If someone tries taking your child - Page 2

If someone tries taking your child

This is a discussion on If someone tries taking your child within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When it comes to my family, I am not going to open the book and justify the rules of this or that. I am going ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: If someone tries taking your child

When it comes to my family, I am not going to open the book and justify the rules of this or that. I am going to do whatever it takes to protect them, period ! Does not mean I will go John Wayne on ya in wal - mart, but also don't mean i wont..... If thats what it takes, that is what it takes, but i would not start with my weapon, or at least with it blazing. I would definatly be on someone like white on rice, and when ya get a big ole redneck on ya, it is hard to get em off....
    I think you should also put into the equasion, what if it were someone elses kid, n they started hollaring for help,.... He is taking my child !!!! What would you do there....my book you be a man or a mouse. When it comes to kids, you do not mess around, would i do anything different, propably , but wold i try to interven, you can bet ever thing in the bank on that one....to what point, would just have to be played out ....
    Divebum47 and TaterSalad like this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member
    Wouldn't start off shooting because I might hit my own child and I think I could stop the abduction without the use of lethal force. I'm sure my first reaction would be to chase after the person and yell "he's kidnapping my girl!" or something of that nature and tackle him.

That raises an interesting question - say the kidnapper is not armed (you probably won't know for sure). And you decide not to shoot for fear of hitting your child and you can tackle the guy. However, do you grapple? If you engage in full body contact, he may get access to your weapon.

What is the proper tactical response when 1) you are in a situation when the use of lethal force is such that the risk of collateral loss of life is too great and 2) to stop the threat, you may have to physically engage, which may allow the threat access to your weapon.

I am at a loss right now as to the proper course of action.
    jace33 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    For me this depends a lot on what is happening and my surroundings.

First, there would be a LOT of yelling. Try to bring attention to the situation. "What are you doing?" "STOP!" "That person is kidnapping my child."

This is while I'm moving towards that person with pepper spray in hand. I keep my pepper spray/kubaton VERY accessible on the outside of my bag and if I caught up with the individual and could not spray him/her in the face it would probably mean laying that kubaton upside their head.

If I could not catch up with the individual and no one was stopping him/her then it's time to get out the gun.

We all have to make decisions as to how far we will go when our kids are involved and though it is a very hard decision I have decided I would rather risk my child dying at the scene by my hand than never seeing him or her again.

I would try everything I could to keep it from that but if it came to it I would not stop at going lethal if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Wouldn't start off shooting because I might hit my own child and I think I could stop the abduction without the use of lethal force. I'm sure my first reaction would be to chase after the person and yell "he's kidnapping my girl!" or something of that nature and tackle him.

That raises an interesting question - say the kidnapper is not armed (you probably won't know for sure). And you decide not to shoot for fear of hitting your child and you can tackle the guy. However, do you grapple? If you engage in full body contact, he may get access to your weapon.

What is the proper tactical response when 1) you are in a situation when the use of lethal force is such that the risk of collateral loss of life is too great and 2) to stop the threat, you may have to physically engage, which may allow the threat access to your weapon.

I am at a loss right now as to the proper course of action.
    Grappling is a useful tool to have in your kit, and I am not very advanced, but I guarantee I can submit at least 90% of American males in under 30 seconds. However, in my mind, grappling is never something I would try to do in a real life encounter. Taking somebody down and stomping their face in is one thing (probably illegal in most cases), and grappling is another. It doesn't really hurt people quickly enough, and you're not on your feet. You want to be in there throwing punches/elbows/knees with the intent of breaking stuff.

Learn to box, man. I've said it before on this site, and it probably fell on deaf ears, but boxing rules the street. Find a real gym and train and spar.

So to address your last sentence, I would say you need to get better at shooting or better at fighting.

THIS WOULD SCARE ME TO DEATH,,,,, I speculate
    SAME THING WOULD HAPPEN TO THE BG.

There are few other actions against me or my family that would cause me to react like an 800 lb gorilla on steroids. Firearm unnecessary...
    GreyGhost, Hedgelj and Flex like this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Been there. My now EX had a bad habit of letting her wander in stores, which I was very much against. And found my Ex and asked where she was and her response was "somewhere around here". I immediately started searching, then yelled for her... and heard her yell back "daddy ... help, help" . I followed the sound and there was some "guy" dragging my daughter as she was screaming for help toward the front door of the store ... I yelled at him (which his eyes got rather big) and then yelled to the probably 40 people standing nearby "grab that guy" as he started to take off (which they all ignored). I was now running toward him and he ran like hell. He made it thru that crowd @ the front door and out the door, and was "gone". Couldn't find him. Who knows what would have happened if I would have been armed.

A woman 'SUPPOSEDLY thought' I was a BG when I pulled up in my car and stopped to wait for my granddaughter to come up to the car (she was walking down the sidewalk) at the baseball fields. She made the mistake of grabbing her and trying to push her into her van..... which got me leaping out of the car (convertible) with hand on gun, yelling for her to stop. When I got up to them (rather quickly) I told the woman to "stop or it's going to get ugly really quick lady" ... and she could see where my hand was (on gun). My granddaughter then starts asking me who this crazy woman was..... and she could give me no good reason to pushing my granddaughter into her van, which is when I pulled my phone and dialed 911. The woman wanted to leave, and I made a strong suggestion she should really wait for the police.

What would I do ? Whatever it takes to protect them.
    Last edited by Eagleks; January 14th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Been there. My now EX had a bad habit of letting her wonder in stores, which I was very much against. And found my Ex and asked where she was and her response was "somewhere around here". I immediately started searching, then yelled for her... and heard her yell back "daddy ... help, help" . I followed the sound and there was some "guy" was dragging my daughter as she was screaming for help toward the front door of the store ... I yelled at him (which his eyes got rather big) and then yelled to the probably 40 people standing nearby "grab that guy" as he started to take off (which they all ignored). I was now running toward him and he ran like hell. He made it thru that crowd @ the front door and out the door, and was "gone". Couldn't find him. Who knows what would have happened if I would have been armed.

A woman 'SUPPOSEDLY thought' I was a BG when I pulled up in my car and stopped to wait for my granddaughter to come up to the car (she was walking down the sidewalk) at the baseball fields. She made the mistake of grabbing her and trying to push her into her van..... which got me leaping out of the car (convertible) with hand on gun, yelling for her to stop. When I got up to them (rather quickly) I told the woman to "stop or it's going to get ugly really quick lady" ... and she could see where my hand was (on gun). My granddaughter then starts asking me who this crazy woman was..... and she could give me no good reason to pushing my granddaughter into her van, which is when I pulled my phone and dialed 911. The woman wanted to leave, and I made a strong suggestion she should really wait for the police.

What would I do ? Whatever it takes to protect them.
    Thanks for sharing - very scary.

Several points.
    1) My baby girl is 15, a second degree black belt in American Karate, will be a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as soon as she turns 16 and is as good a shot as I am. She will likely be working on your butt before I get there.
    2) As she is the light of my life, may God have mercy on your miserable hide because I won't.
    3) You had better hope the police have you in protective custody before SWMBO gets hold of you. Imagine a momma Grizzly Bear tearing something up. I don't know if I could stop her and don't know if I would try all that hard.

There would be a whole lot of yelling for help - us to get you to stop and you begging me to get the girls off of you.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Let's see, only 10 steps away. That would call for a can of beans to the back of the head first then as they were picking themselves up off the floor it would be followed by an . At ten steps it's over for them, you got my kid, i'm all over you before you know what happens.

If someone tries taking your child

[QUOTE=DW1911fan;2132997]I was talking about this with my wife today at Costco. I know what I would do in this situation but what would be legal.

Say your at the store and you turn around for a second with child in cart and when you turn back to cart someone is starting to walk away with your baby. Now I would imagine it would be kidnapping if they were leaving the isle but what if they were only 10 steps away. When does it become kidnapping or what should you do in this situation?[/QUOTE

He would deffently would have to go to the hospital after i cought up to him. Unfortantly I live in california i can only fight with my fist unless i feel like my life is in danger. Although if it ever were to unfortantly happen who knows pappa bear will most likly kick in and that individualy will just **** out of luck and ill end up in prison. This is why we carry that trusty knife on us right.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    If someone messes with my kids they will pay the ultimate price. Period!

Let's mix it up a bit, just to keep us all honest...

JerryMac asks what if it were somebody else's kid and they were hollering for help... "He's taking my child!"
    Eagleks adds someone actually tried to take his grand daughter away. Add those two together... here's what you get:

Woman trying to put someone else' child or grand child into her vehicle, they wrestle the child away from her... SHE yells "Hey, he's stealing my baby!"

You've only witnessed the part where the two are wrestling and she screams... Whatcha gonna do? You a man or a mouse?

To give credit to JerryMac: He did say "To what point... would just have to be played out..."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Point to ponder,,,,many abductors, especially of very young children, are women,,,,mindset and tactics the same or you do something different if it was a woman as opposed to a man??

What if you had two young children with you, or in my case two young grandchildren and a BG takes one? I am 70 and can not run fast anymore, but if you leave one to go to help the other, they could both be in jeopardy. I will be carrying a bug.
    Please advise your thoughts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links