Robbery with fake gun

Robbery with fake gun

This is a discussion on Robbery with fake gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A recent 'good guy wins' type post of someone who was robbed in a parking lot somehow struck a thought with me as I entered ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Robbery with fake gun

Robbery with fake gun

A recent 'good guy wins' type post of someone who was robbed in a parking lot somehow struck a thought with me as I entered my car at the grocery store parking lot last night...

You just put your groceries in your trunk, you are just about to enter your driver door as someone pops out with a gun in their hand pointed at you. In a flash you realized it's a toy gun, how do you proceed?

I had a gut answer, then thought about it more and questioned it and am more back to my gut answer again. Just curious what everyone else things too

Hard question to answer. I never really thought about it. Even if I knew 100% that it was a fake gun, I still have a guy who is trying to rob me and that requires some kind of response. If I call his bluff on the gun, he may have a knife or may physically assault me. Chances are I'd still draw my weapon.
    Spade115 and The Old Anglo like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

you pistol whip them with a real gun

edit: just hope this don't happen
    Pistol-Whipped and KTFO - YouTube

VIP Member
    If someone threatens to kill me and presents what could pass for a gun, I'll likely take their word for it and act accordingly. I'm not willing to take the risk that my assessment of their weapon may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Hard question to answer. I never really thought about it. Even if I knew 100% that it was a fake gun, I still have a guy who is trying to rob me and that requires some kind of response. If I call his bluff on the gun, he may have a knife or may physically assault me. Chances are I'd still draw my weapon.
    I would think that a person who would choose a toy gun to rob me with might possibly be mentally unstable and therefore more dangerous than a normal person. I believe that a reasonable person would have to assume that if a person attempts to rob you he has no regard for your life. That you are in extreme danger.

Michael

Give him what he wants, what if it was a solid pink gun, but he painted it with cerakote, you never know. And if you take a chance and draw your weapon there will be absolutely no doubt that your draw is slower than his trigger pull, and as a result you get shot and killed over something that can be replaced. To stay on topic though, and if it were a perfect world and I knew it was a fake gun, I would still present my weapon and call the police.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Stat alert! -- It won't happen

VIP Member
    I'd give him my fake wallet.
    mlr1m, Tzadik and 9MMare like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by larrylandon View Post
    Stat alert! -- It won't happen
    Being alert will only make your prepared when it does happen. It will not prevent what other people might attempt to do.

Michael

Time to play devils advocate, I hate doing this but "prepare for the worst, hope for the best." Is there really a justified threat? If you look at the post i put up (search on DC : "wow NY turns on NYPD") a cop shoots a guy with a bat who supposedly hit his father, the report said. And the cop is doing 20-life. Another DC member posted that he is a NY LEO, in his post he said he knew the story, and he believed it was legit SD. He further said that the DA who pushed it, was out to make a name for herself and now hosts a court tv program or something.

My point is that, although what you saw and thought was a weapon and took action, a DA might see that as an an opening to make something of them. A nother good question, if a person robs a place with a toy gun, is it armed robbery? If so well them maybe you could be justified in SD. Personally this is a tough one.

My thought is give them what they want, fake wallet, if they go to get it and stop looking i draw. If i identified they toy an am 100% positive, i wait, if at anypoint there is doubt in my mind, as it isnt made of plastic, i fire. But way too much speculation, i will have to ponder and reanswer the, what would i do?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Time to play devils advocate, I hate doing this but "prepare for the worst, hope for the best." Is there really a justified threat? If you look at the post i put up (search on DC : "wow NY turns on NYPD") a cop shoots a guy with a bat who supposedly hit his father, the report said. And the cop is doing 20-life. Another DC member posted that he is a NY LEO, in his post he said he knew the story, and he believed it was legit SD. He further said that the DA who pushed it, was out to make a name for herself and now hosts a court tv program or something.

My point is that, although what you saw and thought was a weapon and took action, a DA might see that as an an opening to make something of them. A nother good question, if a person robs a place with a toy gun, is it armed robbery? If so well them maybe you could be justified in SD. Personally this is a tough one.

My thought is give them what they want, fake wallet, if they go to get it and stop looking i draw. If i identified they toy an am 100% positive, i wait, if at anypoint there is doubt in my mind, as it isnt made of plastic, i fire. But way too much speculation, i will have to ponder and reanswer the, what would i do?
    I can see your point. However the EX LEO is a resident of NY. I really do not think that his situation applys to most of the country. If I saw that it was a toy gun, I would kick him in the jewels. Call the PD and be done with this POS.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post

Yup. That was NY. Things are done a little differently down south.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Yup. That was NY. Things are done a little differently down south.
    Amen
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Pull a Bugs Bunny and stick you finger in the barrel?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here in FL cops shoot people pointing toy guns. So why can't I? Show me yours and I'll show you mine; and it's bigger and real!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links