Lost my SA today

This is a discussion on Lost my SA today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 2006-07-04-you_you_missed_the_point.jpg...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lost my SA today

wmhawth likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I agree - keep the Mal in the car with the child. Nobody with a brain is going to open the car door and get face to face with an annoyed Mal...
    Very true and something I did not think of. This is a learning curve for me, having a dog as part of my plan of action. Her main job other than being a friend to my son (he has special needs and has few friends) is to protect our home and my son.

Funny story now but not so funny when it happened. We were having a bathroom remodel project done and so we put her into one of the unused bedrooms so that she would not get in the way of the handyman (I was working, my dad was overseeing the project on my behalf) and the handyman is in the bathroom doing some work all the while I guess he heard her carrying on in the closed room. Well when all was said and done, i now need to replace the carpet in that room since she was trying to dig out to get to say hello to the guy. My dad had left to get parts and told the handyman to let himself in since he had secured the dog. Instructions have been given to not secure the dog in any rooms any further, if there is not someone she is familar with then nobody should be in the house.

I think she has bonded to us rather well. When we got her the only training she had was a little house breaking but not much else. We got her from a farmer/deputy sheriff who wanted her to protect his chickens but gave her no tranining. He paid close to $1000 but she was not doing her job and so he put her on craigslist and I had jsut refreshed the page and seen the posting, replied and 2 hours later was bringing her home to the cost of free. She since has some basic commands down like come, sit, lay down, go, heel and the such. She is learning that is for sure, but she is fun to have, one the best dogs I have had to date.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Senior Moderator
    My two:

379548_10150418872489663_744309662_8067879_1545407832_n.jpg

Zane, on the left, was a rescue. When we got him, he was the saem height but weighed 30 pounds. He was pretty much scared of everything.

Today, he's ~75 pounds of happy, bouncy Malinois.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    My two:

379548_10150418872489663_744309662_8067879_1545407832_n.jpg

Zane, on the left, was a rescue. When we got him, he was the saem height but weighed 30 pounds. He was pretty much scared of everything.

Today, he's ~75 pounds of happy, bouncy Malinois.
    I think ours maybe the runt. Iv seen that the females should be no less than 55lbs but we cannot get her above 50, usually she overs around 48 or so.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    All while the BG is on top of you jamming his knife into your chest. Please tell us how that smart phone works out for you...
    I have NOT seen an app for that.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I would like to post a topic asking for recommendations for a guard dog, similar to a Mal, but not as big. I dont want to detract from this thread. What is the best forum section to post it?

The one concerning 'other weapons?'

Thanks
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I think ours maybe the runt. Iv seen that the females should be no less than 55lbs but we cannot get her above 50, usually she overs around 48 or so.
    Sabrina, our female, runs around 50.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I would like to post a topic asking for recommendations for a guard dog, similar to a Mal, but not as big. I dont want to detract from this thread. What is the best forum section to post it?

The one concerning 'other weapons?'

Thanks
    Mals are not to big but are very active. Do you want a guard dog ir watch dog? Any dog that will bark when needed can be a watch dog.

--------------------------------------
    Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Nice dog!

I have a 17lb Pug... barks at first noise and gets a pat on the head.
    If sombody were to break in, they might trip over him and knock themselves out... not much for protection. All depends in what you want.

Studies say any dog that makes noise offers as deterent.

I want something not more than 50 lbs or so. When my female Chesapeake got older, at 70 lbs, she was too heavy for me to lift into vehicles, assist, etc. Now I have my male Lab, at 75 lbs and 10plus yrs, and a blue heeler.

After the Lab, I dont want anymore large dogs, I just cant lift them when they need help as they get old. The heeler seems like a good size, he's just under 50 lbs. Both dogs bark plenty.

I'm looking for protective, but not aggressive. Of course I would invest in training (myself or professional) as needed.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Gotta love a good Mal!
    +1
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Mals are not to big but are very active. Do you want a guard dog ir watch dog? Any dog that will bark when needed can be a watch dog.

--------------------------------------
    Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk
    That's because they don't need to be......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links