Would You Pull Over for and Unmarked Pick Up Truck?

This is a discussion on Would You Pull Over for and Unmarked Pick Up Truck? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight on my way home, I saw something that I have never seen before in my life. I saw a black pick up truck with ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Would You Pull Over for and Unmarked Pick Up Truck?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Would You Pull Over for and Unmarked Pick Up Truck?

Tonight on my way home, I saw something that I have never seen before in my life. I saw a black pick up truck with blue lights flashing on top. It had a car pulled over and getting out of it was a man wearing a Carhartt coat and blue jeans. Mind you, I saw all of this in the dark so its possible the truck was marked but at the same time, I didn't see any distinguishing markings as I drove by. From what I could tell, the man was not dressed in anything that even resembled a uniform. I did see him look down and flash a light at the license plate as he was walking up to the car so it was probably a legitimate stop - I hope it was, etc.

As I drove by, I thought to myself at how uncomfortable I would be if this happened to me. To be honest, I would be somewhat tempted to not even pull over. I mean, would it really be that hard to obtain blue lights and impersonate an officer? The more I thought about it, I thought knowing me, I'm sure I would pull over but would be uneasy about it just the same.

What would you do and what would you think if this happened to you? I know there are unmarked cars so I don't think as much about it whenever I see one with lights flashing on the dash but I'm not used to seeing a pick-up with lights. I suppose its the changing times and I need to get over it? Perhaps I need to update my stereotypes? Is it common for off-duty LEO to have lights on their personal vehicles and pull people over when off-duty?

Thanks for your input,
    DCG

2. Remove Ads

"[Is it common for off-duty LEO to have lights on their personal vehicles and pull people over when off-duty]"

NO, Not in my neck of the woods. I'm not saying he was'nt a lawman But you never know JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

i actually own a pick up, that was previously owned by a local LEO. the Wireing is disconnected but still there from where he had lights on it. there are mounts but no lights on the grill, and the bed cap, had a weird wiring device to the break light on that, and after market brake lights on the truck itself. i traced the wires back to where the "switch" used to be. which was right next to where he had his radio installed.

On a seperate note a lady here in Milwaukee was pulled over by an off duty LEO. I think he just flashed his badge, not sure if he had lights, as i was unable to find the complete story…. hope that helps
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    If you're unsure, and feel unsafe, call the police department and find out if there really is an officer in your area. Slow down, turn on your hazard lights, and just be on the phone with a dispatcher who can tell you whether it is an officer behind you or you need to get out of there fast.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I know some people who have blues in their vehicle for some lesser LE functions, but not traffic stops. If I was in a situation where I had blue blinky lights in my mirrors I would be pulling over. If it's a sick joke, I will have my CC handgun if it goes downhill, etc. I'm not going to ignore blues because I think they're bogus. Odds are I'll be in jail if that's the case. JMO.
    Thunder71 and PatAz like this.

I'd not pull over unless I was convinced it was a LEO.. Probably drive to the most public spot I could. We have fire police here who love playing cop. Heck anyone could put lights on a vehicle. Not enough for me. I have heard of people being stopped elsewhere by plainclothes cops in unmarked vehicle who flashed their badge. Again not good enough for me either...
    tcox4freedom, Hieny and Spade115 like this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

DC
    Impersonating Police Officers is not rare. There was a case of this close to me over this past summer.

Suffolk man accused of impersonating police officer | News | Suffolk News

20 Most Ridiculous Police Impersonators - PoliceLink

I think I'd only get paranoid about being pulled if it was an odd looking car and on a desolate back road, which isn't likely in my case.

VIP Member
    Ohio LEOs don't do traffic stops in unmarked vehicles, so no, I'm not pulling over for a pick-up with flashing blue lights.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    If you're unsure, and feel unsafe, call the police department and find out if there really is an officer in your area. Slow down, turn on your hazard lights, and just be on the phone with a dispatcher who can tell you whether it is an officer behind you or you need to get out of there fast.
    I just called the police in the town this happened in and the lady I talked with gave me the same kind of advice. She said that she would not pull over and would call 911. She said that she thought she had heard before that the proper thing to do is to put your flashers on. I told her that I wouldn't want to give the impression that I'm eluding. She said that if I called the police and told them I was concerned about it being a legitimate stop that I could tell the officer that I talked to which ever dispatch and they could verify the call, etc.

Unmarked car, no uniform..... chances are someone is getting shot.

The only place I've seen official blue lights is Chicago PD.

A very difficult question.

Both NC and VA state troopers have lots of unmarked cars but I can't remember ever seeing one do a traffic stop at night.

So do many of the city cops in NC. Greensboro has SUV's, pick up trucks, etc., of all hues and colours in addition unmarked cars.

But the officers are in uniform.

Again I have never seen them make a stop at night.

I have seen them back up a marked car.

The advice given here by most departments is to slow down so there is no indication of trying to run, turn on blinkers and proceed to a lighted and populated area.

And getting on 911 is a great way to protect your safety and defend yourself against both bad guys and an overly aggressive cop who might accuse you of running.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    On a seperate note a lady here in Milwaukee was pulled over by an off duty LEO. I think he just flashed his badge, not sure if he had lights, as i was unable to find the complete story…. hope that helps
    That was the Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke. Some woman was driving like a nob and flipped him off... so he pulled her over.
    http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/art...f-sheriff.html
    H&K USP .45, Taurus PT100 .40, Nambu Type 14 8mm, Browning HP 9mm,
    Desert Eagle .50, Makarov .380, Walther PK380

Hwy Patrol drives trucks, SUV"s, Dodge Chargers.... etc. So, if I was out on the Hwy , it "may" be legite. However, the county and cities have marked cars that are all the same and all officers who will pull you over are uniformed.

We've had people impersonating officers pulling women over, and it's been a concern. I met one , one day. I had a car problem and a guy pulled over (couldn't see me but saw my wife). Once he saw me ... he seemed to get nervous which made me suspicious and I looked at his tag, and it wasn't right and noted the number. He quickly left... which is unusual for a vehicle in distress on the highway... they will stay with you.

Then a Hwy Patrolman pulled up.... and I asked him about the vehicle, etc. lack of some markings and the tag, and he instantly wanted to know anything we could tell him and made some calls real quick. It was confirmed no County officer was in that area or near that area, and he was fake. Gave him a description and tag # , and he loved that we had gotten the tag #. A guy with that vehicle description , etc. had been pulling woman over and raping them, while impersonating an officer. There were soon Hwy Patrol and County Deputies searching all over the area for this guy.

The tag # , got him. They went to his house and found the vehicle and arrested him.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Every so often you hear about impersonators stopping people. Usually it is women to rape, or trying to shake down drivers by offering to let them off for $100. Every time this comes up the news has a cop on that tells you if you think something is off don't stop, call 911 and they will contact the officer and confirm it is legit. There should be no confusion as the dispatcher will usually talk directly to the cop in the car to confirm so he knows why you are not stopping. Several LEO friends have told me this happens from time to time especially after the news stories. They tell me that they talk to the driver and be sure that they know they did the absolute right thing.
    tcox4freedom and kerberos like this.

I was watching one of those "cop" shows awhile back, and I think they were in Pittsburgh, PA. The cops were wearing team jerseys, jeans and badges on chains around their necks, they also looked slovenly and unkempt...narcos, I'm sure, but I wouldn't have stopped for 'em when they pulled alongside my car and waved me over...course I wouldn't have been in that neighborhood in the first place, unless I was lost, in which case they looked more like muggers than cops and I still wouldn't of stopped. You want to go around stopping citizens for infractions, you need a marked unit and a uniformed officer...JMO.
    tcox4freedom and BkCo1 like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links