Scary Event - Situational Awareness - Lessons Learned

This is a discussion on Scary Event - Situational Awareness - Lessons Learned within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had quite a unique occurence last week, and after some deep though, I thought I might share this and see what you ppl think and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary Event - Situational Awareness - Lessons Learned

Exclamation Scary Event - Situational Awareness - Lessons Learned

Had quite a unique occurence last week, and after some deep though, I thought I might share this and see what you ppl think and see if there are some lessons learned to be shared/had.

Background: CHL Texas for 6 months, finally prompted to obtain such by recent discovery of Identity Theft(fraudulent prescriptions to acquire drugs) by thug who ended up marrying old neighbor 3 years ago when at previous residence(source of identity, LE failed to notify me, thanks). Thug has long wrapsheet, including Assault DW, etc. and has stalked, attacked victims before accrording to DA records. Thug was ironically released on parole for the prescription fraud using my identity before I found out. Perp GF(wife now) drives black Nissan sedan. (was convicted of the same year after he was, and given probation).

FF to last week:

In garage with girlfriend performing lawn maintenance around dusk when a black vehicle slowly drives up street. Driveway is perpendicular to street and leads straight into gagrage, approximately 30 feet in distance between myself and street.

I immedialtely notice the car slowly and slowing down further as it reaches the driveway. At this point, somewhat on alert and carrying IWB at my 6. Car stops and passenger door immediatly flings open rapidly and and individual in somewhat between a jog and run is running straight at me.

I immediatley turned my torso clockwise, lift shirt out of way and place drawing hand on weapon, brain still processing events. By the time this had been accomplished, the individual was maybe 5-10 feet away from me.

Conclusion:

Individual was a 200 pound Middle-eastern lady in full middle-eastern dress. She stops in front of me, excitedly, and asks where house number XXXX is. Apparently, they are to visit some relatives. I stood there speachless, as GF handles conversation.

Some interesting observations:

1) Lady was maybe approxiamtely 5-10 feet away by the time my brain registered the events and concluded that she was most likely not a threat. The distance closed fast.

2) By the time the door flung open, to when lady was 5 feet away from me had to be around 2-3 seconds tops, at least it seemed.

3) If that had been an intentional assault with a BG prepared to assault in some form or fashion, reaction time would have played a critical factor in the outcome, even when I had already observed the suspicious vehicle and was on alert.

4) If I had not turned my torso, she may have seen my weapon and events could have transpired into me being charged failing to conceil(although I never did unholster the weapon, and on my property), although perhaps if she had seen such, there is a lesson to be learned on her side as well.

5) I'm glad I did not unholster my weapon in this particular situation.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Sounds like you have reason to be on edge. I'd say you did fine. Rest assured though that the BG is not likely to ride up, jump out of the car and take a run at you. I'd think it more likely that he would try to take you out by surprise. Come at you when you leave for work or something. Glad everything turned out just the same.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Thanks,

I suppose the fact that the vehicle met the description of what they drive elevated the situation, although flinging the door open rapidly didn't help.

Ironically, the police report retracted their personal identification information, including vehicle license plate and VIN info when they were arrested using my info.

Have you ever had a confrontation with this guy? If not why would he even be after you? But on the note of reaching for your weapon, and only having your CCW for six months id say you need to chill a bit or your going to get your permit taken away. I don't mean to sound rude but please be careful. Situational awareness has to be number one.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Point well taken, and why I decided to post this on this forum.(situational awareness to the plethora of possibilities in ones interpretation of events?).

In regard to confrontational history, without going into elaborate detail and compromising legal claims, he has staked out my residence in the past (documented) and assaulted at least one other person in connection with such. I am currently pursuing damages through litigation for the fraud portion.

Didn't really want to get into the details of the history, but was mainly trying to put it into a perspective for the situation, so maybe this is a good time to remove this thread.

I don't think he needs to chill one bit. Take a look at the factors: Suspicious car, driving slowly, door opens rapidly, someone runs up on his property. With 2-3 seconds he said this took, that is no time to be screwing around. He did not draw, but he was prepared.

When anybody comes onto my property my alert goes up...what are they doing here, what is their business? That would elevate if someone was running up to me. Maybe they needed help... I don't know that, but that doesn't mean I draw on them, however, that doesn't mean I should ignore the situation and let down my guard.

My relatives have these kinds of engagements all the time. People walk onto property asking if XXXX is home....knowing good and well that person doesn't live there (it's hard to make up stories like that when you have lived there for over 40 years). People poking around their cars and when confronted act all surprised and wonder if the car is for sale.

You know how LEO's say: no traffic stop is routine. Same principle in my mind. Way to be prepared jbfortehwin!
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

If that happened on my property, some unknown running at me, my weapon would have came out. That would be a lot like the start of a home invasion. If police got involved, so be it.
    Last edited by DakotaXD; August 21st, 2006 at 07:16 PM.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

U chilled more than most people in that situation would have. Having yourself in "ready mode" is not overreacting. You were presented a very unusual situation, you set, you assessed, and you confirmed that it was not a threat. Someone running onto your private property directly at you is grounds for protecting yourself.
    That's textbook.

Quote Originally Posted by jbfortehwin View Post

4) If I had not turned my torso, she may have seen my weapon and events could have transpired into me being charged failing to conceil(although I never did unholster the weapon, and on my property), although perhaps if she had seen such, there is a lesson to be learned on her side as well.
    I never understood this part of your law. Why would you get in trouble for someone seeing your gun in a holster? The TX guys and gals need to get that changed so you can open carry if you want to.

On the issue at hand, perform the maintenace facing the street that way you can see what is coming. Have a backup in a pocket carry mode and you can get your hand on it while talking to people or trying to get into a position to pull a normally holstered gun. A side benefit no one can see it!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by jbfortehwin View Post
    I immedialtely notice the car slowly and slowing down further as it reaches the driveway. At this point, somewhat on alert and carrying IWB at my 6. Car stops and passenger door immediatly flings open rapidly and and individual in somewhat between a jog and run is running straight at me.

Thoughts?
    Black car, driving slowly, flinging door open and running straight at a citizen: Anyone doing this obviously either (a) has their brain switched "off" or (b) is a criminal bent on attacking you. Why anyone would behave this way and not actually be a criminal is beyond me. One would think she'd be a tad more aware, given modern realities.

Glad nobody was hurt. Glad she pulled up short and came to her senses ... if that's what it was.

- Michael
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman View Post
    But on the note of reaching for your weapon, and only having your CCW for six months id say you need to chill a bit or your going to get your permit taken away. I don't mean to sound rude but please be careful. Situational awareness has to be number one.
    I don't think the length of time one has had a CCW has anything to do with maintaining good SA. I also don't think having a CCW for 6 months has anything to do with the way this was handled. If one is already an idiot, experience with a CCW does not magically cure it. Likewise, if one already has good judgement, a CCW will not further enhance it. Sound judgement obviously prevailed in this case.

+1 on the "no need to chill." Keep up the good SA.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Reason for torso turn to conceil me placing hand on weapon was due to the following:

46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
    HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

(h) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that
    the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, displayed
    the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been
    justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9.

Not a lawyer, and perhaps this wouldn't apply to the situation, especially on my property.

I cannot explain why she ran up to me the way she did. Perhaps a cultural thing, or her being just excited. She did'nt even say a word as she approached, until she was stopped in front of me.

I'm not too concerned about my alert level or the placing hand on weapon part, but the fact that the amount of reaction time that may be required in the event it had been something else.

I would look into the laws surrounding your home. In some states (such as:North Carolina), one can legally cary open or concealed on his/her own property without a permit. I often have a weapon on my person or within easy reach when in my garage and yard, and I live in a "nice, quiet" neighborhood.

Someone running up my driveway is likely to be met with a .40S&W.

Not sure cause I don't live in Texas but in Missouri you have every right to show your weapon if you feel threatened on your property. Off your property it get's tighter of course and the law's are not in your favor.

I open carry a lot of times when on my property and nobody can say a dang thing about it. Some one could call the cop's but nothing can be done.

I'd check closer into Texas law's about when on your property. Way to be alert and aware IMO.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Sounds like you did exactly what you should have. It is amazeing how your brain has to take a second or two to realize what your eyes are seeing, isn't it? In that amount of time you could be hurt so your situational awareness really helps.

I don't know what the law in Texas is but in MN I am perfectly legal to have my gun in my hand on my property. If you are visiting and don't like it, stay off of my property.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links