Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW? - Page 3

Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW?

This is a discussion on Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 OK. Here's my opinion. From what I can tell from a quick google search, open carry is allowed in Louisiana. So. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    OK. Here's my opinion. From what I can tell from a quick google search, open carry is allowed in Louisiana. So. I suppose a lot of it depends on how you go about "showing" your firearm. If you were just wearing a jacket over your firearm, and just decided to remove your jacket because you "suddenly felt warm" and the bad guy (or questionably bad guy) happened to just see the firearm. You could probably get away with that. However, if you had it under a tucked in shirt and you went out of your way to expose it, then could be interpreted as brandishing. If you had it in a bag, and pulled it out, definitely brandishing. If you had it in your pocket and pulled it out, definitely brandishing.

Here in Texas, there is virtually no way for me to show a gun to a potential bad guy unless the situation is bad enough to warrant "threat of deadly force" which means I would be justified in brandishing my weapon.
    I have to agree with Adric on this one. In a state that allows open carry, if you expose your gun while holstered, you probably couldn't be charged with anything. HOWEVER, as stated earlier in this thread, when you introduce a firearm to a situation in which you think could be escalating into a deadly force situation, you might be the one escalating the situation to deadly force. IE bad guy has no idea you are armed, you show him that you are armed, he shoots you on the spot because he feels you were a bigger threat than once thought. Looks like most people are agreeing with this scenario.

Personally, I would choose to never expose my firearm to de-escalate a situation. Typing this line just makes it sound like a huge double negative. I vote to only show it when you are using it.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Example: Attacked by a person with a knife. Your unable to outrun the attacker because of a health issue ( on crutches maybe?). You are however able to get an object between you and him like a table, but he blocks the
    path to the only exit. If you are in fear for your life and he is actually threating to kill you MAYBE telling him to back off and revealing the gun would get him to leave. Since you would be justified in drawing if he comes around the table then you might be OK to show the gun. I don't think an LEO would question why you showed it, but didn't use it. I could be wrong.
    Umm... A knife is a deadly weapon. This is a justified situation. You can draw and shoot. If you draw and he doesn't immediately high tail it out of there, I would recommend doing just that.

Not in the State of Ohio. Draw and use it or keep it concealed.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by toytruckman View Post
    No No... I work with several people the have said they would think to "show" their CCW to defuse. It was more of a curiosuity to see what most think. Trust me I take this very serious and I catch the drift of what is being said.
    The people you work with opinions will get you arrested.Unless you feel that your life is in danger stay concealed.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to show your CCW... the precise moment you pull it to kill an assailant.

Anything else is gambling with your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey toy: Aside from the comments you have already received concerning state law and the term brandishing, let me mention a situation that happened on christmas eve in 2010 in Bluffton SC. Without all the details, an individual opened his jacket to show someone he was having an argument with the gun he had in his waistband. The guy who opened his jacket is now dead and the other guy will be tried shortly on manslaughter. The point is not what happened overall, the point is that you "show your CCW", you are now the person causing someone to think imminent danger and you can die. THAT ALONE SHOULD TELL YOU IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA regardless of state law or definitions of brandishing. Presumption of imminent danger of death or great bodily injury is the precursor and only precursor that truly makes sense, and if it ends well with the danger slinking away as you were prepared to discharge your firearm--that is not brandishing, it is a smart decision by a stupid BG.
    Good post and so true, however another CLEAR learning example is if you have a gun (CC orOC) and you get stuck in an arguement, and the guy flashes, be smart you dont need to be the bigger man be the smarter. Walk away and even call the police, cause what he did was a "silent threat" although dont know the details of the argument, reguardless, what ge did was wrong... dont be big, be smart!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Is it ever Ok to "just show" your CCW???? NO...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

If you do not feel you are in the immediate need of using the gun, then you shouldn't be doing anything with it other than leaving it in the holster and concealed. AS already said, anything else will more likely end you up in jail and in need of a good attorney.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
    Not in the State of Ohio. Draw and use it or keep it concealed.
    One of the States bordering me had a similar law on the books. It was repealed after a person was convicted for not shooting another person. He had brandished his weapon in response to a threat. The threat disappeared so he did not shoot. The Court said he was required to shoot even if the threat no longer existed once he drew his weapon.

You State sounds like it must have a similar law. The simple remedy would be to not brandish your weapon. Or, once having drawn it shoot the BG enen though he has ceased the attack and is on his knees begging for mercy.
    Strange laws are on the books in many States.

Michael

Forget the gun, let the idiot barge through and ignore him...not your problem.
    Someone cutting in front of you is not worth getting angry (openly) over...let it go.
    Olduser likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1. Give them a hard, no nosense, "Don't MESS with me stare". This may discourage someone from even starting to approach you. It could also been seen as a challenge to the other guy, as inhim asking, "What are you looking at?" It's kind of a crap shoot.
    I have wondered about this as well. Normally I'm a very timid person, for anyone who knows me. I was the kid in school who never spoke to anyone unless I was spoken to. However, I learned later in life that it is best to project an image of high self confidence most of the time in public. The way I see it, with any luck that will prevent me from being targeted to begin with. But if I am, then I always have the option to return to a more apologetic demeanor as a means to de-escalate. I've actually done this once, which I posted about on her some time ago. It worked. It saved me from having to shoot 4 thugs who were threatening bodily injury to me and my wife. In the end, it was worth sacrificing some pride.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I've recently learned your firearm should never see daylight unless you OC or intend to use it. Sometimes what you think could diffuse a situation could possibly ignite it.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum: Along with everybody else: you do not, EVER, bluff with a firearm. You only pull it out when it absolutely NEEDS to be used. If the BG (Bad Guy) backs down, you do not have to shoot, but you'd better be dialing 911 faster than the speed of light.

Also, in the scenario you posted, just for discussion sake, let's assume that the big guy decided he wanted to become aggressive towards you, and he was big enough & mean enough to make you seriously concerned and feeling threatened for your safety---don't forget to be creative--if you can't talk him down, hose him down--your son had ahold of the gas pump--give him a 2 second burst of gasoline from the hose. If he then wants to continue being aggressive, ask him if he would like a light as you put your hand in your pocket? (this sounds good, but there are probably a dozen reasons that this is in reality a bad idea.....)
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    "You show me yours, I'll show you mine."

You never know if the guy likes to play rough.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I agree showing the gun for intimidation is NOT the way to go, that being said, I think there is a case to be made for stopping short of the draw, provided the situation meets the requirements that would support drawing and shooting, but having enough time to stop before the draw.

Example: Attacked by a person with a knife. Your unable to outrun the attacker because of a health issue ( on crutches maybe?). You are however able to get an object between you and him like a table, but he blocks the
    path to the only exit. If you are in fear for your life and he is actually threating to kill you MAYBE telling him to back off and revealing the gun would get him to leave. Since you would be justified in drawing if he comes around the table then you might be OK to show the gun. I don't think an LEO would question why you showed it, but didn't use it. I could be wrong.
    If you are medically unable to defend/get away from the threat (your crutches for example) disparity of force would be 'in effect'. In SC, you have to be able to justify REASONABLE BELIEF of fear for your life/great bodily harm. 'He was chasing me and I FEARED FOR MY LIFE'- clean shoot as long as there is some proof.

I do have- at least temporarily- a physical disability (enough so that I can't really lift or stand for long periods of time). Depending on the rest of the circumstances, I would be justified in shooting most men that might threaten me. And I have papers from various doctors to prove it. But, the point is that any situation where you can prove a justifiable fear for your life, you can shoot.

Telling someone to back off and revealing a gun is one step away from shooting- if they don't IMMEDIATELY back down and start leaving, shoot. Once it gets to the point where you think 'if I show my gun they might leave', it's time to shoot.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links