A pest approached me this morning

This is a discussion on A pest approached me this morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu I still don't get it. You said she wasn't suspicous and yet you reacted defensively. Well, if that is how you ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: A pest approached me this morning

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I still don't get it. You said she wasn't suspicous and yet you reacted defensively. Well, if that is how you are, that iis how you are. What ever makes ya feel safe is the important thing.
    I reacted to being actively approached from the side / behind (aprox 7-8 o'clock) by an unknown person. My reaction of 'do not approach' was automatic. My main point is that there is benefit to the mental games we play here on DC as evident in my reaction. I did not see that they were not overly suspicious looking until after I turned and stopped her advancement. Thinking of the Tueller drill, I don't want to allow an unknown within that kind of distance.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Possible over reaction? Perhaps. But better safe than sorry.

Doc
    marcclarke likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Could have just been trying to solicit you for something.. but wearing a hoodie? I would agree caution was the wisest choice. TSA may not be allowed to profile people, but we can. To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    When it's cold outside I wear a hoodie. I also carry a gun. Guess I'm lucky someone hasn't shot me on sight by now. Hoodie = Criminal in the making! Wow, just holy WOW!!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I am a little concerned about that too. I don't like it, but don't see any good alternatives. Bringing it on campus, even locked in a car is a felony. Stupid. I have a long drive, about 50 miles each way and prefer to have it where I can. At least if it gets stolen there, I can report it stolen and don't have the bigger campus issue. Stupid antis are more scared of someone with a permit than they are of a gun getting in the hands of a criminal.

My wife suggests taking the magazine, but this would leave one in the chamber still. With $1 SD bullets I don't want to eject and re-chamber them more than I have to. Any suggestions in this regard? A good lock box will slow them down, but probably won't stop them. Fortunately car theft is pretty low occurrence there. I also play the out of sight out of mind card too, and don't visibly arm/disarm.

I use one of these when I have to lock my weapon in my car, easily fits a Government Model 1911. Amazon.com: GunVault NV300 NanoVault with Combination Lock: Home Improvement
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    That's the last time she ever tries to tell someone they dropped their wallet!
    suntzu, Spade115, Ishmael and 2 others like this.

Seems like paranoia to me. I wouldn't have thought much of it. If she tried to give me something or ask for money I would have said no thanks and walked away. Millions of teenagers wear hoodies everyday.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    Hmmmm.....I guess, I shouldn't let my sons wear their Elm Fork Shooting Range hoodies anymore!! Seriously, one of your predictors of criminality is whether or not they are wearing a hoodie?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I have a question and I dont mean to call you out on it, BUT

Why is the title "A pest approached me this morning"

Im curious if people asking you questions or talking to you that you dont know bothers you?

This has me real curious
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Wow. Maybe you should just view life from between the folds of your curtains...
    Vaquero 45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Hmmmm.....I guess, I shouldn't let my sons wear their Elm Fork Shooting Range hoodies anymore!! Seriously, one of your predictors of criminality is whether or not they are wearing a hoodie?
    There seems to be a lot of disagreement over my method of profiling. I guess it may be a geographic thing. Around here where I live hoodies are worn by the worst of society. It could also be a difference in terminology. Maybe I'm not using the right word for it. I suppose any shirt that has a hood attached might be a "hoodie" And maybe that is what you guys are referring to. I guess anytime I've seen the word used it typically refers to a a hooded shirt/jacket of very dark color with large pockets. THe thugs around town wear these even during the summer time and the hood is always up around their head to hide their faces from security cameras. They use the large pockets to hide things they shoplift and also hide weapons. I see the thugs walking around with a single arm inside the big pocket and I always wonder if they are holding a knife or gun, just waiting to pull it out.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

A pest approached me this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I have a question and I dont mean to call you out on it, BUT

Why is the title "A pest approached me this morning"

Im curious if people asking you questions or talking to you that you dont know bothers you?

This has me real curious
    It is from the thread "Dealing with PESTS" here on DC that discusses tactics of how to handle an approach.

The tactic discussed was the basis for my response. Turn to clear your 6 while not exposing yourself, put up a physical barrier while using verbal commands, set your limits for how you will respond, followed by explode into action if those limits crossed.

Was my reaction overkill? Probably, but it was a response to mental practice and conditioning and having a response plan.

The hoodie wasn't out of place, but it was noticed. By hoodie I mean sweat shirt with hood up and large pockets capable of concealing. She was probably a college student. I am not. A hoodie is also not typical wear of most of the campus denizens at this univ, though I am sure there are a few wearing them, it isn't the most common attire.

VIP Member
    I have a question. Was your reaction the result of excessive vigilance, maybe some conscious role playing, running out scenarios in your mind and physically in a secure situation too? Or, was your response to an intuitive feeling of danger?

Somewhere on this board folks have recommended the book, "The Gift of Fear," by Gavin de Becker. I just finished it
    over the past few days and it is a winner---highly recommend it. It is full of good stuff, but the last chapter is really really
    important for getting it all in perspective and keeping it real.

You know in a very intuitive way what that girl was up to and whether or not your reaction was appropriate or over the top.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

My brother was approached in Philadelphia by a homeless person once. The guy was holding a soda can with his other hand on top. He asked for money and my brother told him, "No!" The guy then revealed he was hiding a screwdriver with the soda can (blade in can, hand covering handle) and then attempted to stab my brother with it. My brother's leather jacket repeled the blade and he took off.

We can't be 110% ready for every encounter, but it doesn't hurt to try...

To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    So I guess I should throw away 90% of my winter wear then....

Bill Belichick wears a hoodie, so I guess he's a bad guy? He even wears one with cut off sleeves!
    suntzu likes this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links