A pest approached me this morning

This is a discussion on A pest approached me this morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This morning I arrived at the plaza that I often times use as a park & ride lot to take a shuttle bus the rest ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: A pest approached me this morning

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

This morning I arrived at the plaza that I often times use as a park & ride lot to take a shuttle bus the rest of the way into work. I work at a univ where weapons are forbidden and this lot being a section of a public shopping center is a place where I can legally leave my weapons in my car and avoid bringing them onto the campus. From where I park, I have to walk a few hundred feet to the bus stop area. It is open, well lit, occasional police presence, and there are usually a few people around. Being the morning commute hour, it is not uncommon to have others who are arriving at nearly the same time around you and also walking to and from the bus stop area at the same time. This morning, however, as I was walking towards the stop area, I heard this girl behind me start saying, "Sir, excuse me, Sir.". While it isn't uncommon to have others around, being addressed by one of them certainly is.

Since joining this forum last summer, I have been working on improving my SA and planning ahead of time with mental rehearsing how to handle these types of scenarios. It appears that some of the mental exercise we do here actually paid off, or at least had a real impact because it altered how I handled this situation as compared to prior to my time here. This time, I stopped and turned 90 degrees, giving me a full view of what had been behind me while not directly exposing myself and I saw that I was being approached by an early 20's white female wearing a hoodie. I put my (gloved) left hand out palm towards her (stop gesture - i.e. a physical fence) and started to say, "I can't help you, don't approach", but she continued to do so, so I firmly said, "stop!". At this point she got a shocked look on her face, said, "O...KAAAY" and walked away. The bus arrived about 30 seconds later and I got on the bus and continued to watch her walk away. She got about halfway across the parking lot and I noticed man join up with her and they continued to walk towards the back of the parking lot where they disappeared behind a car, and it looked like there was one more car behind that one at the very end of the lot. It looked like they were carrying some paper or something in their hands but I couldn't tell what. From where I was, I couldn't tell if they got in the car or were covered by it going out the back of the lot.

Of course as this is going down, I am thinking great, I just left my blankity-blank Glock in my car 100 feet away. Thankfully she took the hint and left.

Could have just been trying to solicit you for something.. but wearing a hoodie? I would agree caution was the wisest choice. TSA may not be allowed to profile people, but we can. To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    mano3, bigmacque and jem102 like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    in a car we try to avoid surprises from the rear end by glancing in our mirrors

on foot we can accomplish the same with glances over our shoulder. the goal is to not have people come up from behind or "pop out of thin air"
    how you reacted was good but that she could get within 20 feet of you is not ideal.
    SA happens with practice over time; for most it takes 6 months to a year for it to be up & running reliably.

and like defensive driving, awareness and the what-if game, in a moment of need, because you have pre-thought so many situations--
    your subconscious kicks in to help you. being prepared and calm ( sounds like you were) may keep a surprise from becoming a crisis.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

It sounds to me like perhaps they were pasing out fliers to a sale/party, fund raiser, etc. since you said they appeared to have papers in their hand. Perhaps it was a missing child poster, who knows. You are not obligated to engage them. It could just has easily been an "interview" technic to distract you while her accomplice snuck up behind you. You didn't mention where he was or where he came from after she broke off contact with you. Was he hiding, or a greater distance away but visible when she was approaching you?

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    Haha, wow, I guess my $80 Hurley skateboarding hoodie makes me a cri cri criminal, I'm glad some person on the internet has pointed that out for me so I don't get profiled.

At the initial contact I am wondering why you got so...nervous, defensive? A young female with a hoodie saying "excuse me sir" would not set off alarms in my head initially. Sounds like you had a clear view of the are. You did not see anyone else. And wasn't cold in NC at the time? Half the kids at high school this morning were wearing hoodies. I guess I am missing something. It sounds like a common event that happens everyday. I think it was an over reaction.
    Now, it sounds fishy after, but does not explain why you were suspicious. But then again, if it was a set up, they seemed non chalant about it after.
    Anyway, regardless, you are safe whether there was a threat or not.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Half the kids at high school this morning were wearing hoodies. I guess I am missing something. It sounds like a common event that happens everyday.
    Now
    Watch out man, all criminals didn't you hear? probably packing sideways gangsta Glocks too.

VIP Member
    Better safe than sorry and especially suspicious is the little hobo huttle after her approach. Good job, OP. My greatest concern is for your leaving an unattended Glock in your car all day. Any security measures, comments?
    ep1953, jem102 and Moga like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Could have just been trying to solicit you for something.. but wearing a hoodie? I would agree caution was the wisest choice. TSA may not be allowed to profile people, but we can. To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    Whoa now I dont wear a hoodie and I still look like a criminal :o lol
    Glad you were safe through this whole ordeal man.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    At the initial contact I am wondering why you got so...nervous, defensive? A young female with a hoodie saying "excuse me sir" would not set off alarms in my head initially. Sounds like you had a clear view of the are. You did not see anyone else. And wasn't cold in NC at the time? Half the kids at high school this morning were wearing hoodies. I guess I am missing something. It sounds like a common event that happens everyday. I think it was an over reaction.
    Now, it sounds fishy after, but does not explain why you were suspicious. But then again, if it was a set up, they seemed non chalant about it after.
    Anyway, regardless, you are safe whether there was a threat or not.
    There wasn't anything obviously suspicious about her. The hoodie was normal attire for the weather, but I admit I did profile because of it. My reaction was more of a I am not going to allow myself to be approached by an unknown solicitor in public. As I understand it, many SD situations starts with the proverbial 'hey man, can I have a dollar'. I don't plan to let that happen and don't plan to let them get that close. Is it being unfriendly? Yes, but I don't really care.

What really surprised me was how the mental planning of how to handle an approach became an automatic reaction. It wasn't in response to her appearance or action, just the unexpected approach. It is a distinct change from before where I would have listened to her spiel and started insisting that I wasn't interested. I would have not used a gesture barrier and I would have likely turned fully towards her.

I am not sure where the guy was when this transpired. I was already on the bus and she was halfway across the lot when he appeared from the building area to the left. I don't think he was near us when this occurred based on the distance and direction he approached from, but I don't know exactly where he was.

I agree that they were probably passing out info for something, but for what I don't really care. Also, why did they then leave instead of soliciting others? Unless my reaction dampened their spirit?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I hate it when that happens.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Better safe than sorry and especially suspicious is the little hobo huttle after her approach. Good job, OP. My greatest concern is for your leaving an unattended Glock in your car all day. Any security measures, comments?
    I am a little concerned about that too. I don't like it, but don't see any good alternatives. Bringing it on campus, even locked in a car is a felony. Stupid. I have a long drive, about 50 miles each way and prefer to have it where I can. At least if it gets stolen there, I can report it stolen and don't have the bigger campus issue. Stupid antis are more scared of someone with a permit than they are of a gun getting in the hands of a criminal.

My wife suggests taking the magazine, but this would leave one in the chamber still. With $1 SD bullets I don't want to eject and re-chamber them more than I have to. Any suggestions in this regard? A good lock box will slow them down, but probably won't stop them. Fortunately car theft is pretty low occurrence there. I also play the out of sight out of mind card too, and don't visibly arm/disarm.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    To me hoodie=criminal or criminal in the making.
    I'm about as non-politically correct a person can get, but hoodie = criminal just doesn't make sense to me. A large portion of the populace wears hoodies, so I would say that you can profile a person by the total outfits they are wearing, maybe even the type of hoodie they are wearing, but not just that they are wearing a hoodie. That's just me though! I'm wearing a hoodie in my profile picture, do I look like a criminal?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I'm about as non-politically correct a person can get, but hoodie = criminal just doesn't make sense to me. A large portion of the populace wears hoodies, so I would say that you can profile a person by the total outfits they are wearing, maybe even the type of hoodie they are wearing, but not just that they are wearing a hoodie. That's just me though! I'm wearing a hoodie in my profile picture, do I look like a criminal?
    Proper use of profiling it a valuable tool. Its an art not a perfect science. The fact that a person is wearing a hoodie, bandanna or even say a jacket with some clubs patches on it would not on its own alarm me. It might get my attention however. Then I would look for other signs that in combination with the hoodie might lead me to believe I could be in danger.
    PC will get you killed if it causes you to ignore whats going on around you.

Michael
    wmhawth and Max Well like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    There wasn't anything obviously suspicious about her. The hoodie was normal attire for the weather, but I admit I did profile because of it. My reaction was more of a I am not going to allow myself to be approached by an unknown solicitor in public. As I understand it, many SD situations starts with the proverbial 'hey man, can I have a dollar'. I don't plan to let that happen and don't plan to let them get that close. Is it being unfriendly? Yes, but I don't really care.

What really surprised me was how the mental planning of how to handle an approach became an automatic reaction. It wasn't in response to her appearance or action, just the unexpected approach. It is a distinct change from before where I would have listened to her spiel and started insisting that I wasn't interested. I would have not used a gesture barrier and I would have likely turned fully towards her.
    I still don't get it. You said she wasn't suspicous and yet you reacted defensively. Well, if that is how you are, that iis how you are. What ever makes ya feel safe is the important thing.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links