Dementia

This is a discussion on Dementia within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a fellow, now deceased I believe that went to our church who beat his wife of 50+ years to death with a hammer. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Dementia

There is a fellow, now deceased I believe that went to our church who beat his wife of 50+ years to death with a hammer. He went directly to a mental facility because of this and alzheimers.

A point that threads like this should bring out is that having options besides your firearm can be very beneficial. If all you have is the option to struggle physically or shoot a person who is mentally impaired, you need to rethink your personal defense strategy. This is especially true if you dealing with family or close friends.

No I am not suggesting that if someone who appeared to be healthy and was a match for me in age or physical size, I would even hesitate in using deadly force if they were in my home doing what the alzheimers guy did in the original post. But if they were twice my age, and acting like they were out of it, I would certainly have to try a less lethal option.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

This is a similar situation, and it was discussed on the forum.

Officer shoots intruder in own home - KFOR

What would you have done?

'Burst into his home and attacked him"...........unfortunate, but enough said.......it's on.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Dementia, mental illness, mental retardation, or whatever. Regardless, if that person puts myself and my loved ones under duress, I will deal with him/her with the appropriate force necessary. What is the defender gonna do? Ask the attacker if he/she has a mental/medical condition? Not a practical thing to do. I hate it when the legal system use the insanity/illness defense to justify the attacker's actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Dementia, mental illness, mental retardation, or whatever. Regardless, if that person puts myself and my loved ones under duress, I will deal with him/her with the appropriate force necessary. What is the defender gonna do? Ask the attacker if he/she has a mental/medical condition? Not a practical thing to do. I hate it when the legal system use the insanity/illness defense to justify the attacker's actions.
    Maybe I am the one that is slow. About everybody agrees on this and that it was a justifiable shooting and nobody really seems to be justifying the actions of the attacker or excusing his actions because of a mental illness. Why is the legal system being brought up for this incident? The legal system is saying it is OK to defend yourself and you don't have to stop and figure out if the attacker has an illness. Now the reverse is true if the attacker kills the defender then it is a different issue. But we are talking about how it works for the defender and it does.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Consider this: Alzheimer's, Dimentia and mental illness patients have the same rights and privileges as normal people until they are adjudged incompetent in a court of law. At that time, a legal guardian is appointed. It can be a relative or it can be someone appointed by the court. There can actually be 2 guardians appointed; one for the patients physical care and one for financial care(to manage the patients money). The same person can do both but he or she is closely monitored by the court. When a person is declared incompetent, he or she cannot legally possess credit cards, driver's licenses or gun permits. They also cannot enter into any legal agreements or contracts nor can they vote.

You hear a lot of stories about mentally ill people committing crimes not always under their control. It's not easy to get a person declared incompetent and that's the way it should be. Once they lose their rights, it's very difficult to regain them.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    You hear a lot of stories about mentally ill people committing crimes not always under their control. It's not easy to get a person declared incompetent and that's the way it should be. Once they lose their rights, it's very difficult to regain them.
    It is my impression, and please correct me if I am mistaken, but when someone commits a violent crime and gets judged insane, or mentally incompetent and unable to stand trial, they are still effectively removed from general society and remanded to some form of custodial environment. It may not be prison in the strict sense, but they aren't given a pass, either.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    It is my impression, and please correct me if I am mistaken, but when someone commits a violent crime and gets judged insane, or mentally incompetent and unable to stand trial, they are still effectively removed from general society and remanded to some form of custodial environment. It may not be prison in the strict sense, but they aren't given a pass, either.
    I know they don't get a free pass. Hinkley that shot Reagan was found not guilty by reason of insanity and still in some kinda lock up. He can visit his mom and stuff though after all these years.
    Andrea Yates who killed her 5 children was found not guilty by reason of insanity and is in a high security mental facilty.
    There are more cases.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links