Man Threatening Another With a Knife - Page 3

Man Threatening Another With a Knife

This is a discussion on Man Threatening Another With a Knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before someone misinterprets that I said "obligation" I know that this site is full of great people whom would love to help others...Im not saying ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Man Threatening Another With a Knife

Before someone misinterprets that I said "obligation" I know that this site is full of great people whom would love to help others...Im not saying that people on this forum would choose not to help others if they could.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    Before someone misinterprets that I said "obligation" I know that this site is full of great people whom would love to help others...Im not saying that people on this forum would choose not to help others if they could.
    Its not an obligation, its a choice. If some BG has a gun pointed at a clerk at a gas station saying im going to kill you, and isnt demanding money or merchandise, that is a good reason to believe he is going to kill the clerk. Its your choice to act. However using SA, there would still be MANY things to consider. But you have to make a choice, and remember you are not obligated to save the clerks life. One thing I personally would be obligated to do is be a good witness in that situation, if i choose to act or not is on me.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    That all depends on ones situational awareness. If you are behind someone that has pulled out a gun and started shooting in a mall and you dont know why, you need to get off your iphone.
    It was phrased as a question and you have written that you hadnt thought about that (if you were sure if it was actually the aggressor). I'm glad you are thinking about it now.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

If i may make a comment on this whole thread, I like how even though some make "mean" comments about this OP's post, we are taking him in and talking and giving pointers, and advice. As he is new, i think we all take care of one another here, and i appreciate it from all of you. Jts hard to find that, but clearly here its proven. Maybe instead of advising more pointers from here, as im sure he kinda gets our points, why not list additional books he could read? Just a suggestion, Principles of Personal Defense, by Jeff Cooper is one I will recommend
    All_Business likes this.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

and I've always been taught that its your duty to protect your family and self, as well as innocent civilians.
    You were taught proper morals. Whomever taught you this while well meaning forget to mention that you can go to jail for putting your morals to use in civilized society.

Michael
    jerp, mcp1810 and oakchas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    You were taught proper morals. Whomever taught you this while well meaning forget to mention that you can go to jail for putting your morals to use in civilized society.

Michael
    So true, and so so sad....

There is the rule called "standing in the shoes" ,,,, you would NOT
    be able to use deadly force because the person you are standing in the
    place for CAN NOT USE DEADLY FORCE and like pir8fan said "you don't know
    the entire situation, you could be setting yourself up for some serious liability".
    As far as you know they made be play acting. I would STAY OUT OF THIS.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    In Philly, I doubt the cops would think you're justified in doing anything with a gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Call 911, watch your own back, take mental notes...keep away from the problems.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    and I've always been taught that its your duty to protect your family and self, as well as innocent civilians.

How can you be sure that either of those two are innocent civilians?

Maybe the guy with the knife is in reality the good guy and the supposed "victim" was the guy that just murdered the knife wielders entire family.

Now...if you saw some crazed guy about to bash in some little girls head with a crowbar after he just killed her Mother then that would be a pretty safe intervention on your part.

Unless you can be absolutely certain what sort of scenario in unfolding do not get involved.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

You must be able to acertain, without a doubt, 100% who did what before intervening.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    My general rule is that I will not engage if my life or the lives of my loved ones are not in danger.

C'mon. Most of us are not trained in using the threat of deadly force to make people submit. As I have said before, I'm not a cop, but I'm pretty sure that when one becomes a cop, the other cops do more than just give him or her a gun and tell him or her to go out and serve and protect.

If I had the proper training, experience, was in the proper physical condition, etc., maybe. But there are some things we just should not do because we are not qualified. For me, that includes carpentry, root canals, and pointing guns at people and telling them to stop doing bad deeds.

Know yer limitations.

You could video tape the guy in the car , running over the guy with the knife, and testify it was self-defense at any hearings. If LEOS" get there before he acts, their dash cams will catch the events when he moves towards them with a knife in his hand and they shoot him.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sorry but I would help no matter what. At least let him know there are other people around watching. Not sure if I would confront him. It could be my son or daughter in that car and I would hope someone would help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Fun View Post
    Sorry but I would help no matter what. At least let him know there are other people around watching. Not sure if I would confront him. It could be my son or daughter in that car and I would hope someone would help them.
    It could also be Harry the Rapist, an arsonist, or a recreational pharmaceutical distributor who just sold that guy's kid some tainted goods, and he's called the police. You want to confront him with your gun and sort it all out?

Not me.

That's a job for a LEO - or Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    It could also be Harry the Rapist, an arsonist, or a recreational pharmaceutical distributor who just sold that guy's kid some tainted goods, and he's called the police. You want to confront him with your gun and sort it all out?

Not me.

That's a job for a LEO - or Batman.
    It's just how I feel,right or wrong.I do see your point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links