Man Threatening Another With a Knife - Page 2

Man Threatening Another With a Knife

This is a discussion on Man Threatening Another With a Knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure about PA law. If you were smart you would stay inside and call 911.......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Man Threatening Another With a Knife

Not sure about PA law. If you were smart you would stay inside and call 911....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Call the police and continue to be a witness. Do not intervene. You are not LEO. Unless you are protecting yourself, or your family or an active shooter situation like a Columbine, you have no right or responsibility to intervene.

Don't take this the wrong way but your carry permit does not make you LEO, a super hero, or responsible for the world's problems.

You are much more likely to get yourself into trouble trying to "help" in this type of situation than you are to actually render aid.
    All_Business and msgt/ret like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Administrator
    and I've always been taught that its your duty to protect your family and self, as well as innocent civilians.

How can you be sure that either of those two are innocent civilians?

Maybe the guy with the knife is in reality the good guy and the supposed "victim" was the guy that just murdered the knife wielders entire family.

Now...if you saw some crazed guy about to bash in some little girls head with a crowbar after he just killed her Mother then that would be a pretty safe intervention on your part.

Unless you can be absolutely certain what sort of scenario in unfolding do not get involved.
    Crescentstar and RonCo like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I agree with most on here to stay inside and call 911. Now to touch on something that i havent seen mentioned. If you go out there, and those two team up and/or u kill one, and as an example they are in a gang and want to retaliate you just jeopardized your family and home....

Let the cops handle this and as a CCW, you are a citizen, so prove being a good one and showing that in court.

My $.02
    All_Business likes this.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    and I've always been taught that its your duty to protect your family and self, as well as innocent civilians.

How can you be sure that either of those two are innocent civilians?

Maybe the guy with the knife is in reality the good guy and the supposed "victim" was the guy that just murdered the knife wielders entire family.
    Gotta be honest I didn't think of that. Think im in definite need of a couple new resources, thanks for the help. Just really irritates me when people respond to threads like they are being personally insulted, and reply with insulting one liners instead of keeping their little fingers and immature comments to themselves. Thanks everyone...still open to criticism but I pretty much got the point.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    Gotta be honest I didn't think of that. Think im in definite need of a couple new resources, thanks for the help. Just really irritates me when people respond to threads like they are being personally insulted, and reply with insulting one liners instead of keeping their little fingers and immature comments to themselves. Thanks everyone...still open to criticism but I pretty much got the point.
    Hey, I found that personnaly insulting LOL.
    All_Business likes this.

hahaha, nice. Subliminally directed towards you but meant for all.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    To cover another aspect that I didn't see mentioned. What is the SD law in that area? If the 'victim' is in a car can he put the window up? Can he drive away? Does he have a duty to retreat and if so, are you even permitted to engage?

Often times these types of situations are not clear cut.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Same exact scenario only the guy is doing those same, odd jerking motions and he has a knife in his hand. He has not attempted to stab him but has made it pretty clear that he has lost his cool and his upcoming actions are very unpredictable. Am I justified in leaving my house, crossing the street and drawing my weapon, and possibly engaging himor should I have just called the police as soon as I saw the hypothetical knife, and waited for them to potentially not get there in time. I thought about this for awhile last night, did a little unsuccessful research, and still couldn't justify any particular action...What do you guys/gals think?

The place is Philadelphia, PA
    In the bolded section...NO

Call 911, be a good witness. Your permit does not give you special powers or authorities.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Guess you got your answer---a big fat NO. You are not Captain America nor the Green Hornet nor Marshall Dillon and this is for real, not in the comics or movies. In many states, however, including my state of SC, there is an alter ego rule, which allows you to act as if you are the person who is in imminent danger--problem is it was not your dog that was in the fight/altercation to begin with and you really have no idea, for sure, what is really going on. For this act of bravado you can end up dead or in jail, even though you THOUGHT you were doing the right thing.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Call 9-1-1 and get out your camcorder. If it gets really ugly the local news or CNN will pay for the footage.

Just because one is comfortable with the idea of inflicting necessary violence to protect the innocent does not mean everyone else is. Those people in the car could be radical pacifists that truly believe and are more than ready to die for their beliefs. Who are we to deny them that opportunity? And if we were to deny them that opportunity what do you think their testimony would be before the grand jury or at trial? Would they be expressing their gratitude or stating that you over reacted and escalated the situation and actually caused it to become physically violent? The guy with the knife was just letting off steam and was not really a threat to anyone. If you hadn't interfered they would have all sung Kum-by-yah, had a group hug and gone on their merry way.
    jerp likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Alright, so if im behind someone that starts shooting up a mall i'll just run away, since, well....technically IM not in danger?
    My first action will be to make myself as safe as possible. Period. Retreat, cover, call 911. It is possible that I could use my firearm to take down the shooter, however...how sure am I that the shooter is in the wrong? What if they are defending themselves against multiple attackers? Have you determined if they are wearing body armor? What about the crowd situation? How sure am I that it is safe for me to shoot at that distance?

I have no ethical or moral obligation to save others...and my gun by no means makes that more or less true. OTOH, there are many many ways to assist in situations (even those where there is shooting) that do not require firearms. I have responded in many accidents and events, long before I carried a gun, and was able to contribute.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Alright, so if im behind someone that starts shooting up a mall i'll just run away, since, well....technically IM not in danger?
    Pretty much. You are still protecting your family - they aren't going to be protected when you're in jail because you shot someone who was not threatening your life. And if you've been taught that your concealed carry license brings with it the responsibility to protect someone's life or property because the luck of the draw puts you into proximity of a crime in process, you've been taught wrong. Unless you have the training, the badge and are a sworn officer, you need to be a good witness. And in the case of a sworn officer, that's even open to discussion because the primary responsibility of the police is to investigate and not prevent crimes.
    MadMac likes this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

If you havent thought about making sure you've actually got the right guy in your sights, have you ever thought about the fact that when the cops do arrive, they will also have to make that determination? And you are in the middle of a fracas with a drawn gun and everyone around you screaming? Not only should you think about this, if you havent, but you should also think about what to do in that situation.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    My first action will be to make myself as safe as possible. Period. Retreat, cover, call 911. It is possible that I could use my firearm to take down the shooter, however...how sure am I that the shooter is in the wrong? What if they are defending themselves against multiple attackers? Have you determined if they are wearing body armor? What about the crowd situation? How sure am I that it is safe for me to shoot at that distance?
    I have no ethical or moral obligation to save others...and my gun by no means makes that more or less true. OTOH, there are many many ways to assist in situations (even those where there is shooting) that do not require firearms. I have responded in many accidents and events, long before I carried a gun, and was able to contribute.
    That all depends on ones situational awareness. If you are behind someone that has pulled out a gun and started shooting in a mall and you dont know why, you need to get off your iphone.

The moral and ethical obligation to help others is where the majority of the posters, and I differ. I 100% agree, a CCW does not make you superman, it doesn't make you an LEO, and it doesn't add inches to the male appendage. I know that if its a bar fight or most other types of quarrels to mind your own business and stay out of it. But one can't be blamed for wanting to help someone else, whether he be ignorant to the situation or not, and CCW or not. That said I learned that its pretty much imperative, majority of the time, to just call 911 and be a good witness. If that innocent or not innocent person is killed or not killed let it be on the GG conscience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links