does happen and though the chance isn't great, it can happen to anyone of us at any time. When it does, I can assure you from personal experience, it will be unexpected and we'll likely react by doing what we know or train, not what we'd like to do and not what we'd do if we had advanced warning.

Stay safe, train, know your weapon, and at the very least, don't rule out it happening to you because you set your alarm at night or live in a nice neighborhood. Stay vigilant and take precautions so you don't have to find out what you'll do in a situation like this.

Now, there's mention of this being drug related, but though it puts you at much higher risk, it doesn't lower your chances to zero if you aren't involved in illegal activity. He also comments on the increased number of home invasions where the suspects are wearing body armor, not all are drug related. Last year there was a good number of home invasions by one crew wearing soft armor.

A few months ago, an old man who was a veteran and survived Pearl Harbor, was bludgeoned to death during a home invasion. He lived exactly two blocks away from me. We live in a nice neighborhood and though mine isn't a waterfront million dollar home, my neighbor's is. I'm a half block away from the ocean. It can and does happen everyone, regardless of how often compared to bad areas of town.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Intruder killed despite wearing body armor

If you are going to stay in your bedroom or wherever you happen to be when your home is broken into, either a rifle or a properly loaded shot gun is best.

And we all know that it is best to stay put and let the bad guys come to you. However, there are many circumstances where one can not stay put.

For instance, a family member not in your room who must be protected.

Or a noise that you believe to be the dog rattling his dish but you feel obligated to look and see....

In those cases where you must walk past doors to other rooms, etc, a long gun is very much a disadvantage as a BG only modestly quick can grab the barrel as you pass any door or opening that gives him cover. Once he gets his hands on the barrel you are in trouble.

Of course a very short barrel rifle is not quite so bad, but a very large bore revolver is better.

A Ruger .45 colt loaded with a Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon 300 gr or larger solid nose at 1300 or so fps gives you the advantage of lots of power and a short barrel that works in very close quarters.

Not good in apartment buildings as it would penetrate too many walls.

My choice..45 colt loaded with 300 gr for the hand gun. A Marlin lever gun 45-70 loaded with 335 gr for the rifle.
    But walking around the house with the rifle is not the thing to do.

Although I do have a shotty in the bedroom for home defense, along with my Glock, I very seldom carry or move the shotty from room to room. I am somewhat of a night person, normally not hitting the pillow until after 1 a.m. Sooo, in lieu of the shotty, I normally am armed with my Glock. With that being said, it is also becoming more prevalent for home invasions to be conducted during daylight hours as well as the potential body armor covered invader . Soooo, when I go to the range, I always try to incorporate some close range "double tap double tap" work. Close range being 10-15 feet. Rationale is that if the invader does have some body armor on, the sting of the first two will distract and freeze him long enough to get the full effect of the second two. I try to do this both stationary, as well as moving off the X. Just my way of trying to train/plan for the worse when the shotty is next to the bed. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    If you are going to stay in your bedroom or wherever you happen to be when your home is broken into, either a rifle or a properly loaded shot gun is best.And we all know that it is best to stay put and let the bad guys come to you. However, there are many circumstances where one can not stay put.For instance, a family member not in your room who must be protected.Or a noise that you believe to be the dog rattling his dish but you feel obligated to look and see....In those cases where you must walk past doors to other rooms, etc, a long gun is very much a disadvantage as a BG only modestly quick can grab the barrel as you pass any door or opening that gives him cover. Once he gets his hands on the barrel you are in trouble.Of course a very short barrel rifle is not quite so bad, but a very large bore revolver is better.A Ruger .45 colt loaded with a Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon 300 gr or larger solid nose at 1300 or so fps gives you the advantage of lots of power and a short barrel that works in very close quarters.Not good in apartment buildings as it would penetrate too many walls.My choice..45 colt loaded with 300 gr for the hand gun. A Marlin lever gun 45-70 loaded with 335 gr for the rifle. But walking around the house with the rifle is not the thing to do.
    I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old on separate floors for now while we're redoing a room. I have no choice but to clear my house. I keep a 10.5" AR (LMT with a DD Mk18 RIS II) ready to go in the bedroom as well as the handgun I carry daily. It's equipped with a Surefire Scout light, Aimpoint and occasionally a PEQ 15. We have a plan, but we all know how those go.

I'm in a shoot house as often as I can so I'm pretty confident in my ability. As for a bad guy grabbing a barrel, I understand the point, but pretty unlikely, especially with a 10.5" as my support hand is near the muzzle. Even when clearing with my 14.5", I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Also, there are techniques that'll work in your favor should that occur. Depending if you prefer a high or low ready - I prefer a low ready clearing alone - if someone grabs the barrel of the long gun, you can easily take a knee and fire (or grab your secondary if so equipped). I've seen it demonstrated with simunitions and it's actually quite effective.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    And all this time I thought you were an AK guy!
    HaHa.....

I love all my guns! I shot the heck out of my AR yesterday though!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links