A pest approached me this morning - Page 5

A pest approached me this morning

This is a discussion on A pest approached me this morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m Hmmm guess I need to change how I react to pests. Next time someone stops me in a parking lot in ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: A pest approached me this morning

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Hmmm guess I need to change how I react to pests. Next time someone stops me in a parking lot in an attempt to had me some unwanted advertising I will graciously accept them. When I get home with my wonderful new information hawking some product or cause I will read through it in order to fully appreciate the information on it.
    Then if I am lucky enough to be called by another of these pests who has decided that handing out flyers is just too old fashioned for him and has advanced to using the telephone to hawk his wares I will count myself double blessed for I have possibly met a new friend. I will gladly exchange pleasantries with my new friend. Perhaps we can discuss the latest sale prices on ammo.

Or I can tell them to stay away from me. To quit calling me. Okay, maybe I am over reacting.

Michael
    Michael, you must either be clairvoyant or have eyes in the back of your head because your response requires a priori information that I didn't have. I had no idea of what this individual approaching me looked like or what they wanted until I heard them. My initial response was to put my hand out low, and say, "I can't help you" at which point I then turned around and noticed them continuing to advance on me over my obvious declaration of this being contrary to my wishes. This is when I told them to stop. Knowledge of their attire, aka the hoodie with the hood up, or the contents of their hand did not come until after this initial encounter.

Over last couple of work days I have been paying close attention to the area surrounding the incident. I drive right past, actually through, the area where this occurred. There are only about 8-10 cars (5 parking rows) aligned head on into each other that I would have passed and viewed (a prerequisite to looking for a spot) on my way to a parking spot and it would be difficult to not notice someone in the immediate area. My curiosity as to where they were located when this happened is increasing. While it is possible that I was distracted to the point of SA being in the toilet, it would be uncommon for me to be that oblivious. Given the totality of the circumstances, including the direction in which this young lady left, the distance that they covered without approaching anyone else, and the "hobo huddle" with a person who also appeared from an unusual area, I am not convinced that this was a fully wholesome encounter. This too leaves me wondering if the hoodie, which is still uncharacteristic attire for most of the local denizens, was up for concealment or for warmth?

Speaking of profiling and the stupid hoodie, yes, I will profile. Your appearance does matter. You can scream every prejudice card in the book, but it isn't going to change it. Just like the guy last night in the grocery store who stood there looking like he was pissed off and had a low intelligence while his wife (?) was arguing with the cashier about WIC not allowing an item that they wanted to buy and them not wanting to pay for it otherwise. They had my attention even though I appeared to be idly looking at the magazines while waiting for them to finish before unloading my items.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2;2143771[B
    ]Michael, you must either be clairvoyant or have eyes in the back of your head because your response requires a priori information that I didn't have[/B]. I had no idea of what this individual approaching me looked like or what they wanted until I heard them. My initial response was to put my hand out low, and say, "I can't help you" at which point I then turned around and noticed them continuing to advance on me over my obvious declaration of this being contrary to my wishes. This is when I told them to stop. Knowledge of their attire, aka the hoodie with the hood up, or the contents of their hand did not come until after this initial encounter.

Over last couple of work days I have been paying close attention to the area surrounding the incident. I drive right past, actually through, the area where this occurred. There are only about 8-10 cars (5 parking rows) aligned head on into each other that I would have passed and viewed (a prerequisite to looking for a spot) on my way to a parking spot and it would be difficult to not notice someone in the immediate area. My curiosity as to where they were located when this happened is increasing. While it is possible that I was distracted to the point of SA being in the toilet, it would be uncommon for me to be that oblivious. Given the totality of the circumstances, including the direction in which this young lady left, the distance that they covered without approaching anyone else, and the "hobo huddle" with a person who also appeared from an unusual area, I am not convinced that this was a fully wholesome encounter. This too leaves me wondering if the hoodie, which is still uncharacteristic attire for most of the local denizens, was up for concealment or for warmth?

Speaking of profiling and the stupid hoodie, yes, I will profile. Your appearance does matter. You can scream every prejudice card in the book, but it isn't going to change it. Just like the guy last night in the grocery store who stood there looking like he was pissed off and had a low intelligence while his wife (?) was arguing with the cashier about WIC not allowing an item that they wanted to buy and them not wanting to pay for it otherwise. They had my attention even though I appeared to be idly looking at the magazines while waiting for them to finish before unloading my items.
    Sorry, my post was aimed at those criticizing you and not your reaction. I believe that you have every right to let people know you wish to be left alone and that they should honor that wish.

Michael

Sorry, my post was aimed at those criticizing you and not your reaction. I believe that you have every right to let people know you wish to be left alone and that they should honor that wish.

Michael
    Thank you for the clarification. Re-reading your statement with understanding, your intentions are clear to me.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    Wow.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Wow.
    I do not understand the problem. When I was young it was long hair, leather jackets and tattoos that marked a person as someone to be watched. Profiling is nothing new.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; January 24th, 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

I do not understand the problem. When I was young it was long hair, leather jackets and tattoos that marked a person as someone to be watched. Profiling is nothing new.

Michael
    Understand what you are saying but kids from NM to NH have been wear hoodies for the last 12 years (going by from when my son was 5) or so in the suburbs, cities, country, mountains....I mean everywhere. How do you profile something that is average attire? I think because people did not grow up with hoodies they associate them with thugs. I think it is silly at this point in time. Almost every kid I saw today from the small town I live in to Manchester had hoodies.

There is no conceivable reason for you to be nice to strangers who initiate contact on the street when you are alone.
    No good can possibly come of it.

I have been approached on the street many times, and strangely, it has never been to my
    benefit to be kind, friendly, polite, or even civil.
    What reason does a girl 20+ years younger than me, with an out of sight associate have to make contact with me?

If someone does not know me, I am not starting a relationship on the street with them.
    They want to give me money? They want to spread pamphlets about Jesus coming back?

Bilge!

I DON'T CARE what their story is, I don't care about their tale of woe which ends with me giving
    them money or getting a knife in my ribs.

Rudeness works. I am happy to utilize it.

If someone can tell me THREE legitimate reasons for a stranger to advance upon a stranger as Noway described,
    WITHOUT ill intentions I would love to hear it.
    Innocent people without ill intent do NOT keep advancing on you when to tell them rudely, or alarmedly to stay back.
    They just don't.
    Pistology and noway2 like this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is one happy person

1. Needs directions
    2. Maybe Noway dropped something
    3. Maybe she needed the time

Noway said he started telling her something when she kept advancing (walking) toward him. He never got the words out it seems.
    Hey, be rude to everybody you want. There are more good natured people out there than ones that want to stick a knife in your ribs. As far as the "hidden associates", they don't factor in to his actions because he did not know of them at the time.

What would happen if you dropped your keys or wallet. You do not want that person to tell you?
    You can live your life with civilization or just be afraid or fearful your entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    There is no conceivable reason for you to be nice to strangers who initiate contact on the street when you are alone.
    No good can possibly come of it.

I have been approached on the street many times, and strangely, it has never been to my
    benefit to be kind, friendly, polite, or even civil.
    What reason does a girl 20+ years younger than me, with an out of sight associate have to make contact with me?

If someone does not know me, I am not starting a relationship on the street with them.
    They want to give me money? They want to spread pamphlets about Jesus coming back?

Bilge!

I DON'T CARE what their story is, I don't care about their tale of woe which ends with me giving
    them money or getting a knife in my ribs.

Rudeness works. I am happy to utilize it.

If someone can tell me THREE legitimate reasons for a stranger to advance upon a stranger as Noway described,
    WITHOUT ill intentions I would love to hear it.
    Innocent people without ill intent do NOT keep advancing on you when to tell them rudely, or alarmedly to stay back.
    They just don't.
    Just because we are more aware of our surroundings and are more aware of our defenses doesnt mean that we have to be rude to everyone that comes are way. We should be an asset to society not a liability.
    suntzu likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Do you live in Mayberry?

I don't, never found the place.

Have you ever taken a 4x4 upside the back of your head, or have a dozen "YUTES" try to kill you?

I have.

Returning someones keys or dropped wallet does not entail sneakery.

Act sneaky and I'll treat you like you have something to be sneaky about.

Do you live in Mayberry?

Have you ever taken a 4x4 upside the back of your head, or have a dozen "YUTES" try to kill you?

I have.

She wasn't being sneaky. Try again Oh, whatever, I live my life with out fear, but with SA. I live my life trusting people unless there is a reason not to. If a raggedly looking person approached me on the street my SA would go up but I ain't going to discount him offhand. He might just want to ask a question. Good luck in life.

Do you live in Mayberry?

I have.

I dont live in Mayberry either, I have been stabbed in the back twice, and once in the arm. Whats the point. We all have stories to tell. However, I havent become jaded about man kind. Just more cautious. Life is to short to let this type of occurence rule our lives.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Originally Posted by mlr1m

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Understand what you are saying but kids from NM to NH have been wear hoodies for the last 12 years (going by from when my son was 5) or so in the suburbs, cities, country, mountains....I mean everywhere. How do you profile something that is average attire? I think because people did not grow up with hoodies they associate them with thugs. I think it is silly at this point in time. Almost every kid I saw today from the small town I live in to Manchester had hoodies.
    Easy, you profile using your knowledge and personal experience of how those wearing that average attire conduct themselves. For instance, where I live a person wearing a blue bandanna is not given a second thought. That same person an a large city might be looked at as a gang member flaunting his colors. Same goes for hoodies. Where I live the person wearing the hoodies is more than likely also wearing a pair of CarHart overalls and work boots.
    If the OP lives in an area where the local bad guys dress in a particular manner it would be crazy for him not to give anyone wearing that attire extra attention. I do not know about the area the OP lives in so I have to take his word for what is or isn't considered a red flag there.
    If you live in an area where there is a large gang presence do you ignore those who dress like members of the gang? After all non gang members also wear that type of clothing.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; January 24th, 2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie
    noway2 likes this.

VIP Member
    And while the sun and moon endure
    Luck’s a chance, but trouble’s sure,
    I’d face it as a wise man would,
    And train for ill and not for good.
    -"Terrence this is Stupid Stuff" by A. E. Housman
    You can live your life with civilization or just be afraid or fearful your entire life.
    You are equating civilization with Mayberry. There is no such place. What we call civilization is an immeasurable number of split second decisions, eons of triumph of freedom over claims to debt and sacrifice; of individualists over collectivists; of walking from the battlefield over defeat there. All to separate the winners from the losers.

We each come from a long line of individuals who won at life long enough to procreate. There are times even for winners in "civilization" for rational fear. Yes, winning is in our DNA.

Hey, be rude to everybody you want. There are more good natured people out there than ones that want to stick a knife in your ribs. As far as the "hidden associates", they don't factor in to his actions because he did not know of them at the time.
    It isn't a question of quantity - how many more good natured people are out there - because just one knife in one's ribs can ruin one's day. I contend that "hidden associates" do factor in on an unconcious level whether or not the OP was aware on any level of a physical presence. Humans are sensitive and averse naturally to the threat of multiple attackers.
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.... Thus the highest form of generalship is to balk the enemy's plans; the next best is to prevent the junction of the enemy's forces. - The Art of War by Sun Tzu
    You aren't striking a blow for "civilization", you're striking a blow for sheep in the fold upon which the wolf decends. My civilization isn't counting on me not to be rude. It's counting on me to make life-saving decisions before it's too late. Feelings be damned.
    noway2 likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

She wasn't being sneaky. Try again Oh, whatever, I live my life with out fear, but with SA. I live my life trusting people unless there is a reason not to. If a raggedly looking person approached me on the street my SA would go up but I ain't going to discount him offhand. He might just want to ask a question. Good luck in life.
    I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here. My response was not fear. Annoyance yes, not fear. Annoyance because if I delay to talk, I could miss my transport and be late. Annoyance because I quite simply didn't want to be bothered with this individual who was intruding on my private space and time. Even the thought behind my comment of "I left my blankity blank glock in the car" was one more of amusement or irony as in, so this is how it goes down naturally.

At Suntzu, of course, I don't expect you to see things this way and even if you did, seeing as our verbal interactions in this forum tend towards animosity, I doubt you would express anything other than a contrary opinion, regardless.

Links