What would you do? (Child abduction, NOT your child)

This is a discussion on What would you do? (Child abduction, NOT your child) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Disclaimer: I did a search for this and could not find it. So f you slam me for restarting a thread you can call me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What would you do? (Child abduction, NOT your child)

What would you do? (Child abduction, NOT your child)

Disclaimer: I did a search for this and could not find it. So f you slam me for restarting a thread you can call me stupid, not lazy

What would you do if a child appeared to be being abducted on the street? Here is a video someone did to see how folks would react:

STRANGER DANGER - CHILD ABDUCTIONS : Would Anyone Help Your Child When Being Abducted? - YouTube

2. Remove Ads

I would attempt to intervene....not with a firearm. Ask the child appropriate questions....and be a good witness for the police.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    Sheep avoiding contact with the big bad wolf, no mystery there.
    Guest1 likes this.

A lot of times what appears to be a child abduction isn't. If you don't know the whole story it's best to call the police and let them sort it out unless there is a clear indication that the child is in immediate danger.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    I would attempt to intervene....not with a firearm. Ask the child appropriate questions....and be a good witness for the police.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    ^^^ This ^^^

No way I would just walk away.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the cowards who would attempt an abduction on the street would just run away if confronted. If not, I'd be ready.

Doc

Great video,but dissapointing,only 3 good guys,This is why I keep my children in front of me "ALL THE TIME!",they know to walk the line in front of me,while Dad's head is on the 360. This shows just how a lot of people are only worried with their day to day,sad!

VIP Member
    Lots of variables that could play into that situation. If I had my children with me and I didn't have my wife or another known and trusted adult to take a protective role for them, I'd have a hard time doing much more than calling 911 and yelling at the guy to get away from the child. Regardless of what I think I see happening, my first responsibility is to my own children, so running off to deal with that situation would only be an option if I didn't have to put my children at risk to do so.

What would really be interesting would be to see how regional differences potentially play into the response of the bystanders. It would still be a roll of the dice, but it would be interesting to see how folks in some other areas of the country reacted.

Call the police and be a good witness. I'm not getting involved with what could be a domestic issue. You never know if it is an unruly child being taken home after running away or whatever scenario could be going on.

Your permit does not make you a super hero or a cop. You are more likely to get yourself into trouble than you are to save the day or be a hero.
    MadMac, TX expat and mr.stuart like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Call the police and be a good witness. I'm not getting involved with what could be a domestic issue. You never know if it is an unruly child being taken home after running away or whatever scenario could be going on.

Your permit does not make you a super hero or a cop. You are more likely to get yourself into trouble than you are to save the day or be a hero.
    Very true, however I've seen a lot of unruly kids in public, and none of them screaming for help.

Situation would definitely call for some very careful observation and analysis.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

GOOD VIDEO.

So sad that people just don't want to get involved. Could it be the price for living in a large city? I don't know. I'd get involved, I'd have no choice after hearing your not my dad and help me. I sure hope it's not that way in small town USA!

My daughter-in-law (we ADORE her) was having so much fun at pre-school as a child, that when her father came to pick her up, rather than the mother as per normal, she looked at him, shook her head, and told her teachers "No, I don't know that man". THAT took awhile to sort out. Her father loves telling that story too.

Same could happen anywhere. Observe, 911, analyze. Talk to the child, talk to the adult, stall.............the circumstances would dictate the responses, so it is excruciatingly difficult to generalize a response.

VIP Member
    Call 911, give a good description of all involved, and make, model and license number if a vehicle is used. You don't know what the circumstances are. It could be a big brother, step father, uncle. Without all the facts your better off letting the professionals handle it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Sometime back I remember reading a post of what appeared to be just this someone forcing a child into a car. Turned out to be a dad making his child get into his car because she was to go home after school not to a friends house.

This falls under the saying I've heard "when there is doubt there is no doubt"
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    GOOD VIDEO.

So sad that people just don't want to get involved. Could it be the price for living in a large city? I don't know. I'd get involved, I'd have no choice after hearing your not my dad and help me. I sure hope it's not that way in small town USA!
    It's not about living in a big city. It's about not wanting to get involved with the civil or criminal justice system.

It is not my duty to save the world, I learned that working in the public sector as a teacher. When dealing with the public, you are more likely to get yourself in trouble when you want to lend a helping hand.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Call 911, give a good description of all involved, and make, model and license number if a vehicle is used. You don't know what the circumstances are. It could be a big brother, step father, uncle. Without all the facts your better off letting the professionals handle it.
    ^^^^^^^^This right here^^^^^^^^^
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links