Potential Moving Robbery (Made me rethink OC'ing)

This is a discussion on Potential Moving Robbery (Made me rethink OC'ing) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum, but I felt like sharing a story that happened to me yesterday in hopes of getting some feedback/constructive ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Potential Moving Robbery (Made me rethink OC'ing)

Potential Moving Robbery (Made me rethink OC'ing)

Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum, but I felt like sharing a story that happened to me yesterday in hopes of getting some feedback/constructive criticism/etc. Sort of a "What would you do?" thing.

This past weekend I was moving from my old apartment to my new apartment. I had a buddy of mine help me out and we rented a U-Haul (wanted to go the cheap route by doing it ourselves). My old apartment is in a not-so-great part of town (part of the reason I decided to move), but we figured the only time we needed to exercise caution was when we moved my flat screen TV, as it was the only thing of serious value we were moving that day.

So, we were both going in and out at the same time carrying the larger furniture, and on our way out the front door during one of our trips, I noticed this beat-up van with dark tinted windows drive by, slow down noticeably, then continue on. The next time we came out the door, the van was suddenly parked at the exit of the parking lot, just idling there, which seemed somewhat strange, but I didn't think too much of it. We continued on and went back inside.

Next we came out with the TV (which is a rather insanely heavy 42 inch flat screen) and loaded it carefully into the trailer and wrapped it in moving pads. We went back in to grab my desk, and as we came out that time, the trunk to the van was open, and two men were starting to get out of the van. These guys were covered in tattoos (I have nothing against tattoos as I have 5 myself), but these were not-so-friendly looking tattoos. They looked like some of the most unfriendly thugs I've ever seen. When they saw us coming out they started talking to each other (couldn't hear what they were saying as they were about 45 feet away) and one of them lit up a cigarette. It's then that I started to get pretty nervous, so I told my buddy (who is a rather large Marine who I personally wouldn't want to mess with if I didn't know him) to stay with the truck with his phone handy.

I went back inside calmly and removed my winter jacket that had been concealing my FNX-9 in its handy serpa holster (which I had modified to fit the gun) on my belt, this way the gun was in plain sight. This was my actual first time OC'ing. I grabbed a couple drawers from my dresser and came back out with the gun on my hip. As I came out the two men were in the process of slowly making their way toward the U-Haul. They saw me, and I made sure they saw my FN (I didn't unholster or brandish it, I just took a little extra care to make sure they noticed that I had a pistol on my hip.) They immediately ran back into their van and peeled out, burning rubber, flying into the street and speeding off. No threats, no verbal "he has a gun!", no nothing, they just fled and apparently changed their minds very quickly about whatever it is they were planning.

My buddy had written down the plate number to their van and we called the non-emergency line to the local PD and explained what had happened. I talked on the phone with an officer for a bit, and he told he'd put out an alert on that plate # and would let me know if they caught up with the van. He asked if we needed anybody sent over, but I said no, since we were already just about done with loading the truck and we were ready to head to the new place. He didn't seem to care too much about the fact that I was OC'ing, just told me that I should probably re-conceal it to avoid raising a panic.

Anyway, I apologize for the long, long story, I do tend to be pretty verbose. But this made me rethink open carry. I conceal carry as much as possible, but now I'm thinking that there may be certain times when OC is better suited for the situation. What would have had happened if they had no knowledge of the gun and tried to rob us or threaten us with some sort of weapon? I sure as heck would've fired if I felt my life threatened. I will never know what their intentions were, but had they in fact been bad, my open carrying could've prevented me having to draw my weapon (or in the worse case scenario, fire it).

Thoughts? What would you have done in my situation?
    jag06 likes this.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I think you handled it correctly. No doubt they were up to "no good".
    PatAz likes this.

You did well; welcome to the forum from SC!
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Glad it worked out well for you.

I think OC is a crap shoot, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

In your case the BG's got out of dodge and that is exactly what you wanted. The other scenario could have been that seeing your weapon they could plan their strategy and take you out first.

In most cases the BG's won't want to risk harm for a TV, but a whacked out crack head could do anything regardless of the logic or lack there of.

VIP Member
    Assuming that Open Carry is legal in OH, or legal in your own driveway in OH, you probably did well. They may have been after the truck instead of the TV. They didn't look and act that way for no reason at all.

"They looked like some of the most unfriendly thugs I've ever seen." You can't judge a book by the cover, but you can often if not always trust your intuition. They were giving off "bad vibes." It was more than how they looked.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Assuming that Open Carry is legal in OH, or legal in your own driveway in OH, you probably did well. They may have been after the truck instead of the TV. They didn't look and act that way for no reason at all.

"They looked like some of the most unfriendly thugs I've ever seen." You can't judge a book by the cover, but you can often if not always trust your intuition. They were giving off "bad vibes." It was more than how they looked.
    Open carry is legal in Ohio, even without a CCW, but as my CCW instructor told our class, "open carry with caution" -- which I firmly agree with, I'd be afraid to cause unwanted attention in most situations where I'd OC, but in this situation I thought it might benefit me.

As for the (possible) BG's, I suppose I should've elaborated more on why they seemed threatening. It wasn't necessarily JUST what they were wearing and that tattoos they had, it was their general demeanor. I also can't imagine that they did have an honest reason to approach us considering how they reacted to seeing my weapon on my hip and considering how they had the trunk to their van wide open and ready to go with nothing in it and the seats down. They actually sped off with the trunk still open. Good thing the TV wasn't in the back, otherwise it would've been a sad sight to see it flying out the back!
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    every one got to go home and eat dinner at their own home.

thats a good measure of success.

and welcome to DC
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Here, in my opinion, is an example of how OC may have helped head off a potentially bad situation.
    All's well that ends well.
    mlr1m and atctimmy like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Thank goodness you made it. Hope you realize how lucky you were. We all should be as aware as you. Good you notified the police. Welcome, we need more members like you.

Well done. Glad it worked in your favor. Seems to be a 50/50 spread of positive and negatives on OCing incidents. This time the good guys won. Wonder if CCing would have led to a confrontation and possible use of deadly force, so given the options this worked quite well.

Welcome to DC from So Cal, you will love it here. Glad to have you!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I think you did well. Good luck in your new digs. Hopefully, you'll be less likely to be so "proactive " in your new environs.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Seems to me that not only did you do the right thing, but you did all the right things: you achieved your goal in a nonconfrontational way, you involved the police in a constructive way, no one got hurt, and no crimes were committed. Glad everything worked out.
    Dadsnugun, ep1953 and Paymeister like this.

Turned out well,here in Tx you can OC on your own property/place of business,I stay concealed,unless I'm working on something and my cover garment rides up.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wow,when you introduce yourself you let it fly,great job,welcome!

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Welcome from SC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links