If someone tries taking your child

This is a discussion on If someone tries taking your child within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking about this with my wife today at Costco. I know what I would do in this situation but what would be legal. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: If someone tries taking your child

If someone tries taking your child

I was talking about this with my wife today at Costco. I know what I would do in this situation but what would be legal.

Say your at the store and you turn around for a second with child in cart and when you turn back to cart someone is starting to walk away with your baby. Now I would imagine it would be kidnapping if they were leaving the isle but what if they were only 10 steps away. When does it become kidnapping or what should you do in this situation?

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't shoot right away for fear of hitting the child or people around I in a busy store..especially if it's a baby and they are holding it.

I would run after him and you could damn well guarantee they'd get a ridiculous ass whoopin and even some jabs with the knife when I was up close and personal...
    Mattmann and TN_Mike like this.

For the sake of the BG's family, I hope he is paid up on his life insurance. The Colorado statute on the use of deadly force reads like this:

18-1-704 Use Of Physical Force In Defense Of A Person

2. Deadly physical force may be used only if a person reasonably believes a lesser degree of force is inadequate and:

c) The other person is committing or reasonably appears about to commit a kidnapping as defined in section 18-3-301 or 18-3-302. . .

If I think the guy had a weapon, he'd be pushing up posies in a few days. Don't mess with my kids!

Doc
    oneshot and Mattmann like this.

That's about what I would do I live in small town mo and people I don't really know always come and play with my child while were grocery shopping. But that is just how small town people at and it doesn't bother me but if a yahoo came in and details decided to take her I want to know if I'm goin to jail that night. Not that that would stop me from doin what needed to be done.

VIP Member
    If you are physically incapable of intervening, I'd suggest yelling "stop" first before pulling out pistols. It could be an unusual but honest mistake. If they indeed are trying to take your child, Missouri law allows you to use deadly force in defense of another party "against death, serious physical injury, or any forcible felony". Kidnapping is a forcible felony. (I'm no attorney, so do your own double checking...)

That said, in a crowded store, the chances of someone being able to make it out of the store with your child while you are yelling for help and making a ton of noise is pretty low. Not to mention that you could indeed hit your child, or anyone else close by, on accident with an errant round.

If someone started pushing a cart with my child in it, they'd find themselves in a rear naked choke pretty fast, so I don't think I'd necessarily need to shoot to mitigate the threat.
    9MMare likes this.

You do whatever it takes. It's that simple. I think the laws across the nation and any jury assembled will treat the parent favorably.

VIP Member
    If it was my kid, they would have to be faster than Willie Parker, Reggie Bush, Brian Westbrook & Maurice Jones-Drew, and even then, the're gonna get taken down, pummeled beyond all recognition, and then if they put up a fuss, I'll bust a cap.
    Note to kidnappers;
    Don't mess with mine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Good shot Cold Shot.

There will be blood...

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    For the sake of the BG's family, I hope he is paid up on his life insurance. The Colorado statute on the use of deadly force reads like this:

18-1-704 Use Of Physical Force In Defense Of A Person

2. Deadly physical force may be used only if a person reasonably believes a lesser degree of force is inadequate and:

c) The other person is committing or reasonably appears about to commit a kidnapping as defined in section 18-3-301 or 18-3-302. . .

If I think the guy had a weapon, he'd be pushing up posies in a few days. Don't mess with my kids!

Doc
    Jury would probably let you off, Doc. But it's gonna cost you. You highlighted some stuff in the code, but you missed the word and

If you "think" the guy has a weapon isn't enough, you probably ought to "know."

Lesser degree of force inadequate AND commiting a kidnapping... It COULD be argued that simply standing in front of the cart and yelling could have stopped the kidnapper... adequately.. it's also possible that a "reasonable" person would not put their own child at risk of friendly fire...

Just some food for thought... I DO think the jury would let anyone off, if someone were trying to take their kid... but maybe not, depending on the instructions to the jury and the persistence of the prosecutor.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

My kids are grown, they would kick his ass!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Jury would probably let you off, Doc. But it's gonna cost you. You highlighted some stuff in the code, but you missed the word and

If you "think" the guy has a weapon isn't enough, you probably ought to "know."

Lesser degree of force inadequte AND commiting a kidnapping... It COULD be argued that simply standing in front of the cart and yelling could have stopped the kidnapper... adequately.. it's also possible that a "reasonable" person would not put their own child at risk of friendly fire...

Just some food for thought... I DO think the jury would let anyone off, if someone were trying to take their kid... but maybe not, depending on the instructions to the jury and the persistence of the prosecutor.
    Actually, I didn't miss the word "and". That's why I qualified my statement by saying "if I thought he had a weapon".

Still, I agree it would be a sticky situation.

And admittedly, the details of the situation would have to dictate the response. I was being a bit dramatic. No weapon would open up a lot of options.

Doc

Try taking my grandkids?
    My name will be in your medical record/autopsy report.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll be opening a can of whoop a** on them.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

be a good witness?

.......MY child would promptly be back in my possesion. That's all I really know that would happen, evertything else is.....speculation.
    Hoganbeg and GunGeezer like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links