Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW?

This is a discussion on Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oakchas $20.00 give or take... plus shipping, from many Amazon book dealers. It is out of print. Should not be... but since ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Is ever ok to "just show" your CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    $20.00 give or take... plus shipping, from many Amazon book dealers. It is out of print. Should not be... but since it is 31 years old some of the information is out of date. It's not quite as old as The Bible... but certainly an equivalent for those of us who carry a gun.

Buy it: In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection By Massad Ayoob

Here's a link to the page on Amazon that has new and used copies. >>> Link<<<

In the end, yes IMO, there are times when you could expose a holstered weapon to defuse a situation before it happens... But not "pull." Once unholstered, you had better have a reasonable belief that you are in danger of death or grave bodily injury... (Texans, disregard) and be 110% prepared to use it... It should be an extremely rare occasion in which a firearm is unholstered and not fired at a BG. (not just rare for you, rare across the board of all Concealed Carriers.

Now, If LA is a state which allows open carry... you can go that route... But my cursory check of handgunlaw.com does not indicate it is an open carry state.

Welcome to the forum.
    Open carry Yes!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Why do trolls always have less than 5 post counts?
    Ok I'm not and don't really appreciate your comment. But thanks anyway.

Dave

And real thanks to all who had a serious answer for me. Again i'm really new to this and sometime's, most of the time it really scares the doo-doo out of me, and I think every one can see that I am carrying a gun. Remember I live in the New Orleans area, watch our news. They are killing at least one a day. And that's after most of the BG's left after Katrina. Which I stayed for.
    Anyway Sorry to Yankeejib for previous post (bad day).

Dave
    Last edited by toytruckman; January 27th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toytruckman View Post
    And real thanks to all who had a serious answer for me. Again i'm really new to this and sometime's, most of the time it really scares the doo-doo out of me, and I think every one can see that I am carrying a gun. Remember I live in the New Orleans area, watch our news. They are killing at least one a day. And that's after most of the BG's left after Katrina. Which I stayed for.
    Anyway Sorry to Yankeejib for previous post (bad day).

Dave
    It's a good crowd and no harm meant. Most here are opinionated (thus, our opinions), most are a bit ignerunt (except me, I'm brilliant all the time), and few have any idea who Emily Post was. But if you stick around you will learn a bit. Internet...gotta take the bad with the good.

Thanks.

Sorry Just spent 3K on new furniture... It's a wifey thing.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Intentionally "just showing" your weapon is called "brandishing" in many states and is highly illegal.
    If you were to lift your shirt tail to show a holstered firearm, would it be considered "brandishing"? If so, why would carrying openly be any different? I
    personally wouldn't do it, nor do I think it would have been appropriate in his situation. I'm just asking to educate myself.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinskin72 View Post
    If you were to lift your shirt tail to show a holstered firearm, would it be considered "brandishing"? If so, why would carrying openly be any different? I
    personally wouldn't do it, nor do I think it would have been appropriate in his situation. I'm just asking to educate myself.
    If it is done with the intent to threaten, intimidate or otherwise coerce, it would carry an aggravated menacing charge in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If it is done with the intent to threaten, intimidate or otherwise coerce, it would carry an aggravated menacing charge in Ohio.
    Thanks, I was just wondering.

So,,,,, just so all have some sort of idea what is our daily routine is, just on news; 27-days into new year-------23KIA.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BSK712 View Post
    Only time you need to show it is when you're pulling the trigger.

Also, who knows if the other guy was carrying or not? I'm telling you right now, if I was him and you flashed your gun, I would shoot you without hesitation.

Flashing your gun looks very similar to drawing it.

When my gun is concealed, it stays concealed and I act as if I don't have it until I have no choice except to shoot.
    I will add that my class instructor told us that even if the BG punched us in the face we should not consider that as a threat to our lives.
    I don't know if I care to become a punching bag and do know people can die from the mighty fist. just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by toytruckman View Post
    Wife; Son, both know i have got a permit..... Thats about it>>>>>
    OK, that's cool. So then your discussion with your co-workers was strictly hypothetical and they dont know.

That's smart.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    I will add that my class instructor told us that even if the BG punched us in the face we should not consider that as a threat to our lives.
    I don't know if I care to become a punching bag and do know people can die from the mighty fist. just food for thought.
    Mine said pretty much the same thing. All I could think about while he was saying this was if the guy is punching me in the face he will probably take my gun next. Of course he also told me that you could not legally brandish your weapon even though the law here says it is perfectly legal to do so in self defense.
    The instructors do make mistakes.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I don't know if I care to become a punching bag and do know people can die from the mighty fist. Just food for thought.
    Welcome to the great big quagmire of concealed carry. In most, if not all states, lethal force is only justified when one is threatened with death, crippling injury, or rape. To me, it is obvious that the intent was that one does not get into "just a fist fight" and respond with lethal force. It is my view that what this fails to adequately take into account is the unprovoked assault and even worse, the case of being set upon by a predator who has not shown lethal intent. The fact is that I have not been in a fist fight since elementary school and the chance of me going out and getting into one is zilch. The rule of stupids applies here. Having considered and discussed this conundrum for some time, the best answer that I have encountered is to have a non lethal defensive means of force, chemical or pepper spray being a solid choice. This gives you several advantages, not the least of which is should you have to deploy lethal force following the use of non lethal force that by you will have demonstrated your intentions to avoid it.

There is a lot to this subject, more than I can, or care to, try to explain in a forum post. This is why a common recommendation is to get the Ayoob book mentioned earlier as it goes into a lot more detail regarding how to determine when lethal force is justified, and perhaps more importantly articulate the why it was required.

VIP Member
    I have much more faith in my lawyer's powers of persuasion than I do in my CHL instructor's legal expertise.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links