A pest approached me this morning

This is a discussion on A pest approached me this morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I get the pest statement, I work in a Univ. town too. The students are pests. LOL Now to the OP actions. IMO, you overreacted. ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: A pest approached me this morning

I get the pest statement, I work in a Univ. town too. The students are pests. LOL

Now to the OP actions. IMO, you overreacted. At some point in time we have to realize that there are other people on the planet that do not want to harm us. To treat them all that way is not right. Thats what I see wrong. What was right, was your SA. You were able to see a individual coming up on you....Overall, a little over zealous, but not to bad....

Have to add, I also have a hoodie on.
    MadMac likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I am a little concerned about that too. I don't like it, but don't see any good alternatives. Bringing it on campus, even locked in a car is a felony. Stupid. I have a long drive, about 50 miles each way and prefer to have it where I can. At least if it gets stolen there, I can report it stolen and don't have the bigger campus issue. Stupid antis are more scared of someone with a permit than they are of a gun getting in the hands of a criminal.

My wife suggests taking the magazine, but this would leave one in the chamber still. With $1 SD bullets I don't want to eject and re-chamber them more than I have to. Any suggestions in this regard? A good lock box will slow them down, but probably won't stop them. Fortunately car theft is pretty low occurrence there. I also play the out of sight out of mind card too, and don't visibly arm/disarm.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Why not just download the magazine by one round and then take the magazine out and put the extra round in there? Or do that with your spare magazine?

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I reacted to being actively approached from the side / behind (aprox 7-8 o'clock) by an unknown person. My reaction of 'do not approach' was automatic. My main point is that there is benefit to the mental games we play here on DC as evident in my reaction. I did not see that they were not overly suspicious looking until after I turned and stopped her advancement. Thinking of the Tueller drill, I don't want to allow an unknown within that kind of distance.

So when you go to the mall, do you stop and yell at people to keep their distance? Not allow anyone within so many feet of you? What about at Walmart? Do you make the cashier stand back while you pay and leave the cash on the little check signing table? She is an unknown and could flip out and kill you? What about in class at school? All those unknowns surrounding you? How does one cope with all the potential threats?
    adric22 likes this.

Aaaaannnnnddddd....... I rest my case about some people trying to shame another into doing things their way by calling them derogatory names or describing them as anything but reasonable as they saw the need to be at that moment unless they are demonstrably wrong.

Once again, threats come in all shapes and sizes.

I know cases where a 15 year old chased a 16 year old through a chain restaurant with a ten inch knife trying to stab the other, and on another occasion, a 15 yo who tried to purse snatch a 70ish yo woman to get into a gang, and the woman ended up falling, striking her head and eventually dying because she tried to hang on to her property. Both of those "kids" could be polite as you please when they wanted to be, because I had personal dealings with them for years prior to their arrests for those crimes. Are you saying these "kids" would not be perceived as a possible threat if they walked up on you in a parking lot wearing a nondescript hoodie saying, "Excuse me, Sir!"

Once you assume a 100lb. woman could not be a threat to you, you have skipped a groove in your safety continuum, and believe me, I have seen some small women do some pretty mean damage to men who assumed they were no threat, or that they could be easily handled or even ignored as a threat because of their size and demeanor when first encountered.

Just last summer, while in training to prepare for the Mexican Drug Cartel violence that I assure you is now coming north of the border and may even be in a city or town near you up north, we were shown a nice little home video a cartel member made of a 90ish lb woman using a nice large knife to decapitate a still living but well trussed up man. If she could do that to a helpless living human, then I imagine that her just smiling and pulling a weapon on you would be no problem at all, so please don't tell me a woman is no threat to a large man.

And below is a nice little news article on a Gang "Jump in" we had here in the Austin Area just recently. If you look at the names that they are allowed to print because they are not among the juveniles, you will notice a nice young lady's name in there. Believe me, I doubt that she would have any problem pulling a knife or gun on you if she wanted your things.

Police Make Arrests in Gang Initiation
    tundra likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Administrator
    Clean up in aisle 4!
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Clean up in aisle 4!
    I've got the broom if you bring the mop.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I've got the broom if you bring the mop.
    Cool, we both get to swing big sticks.
    limatunes likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    OK, several posts were deleted... disagreement is a good thing, as long as the argument does not turn to childish bickering or name calling. Try being a little more constructive- its more fun that way anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In the end you act based on not only your training,but on the sum of your life experience. Those who work(or have worked)in law enforcement,for example,will react differently than those who haven't.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I am a little concerned about that too. I don't like it, but don't see any good alternatives. Bringing it on campus, even locked in a car is a felony. Stupid. I have a long drive, about 50 miles each way and prefer to have it where I can. At least if it gets stolen there, I can report it stolen and don't have the bigger campus issue. Stupid antis are more scared of someone with a permit than they are of a gun getting in the hands of a criminal.

My wife suggests taking the magazine, but this would leave one in the chamber still. With $1 SD bullets I don't want to eject and re-chamber them more than I have to. Any suggestions in this regard? A good lock box will slow them down, but probably won't stop them. Fortunately car theft is pretty low occurrence there. I also play the out of sight out of mind card too, and don't visibly arm/disarm.

You might consider some of the older Smiths that have a magazine disconnect. Will not fire without mag.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    You might consider some of the older Smiths that have a magazine disconnect. Will not fire without mag.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Don't some of the Springfield's or Ruger's have this feature too? It would at least render it in operative till they got a replacement, so it couldn't be used right away.

I actually had a discussion about this topic with my parents yesterday. They said, "what if it gets stolen from your car?". I replied, at least that is legal. Keeping it with me would be better, but that is a felony, which is so stupid I could spit.

VIP Member
    Wow. I guess there's a contrarian in each of us, eh? Exercise SA, keep a defensive posture, and...don't be rude?

I'll go out on a limb. Someone with a hoodie sets me off too. Just not my thing - we all have our prejudices, mine's just hoodies, not skin color.

I used to be Mr. NiceAndApproachable, until a homeless guy started screaming at me because I refused to give him a ride in my car. This occurred before I had my weapons carry license and before I found this forum. You know how the encounter started? You guessed it - "Excuse me, sir, good morning, I don't mean to bother you." I let him get to about two feet away from me at a gas station. He seem very friendly from the get-go, but then exploded when he realized I wouldn't help him.

I'm not second guessing the OP. His spidey senses told him something was amiss. The "Damsel in Distress" is a classic male distraction. Was the OP correct? Dunno. Was he objectively rude? Yes. Would I have reacted that way? Dunno - I wasn't there. But it is his decision to choose when to engage with others and on his terms. And making that choice doesn't mean he's contributing to the downfall of Western Civilization.

PEF

One edit - the point may not have been clear - I think the issue of civility is secondary to defensive reaction. I'd hate for someone to hesitate when they feel something is amiss for fear of being "rude."

Yep, young with "hoodie", I'd not engage in conversation. Maybe I got OCD, but I profile anyone near me instantly. The OP may have been approached by an innocent person handing out a flyer yes. Or someone about to solicit him in some other way legal or not. Worst case set up for a mugging. He was right to not engage but verbal was not like I would respond. My verbal response is simple, "Sorry not interested" if low suspicion. With the hand" Higher suspicion of ill intent gets, "Stay the blank away from me!" with strong defensive body language lol...I'm a polite person, but am seeing far too many interpret this for weakness. So screw their feelings.I had an angry nut job advance on me yelling. He waited for me after I refused him entry to my workplace because he was either high or drunk/crazy. He and a younger male were on bikes with backpacks. Appeared homeless. It was a dimly lit parking lot as I was leaving work one night. I reacted verbally and put my car between us opening my passenger side instead so I could retrieve my sidearm discreetly. Many will try to stage an argument to onlookers while there intent is to rob you. Do not engage past a firm verbal rejection of their BS. ..
    Pistology likes this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

good time to join GRNC.org. and do something about that stupid university carry

Hmmm guess I need to change how I react to pests. Next time someone stops me in a parking lot in an attempt to had me some unwanted advertising I will graciously accept them. When I get home with my wonderful new information hawking some product or cause I will read through it in order to fully appreciate the information on it.
    Then if I am lucky enough to be called by another of these pests who has decided that handing out flyers is just too old fashioned for him and has advanced to using the telephone to hawk his wares I will count myself double blessed for I have possibly met a new friend. I will gladly exchange pleasantries with my new friend. Perhaps we can discuss the latest sale prices on ammo.

Or I can tell them to stay away from me. To quit calling me. Okay, maybe I am over reacting.

Michael

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links