Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW? - Page 4

Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW?

This is a discussion on Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by toytruckman No No... I work with several people the have said they would think to "show" their CCW to defuse. It was ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toytruckman View Post
    No No... I work with several people the have said they would think to "show" their CCW to defuse. It was more of a curiosuity to see what most think. Trust me I take this very serious and I catch the drift of what is being said.
    Toytruckman - welcome to the forum! You will find a wealth of information here, along with thousands of really knowledgeable, friendly and helpful people and one or two curmudgeons. You said, "It was more of a curiosity to see what most people think." I am telling you the truth that I have never, ever read a thread like this where 43 of 43 replies all agreed. I think you got your answer.

And just to add my voice: I agree, too. He was a jerk, but knowing what I know of human nature (self-centered and short-sighted, for starters) I have to say that I'm kinda surprised it doesn't pop out more often. Go check out that nice end display at the back of the store again, and he'll be gone. You won! Kinda like tailgaters: pull over, and they're no longer bugging you. Sure, it takes another minute or two, but you saved yourself ALL SORTS of grief and trouble (think of how long booking, intial jail time, trial prep, court time, and incarceration would take). Be the man, here exemplified by walking away from a jerk, be a good example to your kids and the others standing around, use it as a lesson for your kids in how to avoid trouble.

And encourage your friends to grow up and do their homework. Might consider different friends, too: for darned sure don't go out drinking with them: I can hear them saying with a bit of a drunken slur, "Well, you're a _____ and my buddy here hash a pistol..."

Again, welcome!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Since Ohio is an open carry state, simply exposing a weapon should not lead to any charges. That being said, I carry concealed and would NOT expose a weapon unless I intended to use it. And I would only do that if I felt my life or the life of another was in imminent danger. I want the tactical advantage of the BG not knowing I am armed.

However, if you did choose to reveal your weapon, I would heed the advice of the above poster and call the police ASAP for the reasons he gives.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with open carry. You are purposely exposing a concealed weapon to intimidate. That is the crime of menacing, unless you have a damn good reason. They aren't the same thing at all.

It might go against the "manly" thing to do, but retreating to call the police is the best response, unless you are cornered. You had best be facing serious bodily harm to brandish.

(Sorry, not tryin to front you out!)
    shockwave and tcox4freedom like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It looks like the OP hasn't been back since about an hour after their original post, so our comments are probably falling on deaf ears, but here is a different approach to consider.

Person bulls his way in between people behind me and shelving units till he gets to where I am standing, he stops and tells me that I should go to the register on my right. I explain that there are two people in front of me and I am waiting my turn, he does not touch me because by this time I have moved to my left several feet
    When you have your CCW, you have undisclosed knowledge of the situation that this bull idiot doesn't; that being the power to use lethal force. Clearly the idiot was trying to intimidate you. Don't let him. Smile, politely wave your hand in a gesture indicating move forward, step back slightly, and say something to the effect of "Why don't you go right on ahead Sir". Note the difference in this type of response than moving over to the other line, which is that you are still in control of the situation and have effectively communicated it to this dolt, while not giving any cause for them to escalate their hostility. Remember that you have ultimate power in the situation and you are in control. Handled this way, there is no loss of status or loss of face for you and no pride for you to swallow. He will know that his blustering was not effective. If he is astute enough, he will be wondering why you reacted that way and it will discourage him from acting out as obviously you know something that he doesn't.
    9MMare and Paymeister like this.

VIP Member
    Seek training on your states use of force laws. In most states revealing your weapon in the situation you described will get you arrested for brandishing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with open carry. You are purposely exposing a concealed weapon to intimidate. That is the crime of menacing, unless you have a damn good reason. They aren't the same thing at all.

It might go against the "manly" thing to do, but retreating to call the police is the best response, unless you are cornered. You had best be facing serious bodily harm to brandish.

(Sorry, not tryin to front you out!)
    In Ohio, the charge is aggravated menacing. Here is a case in which the CHL holder was accused of pointing his pistol at someone, while maintaining that it never left his waistband. I couldn't find the outcome of the trial, but suffice to say, it caused him much more trouble than it was worth:Youngstown News, Trial set for man accused of pointing gun at coach
    Here is the court record from a friend of mine who held up a pistol while driving down the road during a road rage incident. He did not point it, merely held it up for display. This happened prior to CHL, and he spent several thousand dollars to get a few other charges dismissed and to stay out of jail: Information on criminal case number 9700854

Let's say in 20 years of being out and about, buying gas, this is the ONLY time you were sort of bullied around. Then why not, at the first sign of trouble, pack up and go somewhere else. It might be 20 more years before you'd have any kind of 'situation'.

WHY stay there and risk a big BIG problem? You should understand that removing yourself from the situation, TURNING OFF onto another road and detouring (if driving) are always options.

It's inconvenient you say? You don't like being bullied? How do you like being killed, shot, punched, put in jail?
    MadMac likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Ah, yes, the three rules to live by.

Don't go to stupid places.
    Don't hang around stupid people.
    Don't do stupid things.

Sounds easy enough, right? Haha, if only it were that easy. Still good to try your best to do these things.
    Paymeister likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    There is a fine line, as some have referred to or tend to say in when the presentation of a firearm is warranted. Having said that, there must be a "presumption by a reasonable person that they are in imminent danger of death or great bodily injury"---if that does not exist, you leave yourself open to arrest or your own death at the hands of the person YOU have now threatened for no "reasonable reason".

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    It looks like the OP hasn't been back since about an hour after their original post, so our comments are probably falling on deaf ears, but here is a different approach to consider.

When you have your CCW, you have undisclosed knowledge of the situation that this bull idiot doesn't; that being the power to use lethal force. Clearly the idiot was trying to intimidate you. Don't let him. Smile, politely wave your hand in a gesture indicating move forward, step back slightly, and say something to the effect of "Why don't you go right on ahead Sir". Note the difference in this type of response than moving over to the other line, which is that you are still in control of the situation and have effectively communicated it to this dolt, while not giving any cause for them to escalate their hostility. Remember that you have ultimate power in the situation and you are in control. Handled this way, there is no loss of status or loss of face for you and no pride for you to swallow. He will know that his blustering was not effective. If he is astute enough, he will be wondering why you reacted that way and it will discourage him from acting out as obviously you know something that he doesn't.
    Good post.

I'm always a little bit leery of first time posters when they start out this way. I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone trying to get dirt on all of the obviously crazy pro gun people & CCers. If that's the case hear you guys done good and hopefully the OP got a lesson on how responsible cc'ers can be.

If the OP is seriously trying to learn, then I also extend my welcome. He has received some real good advice here. It makes me proud to be associated with this forum.

-

Hm. Well assuming that was a real newbie, and not a troll from Sarah Brady...

Don't do that!

A brandishing or menacing charge would be very likely.
    And you'd deserve it.

Only time you need to show it is when you're pulling the trigger.

Also, who knows if the other guy was carrying or not? I'm telling you right now, if I was him and you flashed your gun, I would shoot you without hesitation.

Flashing your gun looks very similar to drawing it.

When my gun is concealed, it stays concealed and I act as if I don't have it until I have no choice except to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by BSK712 View Post
    Only time you need to show it is when you're pulling the trigger.

Also, who knows if the other guy was carrying or not? I'm telling you right now, if I was him and you flashed your gun, I would shoot you without hesitation.

Flashing your gun looks very similar to drawing it.

When my gun is concealed, it stays concealed and I act as if I don't have it until I have no choice except to shoot.
    Where I live it is legally the same thing. Both are considered brandishing. While brandishing in the act of self defense is legal here it would make no sense to me to do it with a holstered gun.

Michael

Why do trolls always have less than 5 post counts?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Why do trolls always have less than 5 post counts?
    Cuz we're smart and dont feed them enough to make more
    jerp likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Do many people know that you CCW?
    Wife; Son, both know i have got a permit..... Thats about it>>>>>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links