wouldnt his finger pull the trigger

This is a discussion on wouldnt his finger pull the trigger within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by barstoolguru if it can or not your over thinking it; be the first to shoot My thoughts exactly......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: wouldnt his finger pull the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    if it can or not your over thinking it; be the first to shoot
    My thoughts exactly...
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

2. Remove Ads

The only way to guarantee no reflex shot being fired is to shoot the medulla oblongate at the brain stem. This blocks all nerve impulses for both the autonomic nervous system as well as impulses to the motor function nerves below it. It is about the size of a walnut located at the base of the brain where the spinal cord attaches to the brain.

Any shot to other parts of the brain may result in an electrical storm of chaotic nerve impulses which may result in muscle spasms which can of course cause the person to squeeze and fire a weapon. However, only a shot to the medulla is like turning off the light switch and ceases all electrical nerve impulse.

Again, just making a head shot isn't necessarily the same thing, as damage to other portions of the brain can send off errant nerve impulses in a chaotic manner.

A handgun is a poor weapon to make that kind of shot unless you place the muzzle of the gun at the correct location on the base of the skull, which means being close enough to make a contact distance shot. From a distance, high powered rifles are the best choice. But again, the bullet has to destroy the medulla oblongate first. Which means a shot from behind the person or from the side at the mastoid process behind the ear. A rifle shot coming through the forehead can cause an electrical storm of nerve impulses as the round destroys other areas of the brain before it reaches the medulla.

If you are getting the idea that it is a very difficult shot to make with any sort of guarantee against the possibility of having the dead person fire a reflexive shot, you're right.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've posted this before... and it illustrates both HotGuns' and Bark'n's point... this is your target:

If his finger's on the trigger, your best bet is always to move "off the X."

If he is right handed, your best bet is to move to his right, your left, because his tracking shot is likely less accurate in that direction. If he's left handed, you move to your right, and your shot will be more accurate if you are right handed, and his will be less so.

Remember, the fight isn't over until it's over... you can survive being hit... There are numerous stories on this site about those who have... the Marine that met someone for a Craigslist sale and plugged his wound holes with his fingers, the fellow above who was shot by someone who's head had exploded.

Move and shoot.
    Bark'n and tcox4freedom like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

If it does happen, hopefully the reflex that caused the trigger pull, will also result in a hand / arm / body movement that moves the gun off target ... no telling where the round is going then.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Very cool 3-D animation oakchas.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Very cool 3-D animation oakchas.
    Wish it was mine, but it is the best I've seen, even if incomplete.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by rm3482 View Post
    If he is going to harm my family then it doesn't matter. He has to go down and if I have to take some in the process to protect the fam then so be it. If I'm alone then I might assess the situation differently. But always aware there could possibly be a reflex from BG.
    Exactly.

It is totally irrelevant because in the event you are in the position that you and the BG have the draw on each other, you have no choice but to shoot.

If you do, he might shoot from reflex. If you don't, you are dead from a well aimed shot.

So you have no choice.

Discussing options is a total waste of time.
    First Sgt and Hopyard like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've made headshots on gophers and rockchucks that completely obliterated the head in entirety, only to watch the body flop around like a fish out of water for 10-15 seconds. I have no reason to doubt that a finger could twitch the same regardless of where a bullet might strike.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    Exactly.

It is totally irrelevant because in the event you are in the position that you and the BG have the draw on each other, you have no choice but to shoot.

If you do, he might shoot from reflex. If you don't, you are dead from a well aimed shot.

So you have no choice.

Discussing options is a total waste of time.

The above sums it up quite nicely.

Have a plan...Have a back-up plan if the first one doesn't work...Decide to be agressive enough, quickly enough...THE FASTER YOU FINISH THE FIGHT, THE LESS SHOT YOU WILL GET.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    During combat in SE Asia...

If you don't mind me asking, when and where did you serve?
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    if it can or not your over thinking it; be the first to shoot
    This! I would rather worry about his reactive shot, than have him worry about mine!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
    ive heard about it in movies but never knew for sure or not
    I think this is the best line of the thread.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Well, maybe.

Maybe he'll hit you too.

Jim

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    Shot placement is the best answer. If it's a head shot or a hit on the central nerrvous system there should be no reflex. That is why your follow up shots are important.
    Amen. CNS hits are certainly preferable for this situation, but I'm not going to wait to find out. I don't believe in one-shot stops and don't ever intend to find out. A few years ago, a training school coined the term "shoot 'em to the ground". I like that - anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting several times.

I think another way to look at this scenario is just like you always assume a gun is loaded and will fire if you pull the trigger, assume your BG will fire after you shoot him. That being said, do I think he will be more accurate if he shoots of his own free will? or if he is shooting because his body is failing him?

I think your chances of survival would be much higher having shot first...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links