A pest approached me this morning - Page 6

A pest approached me this morning

This is a discussion on A pest approached me this morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds to me that you did well with the encounter. Your sense of awareness made you less venerable, whether it was the 20ish female who ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: A pest approached me this morning

Sounds to me that you did well with the encounter. Your sense of awareness made you less venerable, whether it was the 20ish female who walked toward you, or somebody else that you may have encountered on the train, freeway, store, etc.
    First and formost, to the ones who may be thinking "oh no, here goes another profiler" no, crimminals come in all sorts of ages, sizes, colors, and yes, ages.
    Some may take offense (this is not my intention) to me stating that yes, I too would probably profile them if they were wearing a hoodie over their head, and my spidey sense would place me on alert. The way I take it is, if you can't fully identify yourself by taking off that hoodie, (or any other garment that doesn't give me a clear concise view of your face) then I will accept you're possibly up to no good. If I have to ask you to stop where you are, take off the hoodie and you don't/won't, then you'll get the same response from me with the hand outstretched and the other hand in the position to possibly draw my weapon if I am armed. The fact you didn't have your gun on might make you more venerable, but they don't know you're not armed. Just placing yourself in a good defensive position and saying "stop" is enough to make that person know you're setting the boundries.
    Yes, people innocently place hoodies over their heads to help keep warm, and to also make a fashon statement, but the crimminals place em over their heads in an attempt to conceil their identity. With all that in mind, and taking the time of day, area of the city, outside temperature, time of year, etc, I would say you did no wrong by setting up your perimeter. the fact you were alert, and mentally prepared, made you less a target. You also wated their actions from a distance in order to prepare yourself for the journey home and for future encounters, should they happen the next day.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Sounds to me that you did well with the encounter. Your sense of awareness made you less venerable, whether it was the 20ish female who walked toward you, or somebody else that you may have encountered on the train, freeway, store, etc.
    First and formost, to the ones who may be thinking "oh no, here goes another profiler" no, crimminals come in all sorts of ages, sizes, colors, and yes, ages.
    I think that IS the point. Having your senses go up because of a hoodie is silly. In the authors words above "they come in all sorts".

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Understand what you are saying but kids from NM to NH have been wear hoodies for the last 12 years (going by from when my son was 5) or so in the suburbs, cities, country, mountains....I mean everywhere. How do you profile something that is average attire? I think because people did not grow up with hoodies they associate them with thugs. I think it is silly at this point in time. Almost every kid I saw today from the small town I live in to Manchester had hoodies.
    First of all, I am not attacking your statment, just adding my observations as a NH resident.
    Yes you did see them with hoodies on. It was probably 20 degrees out too. I too live in NH where it's cold out, but how many times do you see people, in Nh where it's warmer temps, like the 60s and 70s with hoodies on too. It's either a fashon statement, or they're possibly up to no good right? Take a look on WMUR TV 9 news at all the roberies on tape. Just about all of them on film have hood over their heads, not because it's cold, but in an attempt to help conceil their identity. If it's 65 out, and you have a hoodie on, what does that say to people? To some, it means nothing. To others, it says you MIGHT be up to no good. Gotta look at the whole picture.
    Years ago, and to this day, where did the hoodie over the head come from? It was from the areas that had a lot of drive by shootings (hoodie over the head to help conceil the identity of the shooter or his/her homeboys)
    I ride a motorcycle, wear leather, and ride with people who have tats and peircings in their ears. Doesn't make them bad people, in fact most (if not all) of these people would be the first to offer their assistance to others who may be in need of a jumpstart, or help in other ways to others in need.
    It's just the sign of the times, the economy, and people's demeanor in general, that places us on alert in order to protect ourselves and loveones from those who wish to do us harm.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I think that IS the point. Having your senses go up because of a hoodie is silly. In the authors words above "they come in all sorts".
    After reading your reply to my post, I had to add my take on what you said. I will not get into a contest of witts about all of this but:
    It's NOT "silly" as you say. Being prepared isn't silly. Being not prepared is just dumb.
    Yes, they (crimminals) come in all sorts of ages, sizes, and colors.
    I guess that's where we may differ on the post.
    Go into a convienience store in your area, and put your hoodie up, and I truely believe you'll get a different response than if you went in with it down.
    I know you know what I'm talking about, as a lot of stores have it posted in their windows or front doors.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    After reading your reply to my post, I had to add my take on what you said. I will not get into a contest of witts about all of this but:
    It's NOT "silly" as you say. Being prepared isn't silly. Being not prepared is just dumb.
    Yes, they (crimminals) come in all sorts of ages, sizes, and colors.
    I guess that's where we may differ on the post.
    Go into a convienience store in your area, and put your hoodie up, and I truely believe you'll get a different response than if you went in with it down.
    I know you know what I'm talking about, as a lot of stores have it posted in their windows or front doors.
    I will retract my word silly, but the convenience store analogy is apples and oranges. The original post has a girl outside in the morning when it is cold out. A hoodie is not out of the norm when it is cold is all what I was saying. Inside, of course it is different. It isn't a contest of wits. It is called a view point.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of disagreement over my method of profiling. I guess it may be a geographic thing. Around here where I live hoodies are worn by the worst of society. It could also be a difference in terminology. Maybe I'm not using the right word for it. I suppose any shirt that has a hood attached might be a "hoodie" And maybe that is what you guys are referring to. I guess anytime I've seen the word used it typically refers to a a hooded shirt/jacket of very dark color with large pockets. THe thugs around town wear these even during the summer time and the hood is always up around their head to hide their faces from security cameras. They use the large pockets to hide things they shoplift and also hide weapons. I see the thugs walking around with a single arm inside the big pocket and I always wonder if they are holding a knife or gun, just waiting to pull it out.
    Adric - my point was that to judge someone based on a piece of clothing is flawed at best - IMHO. Now when we begin to take other factors into account a different picture may emerge. If I see someone wearing a hoodie (or trench coat for that matter) in Dallas during the month of August where its 105 in the shade, well thats a different story. However, the guy that showed up several weeks ago (when it was 40 degrees outside) to do some electrical work in our house, wearing a hoodie, jeans and work boots had no effect on my spider sense.

In neither of those two scenarios is the hoodie the issue -- its the surrounding factors that give me pause. So, do I think that hoodies = criminal in the making? No, I do believe however that there will be situations where a piece of clothing can/will affect the overall threat assessment. In the end, I am sure we agree much more than we disagree on this topic!

Stay safe with all those hoodlums in Fort Worth!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Originally Posted by adric22
    There seems to be a lot of disagreement over my method of profiling. I guess it may be a geographic thing. Around here where I live hoodies are worn by the worst of society. It could also be a difference in terminology. Maybe I'm not using the right word for it. I suppose any shirt that has a hood attached might be a "hoodie" And maybe that is what you guys are referring to. I guess anytime I've seen the word used it typically refers to a a hooded shirt/jacket of very dark color with large pockets. THe thugs around town wear these even during the summer time and the hood is always up around their head to hide their faces from security cameras. They use the large pockets to hide things they shoplift and also hide weapons. I see the thugs walking around with a single arm inside the big pocket and I always wonder if they are holding a knife or gun, just waiting to pull it out.

Adric - my point was that to judge someone based on a piece of clothing is flawed at best - IMHO. Now when we begin to take other factors into account a different picture may emerge. If I see someone wearing a hoodie (or trench coat for that matter) in Dallas during the month of August where its 105 in the shade, well thats a different story. However, the guy that showed up several weeks ago (when it was 40 degrees outside) to do some electrical work in our house, wearing a hoodie, jeans and work boots had no effect on my spider sense.

In neither of those two scenarios is the hoodie the issue -- its the surrounding factors that give me pause. So, do I think that hoodies = criminal in the making? No, I do believe however that there will be situations where a piece of clothing can/will affect the overall threat assessment. In the end, I am sure we agree much more than we disagree on this topic!

Stay safe with all those hoodlums in Fort Worth!!

Could not have said it any better about the two posts above.
    As USPinTX said: "I'm sure we ALL agree much more than we disagree on the topic" We're all hereon this forum, bound by the same interests, basic ideas, and hope that we can all learn from one another in order to keep ousselves, and loved ones safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I ride a motorcycle, wear leather, and ride with people who have tats and peircings in their ears. Doesn't make them bad people, in fact most (if not all) of these people would be the first to offer their assistance to others who may be in need of a jumpstart, or help in other ways to others in need.
    It's just the sign of the times, the economy, and people's demeanor in general, that places us on alert in order to protect ourselves and loveones from those who wish to do us harm.
    First of all, you DO NOT live in S. NH,,you live in Northern MA LOL. Manchester and points south are IMHO just like being in MA. I live north of Conway. That is NH. Just kidding with ya but I think you know what I mean. I have never seen a sign that says no hoodies. But it is wear I live. This is truly where folks leave you alone and mind there own business. I was going through all of the gun related crimes and violent crimes in the last few years and profiling would not help somebody one bit. But of course everybodys SA is tuned to a different level depending on their own personal experiences, biass and where they live.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Could have just been trying to solicit you for something.. but wearing a hoodie? I would agree caution was the wisest choice. TSA may not be allowed to profile people, but we can. To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    Wow! Guess I'd better stop wearing my Harley-Davidson hoodies and my Cleveland Browns hoddie! After all, I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm a criminal! Wearing "Harley" stuff makes it doubly bad!!! Not only am I a criminal, I'm a "biker" criminal!

BTW, someone should inform Bill "Belicheat" that he shouldn't wear his hoodie on the sidelines of the super bowel next Sunday--he might get mistaken for a criminal!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Wow! Guess I'd better stop wearing my Harley-Davidson hoodies and my Cleveland Browns hoddie! After all, I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm a criminal! Wearing "Harley" stuff makes it doubly bad!!! Not only am I a criminal, I'm a "biker" criminal!

BTW, someone should inform Bill "Belicheat" that he shouldn't wear his hoodie on the sidelines of the super bowel next Sunday--he might get mistaken for a criminal!
    As a Browns fan, I can only say that it is criminal to be seen in that attire nowadays.

PEF (The "F" stands for "fairweather")

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Wow! Guess I'd better stop wearing my Harley-Davidson hoodies and my Cleveland Browns hoddie! After all, I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm a criminal! Wearing "Harley" stuff makes it doubly bad!!! Not only am I a criminal, I'm a "biker" criminal! :
    Speaking as a former Cleveland area native, go into Pittsburgh wearing that attire. Someone will become a criminal, whether it is you, them, or both is a good question.

Go Pats! Since this went off topic, a real game is on this afternoon:NHL All Star game. Bruins Zdeno Chara did a 108 mph slapshot in the skills competition:
    On topic: Went to Boston yesterday to visit parents. Saw criminals the whole way (hoodie wearing villians!)hoodie.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Bill Belichick wears a hoodie, so I guess he's a bad guy? He even wears one with cut off sleeves!
    Well....
    NEW YORK -- New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for spying on an opponent's defensive signals.
    If he had been wearing a nice suit his misdeeds may have gone unnoticed.
    Just sayin.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I have a question and I dont mean to call you out on it, BUT

Why is the title "A pest approached me this morning"

Im curious if people asking you questions or talking to you that you dont know bothers you?

This has me real curious
    I am going to side with the OP on this, hoodie, no hoodie, stranger approaching you to ask for money, directions, time of day, if you know Jesus, it doesn't matter. The OP has no moral or ethical responsibilty to stop and talk to them. If he wants to be left alone, leave him alone. I see nothing wrong with his actions and considering she did have an associate near by means that it could have been an attempt to distract him, pan handle or change his church affilation. Perhaps we should assume that perhaps it was that "little voice", "Spidey sense" or "Guardian Angle" that told him to react the way he did. We should all be willing to listen to that little voice if we are going to practice usefull situational awareness.

Well, just last Monday I was coming home from a nice few days off in Delaware. I was not carrying (I have a New York Permit) anything except my ZT301. My wife was in the car with me as we stopped for gas on US1 about a mile north of Rehoboth, Delaware. It was about 10pm. As I pulled into the station my SA went up a notch as it usually does at night. Nobody was on my side of the quickmart type station and I began filling my car. Around the corner comes not some Hoddie wearing 20 year old female, but a guy in his late 30s early 40s over 6 feet tall and outweighting me by a good 75 lbs. Baseball cap, long dirty hair and dirty beard, flannel shirt and jeans complete the picture. As soon as he sees me he starts with the "Hi buddy, how ya doing" crap. Purely on instinct the hand came up and I told him to stop right there. He stopped and said he wasn't going to hurt me. To which I replied,"I know you're not!" He started to move again and I said don't come any closer. His tone changed and he started to say something about how this is the United States of America and we don't treat people like this. He saw my License Plate and suggested that I should go on back to New York. He got a bit more belligerant. I didn't say a word. Finally he turned around and left. Had things gone south, there wasn't much I could have done except give him a gasoline bath. ZT301 was last resort. I got in my car and left wife had phone out ready to call the cops.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links