wouldnt his finger pull the trigger

This is a discussion on wouldnt his finger pull the trigger within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; if someone has a gun pointed at you and you have a gun pointed at them when you shoot would there finger pull the trigger? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: wouldnt his finger pull the trigger

wouldnt his finger pull the trigger

if someone has a gun pointed at you and you have a gun pointed at them when you shoot would there finger pull the trigger? ive heard about it in movies but never knew for sure or not

2. Remove Ads

Never thought much on that, sure there would be some kind of reflex, just not sure what it would be, and would it throw point of aim off .... hope i never have tofind out, but I know if Leroy Jethro Gibbs drops the hammer on em, it is over, no reflex shot....
    WD54241 likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Shot placement is the best answer. If it's a head shot or a hit on the central nerrvous system there should be no reflex. That is why your follow up shots are important.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    Can it happen? Yes. Does it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Maybe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hope he had a Sigma in his hand ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Coulda, shoulda, woulda . . . Even brain shots envoke reflexes. Reflex are not necessarily brain driven (Think Doc hammering on the kneecap). Maybe this time yes; maybe next time no.
    Last edited by OldVet; January 8th, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes it most certainly CAN happen and DID happen to me as mentioned in a few other posts. Even a centered head-shot just above the eyes with a .357 mag caused a "knee-jerk" nerve/muscle reflex action that instantly made the BG's finger squeeze-off a round as his weapon was coming up on me - and I took a very nasty hit as a result.

During combat in SE Asia, it wasn't uncommon at all to see an enemy squeeze off an instant shot or short AK burst at the moment of what should have been an "instantly immobilizing" massive head-fragmenting hit. During a major fire-fight along with incoming mortar fire, I once had somebody's forearm bounce off me and fall into my foxhole with the hand making a fist and fingers trembling for a couple of seconds - scared the crap out of me and I quickly looked to see if it was mine while my ears were still ringing.

When there's a lot of adrenaline pumping through the body, local nerves can (and frequently do) instantly trigger reactive muscle contraction in response to a traumatic wound even when a limb is completely separated from the body. So, if somebody has the drop on you or you both have the drop on each other, you're in serious trouble unless you're able to move off the X at 1000fps - period!!

To answer your question. Maybe. In your scenario, moving off the X would be of ut-most importance. Shooting on the move is something you should consider in your training...
    atctimmy, 9MMare, BkCo1 and 1 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Fire and move, hope he has a Taurus...
    I can't recall a crime thread where that was mentioned specifically.
    I wouldn't worry to much about that situation happening.
    Anything can happen, to anyone, at anytime...Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    So many variables, including but not limited to:

1. Where your round hits the assailant
    2. What you shot him with
    3. The trigger pull of his firearm
    4. His finger placement (frame or trigger)
    5. His particular physiology

etc.

The only accurate answer to this is "maybe". As noted above, moving and shooting simultaneously probably yields the best chance of not getting shot.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    There is such a thing as a "no relfex shot" that is effective, but it is only taught to selected individuals and expected to work with a high powered rifle.

A handgun round does not have sufficient power to guarantee it, it might work or it might not, it usally dosent.

There are some targets that outline the areas to be hit, but they must be done only with specific angles and the target is small enough that one really needs a scoped rifle to attempt it. One shot is through the teeth to the back of the cerebral cortex. Another involved a small triangular area around the nose. Any shot that is off target may not have the intended effect.

Bottom line is this...

If you havent been specifically trained in it, dont try it and dont expect it to work with a handgun, because you are already set up to fail.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Hope he had a Sigma in his hand ; )
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Yes it most certainly CAN happen and DID happen to me as mentioned in a few other posts. Even a centered head-shot just above the eyes with a .357 mag caused a "knee-jerk" nerve/muscle reflex action that instantly made the BG's finger squeeze-off a round as his weapon was coming up on me - and I took a very nasty hit as a result.

During combat in SE Asia, it wasn't uncommon at all to see an enemy squeeze off an instant shot or short AK burst at the moment of what should have been an "instantly immobilizing" massive head-fragmenting hit. During a major fire-fight along with incoming mortar fire, I once had somebody's forearm bounce off me and fall into my foxhole with the hand making a fist and fingers trembling for a couple of seconds - scared the crap out of me and I quickly looked to see if it was mine while my ears were still ringing.

When there's a lot of adrenaline pumping through the body, local nerves can (and frequently do) instantly trigger reactive muscle contraction in response to a traumatic wound even when a limb is completely separated from the body. So, if somebody has the drop on you or you both have the drop on each other, you're in serious trouble unless you're able to move off the X at 1000fps - period!!
    All I can say besides thank you for your service is OMG!!!
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

If he is going to harm my family then it doesn't matter. He has to go down and if I have to take some in the process to protect the fam then so be it. If I'm alone then I might assess the situation differently. But always aware there could possibly be a reflex from BG.

if it can or not your over thinking it; be the first to shoot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links