Man Threatening Another With a Knife - Page 4

Man Threatening Another With a Knife

This is a discussion on Man Threatening Another With a Knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I sound like some cold-hearted bastage, but I am also older and have a few decades of experience under my belt. The key ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Man Threatening Another With a Knife

I know I sound like some cold-hearted bastage, but I am also older and have a few decades of experience under my belt.

The key point here is that your gun gives you absolutely no special LEGAL powers you had before you started carrying a gun. If you wouldn't run across the street to break up an argument at a gas station before you had a gun, strapping one on and using it to do so now is likely not a good idea. In fact, you are in a far more dicey position as you could introduce lethal force into a situation you know nothing about, and be charged with a felony for your trouble. How well can you provide for and protect your family from prison?

If I wanted to be a cop, I would have gone to the academy and earned a badge.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

So, you run down there and approach the scene just as the guy with the knife gets the car door open. A second before he stabs the driver you draw and fire. The driver speeds off and the guy with the knife is now laying on the ground. He looks up at you and says "the kidnapper just got away with my daughter." Oops.

Just call the police, be a good witness, you don't know the details of what you're walking into.

IMO it's up to you for you are the one that has to deal with the aftermath. A cop you are not but under the laws of your state you might be able to help or not. In Texas you are able to aid in defense of a third person but are it worth the legal fallout if you do? Not knowing what itís all about it might be a good Idea to say out.

Just an FYI if you feel the need do something and have a ccw. go take the dog for a walk sometimes the presents of a witness will sometimes defuse the situation.
    All_Business likes this.

I did not say anything about using a firearm.I feel bad if all you have to use to defend yourself is a firearm.

I am done with this, have a good day.

Chris

I'm not sure how to go about including a link to a previous post, but back on Jan 5, Oakchas posted a link to a story under "This is why". It was a story about a former cop who saw two people struggling for a gun after a robbery. The retired cop, being a "good citizen" got involved and shot and killed who he thought was the bad guy. Turns out, the guy he shot was an agent in plain clothes. Another "cop"! That story points out perfectly why you should call 911 and be a good witness! Unless you know "the whole story", don't go rushing in to save someone! You just may shoot the wrong person!

I carry a gun to protect my life and the lives of my loved ones. Period. Would I ever get involved to "save" someone else? Possibly--but ONLY if I know all the facts involved in the situation. And knowing all the facts in any given situation is probably pretty rare! Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    My first rule of thumb is anybody who looks even remotely like the below folks, gets no help from me whatsoever:
    Attached Images
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Why would you run out of your house? Call 911, let them handle it. The only way I am getting involved in this situation is if I KNOW the "victim" in question and I KNOW they are innocent. Key word being KNOW. You would probably not confront a man threatening someone with a knife before you got your CCW, don't do it now unless you are being threatened. Walking out to confront the guy with a knife and shooting him will probably land you in jail for at least 24-48 hours. Thus leaving your family to make due for at minimum a few days without you and your income. Your priority should be in this order. Family, you, friends, random strangers. You would be putting yourself and your family in way too much risk in this situation. Stay home, call 911, go about your business.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Related to the OP's original scenario - I read a lot of posts from people that, now that they carry, feel as though they have a responsibility to protect the general public.

For those of you that feel that way, you don't. And if you feel a calling or a need to help others in that manner, then go all in and do it right - try to earn the badge. Otherwise, stay put, especially if you don't have the training to handle violent situations (and most of us don't).

(Yeah, there are exceptions to the rule, don't bother....)
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    Last night I saw this guy at a gas station from my window screaming at one of his buddies in a car. That offender was outside of the car standing...the offended was in the car. There was no physical contact but he was physically threatining in a way..like..kind of jerking his body toward the other person like he was going to hit them. This continued for about 15-20 minutes. Now that much actually happened, here is this hypothetical...

Same exact scenario only the guy is doing those same, odd jerking motions and he has a knife in his hand. He has not attempted to stab him but has made it pretty clear that he has lost his cool and his upcoming actions are very unpredictable. Am I justified in leaving my house, crossing the street and drawing my weapon, and possibly engaging him, or should I have just called the police as soon as I saw the hypothetical knife, and waited for them to potentially not get there in time. I thought about this for awhile last night, did a little unsuccessful research, and still couldn't justify any particular action...What do you guys/gals think?

The place is Philadelphia, PA
    Just an example of the laws in MI...

You are justified in using deadly or other than deadly force to protect another person...

UNLESS....

The person you think you are protecting actually instigated the confrontation or was the initial aggressor. So unless you know for sure the person you think you are protecting did not start the altercation 10 hours ago, your best recourse is to call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    IMO it's up to you for you are the one that has to deal with the aftermath. A cop you are not but under the laws of your state you might be able to help or not. In Texas you are able to aid in defense of a third person but are it worth the legal fallout if you do? Not knowing what it’s all about it might be a good Idea to say out.

Just an FYI if you feel the need do something and have a ccw. go take the dog for a walk sometimes the presents of a witness will sometimes defuse the situation.
    Really insightful man, thanks. I love walking casey (my dog) what a coincidence
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Also, I think this post is giving people the wrong impression of me. Though I am less experienced and more immature than most of the older fellas on here, I'm not irresponsible and Im not some gun nut that runs around the streets, strapped looking for people to save.

It was a scenario I wanted to share but most people took it and ran with it, I know it's not the movies, guys. Some were very helpful and I greatly appreciate it, please keep posting helpful, insightful replies. Thanks to everyone whose head and ego are not filled with air.
    Last edited by All_Business; January 27th, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Hello All_Business. It's good that you are thinking about scenarios like this one and that you are getting good information before you are ever caught up in anything like this. Hopefully you never will. I also think about "what if's" and what would I do. I live in KY which is fairly pro-gun, but one fact that I didn't see mentioned so far was legal dealings. Always be prepared to have legal charges filed anytime you feel it necessary to pull your weapon, whether you fire it or not. Even if justified, you could find yourself tied up in legal allegations which could be very costly. Search the Internet and read some of these stories. Some people have lost everything they owned just because they were doing what they "thought" was right, especially when getting involved in someone else's conflict. One example given by my CCD instructor. A guy was walking down the street when he saw one man holding another man at gunpoint. He "thinks" he is doing a good thing, pulls his gun and shoots the gunman. It turns out that the gunman was a undercover cop and the guy he was holding was the bad guy. Not good! As many other have already said, do NOT use your weapon unless you and/or your loved ones are in danger. I also suggest that everyone that even thinks they might find themselves using their weapon, to find a name of a good pro-gun defense attorney. Don't call them, don't ask them any questions, just have a name and number in case you ever find you need one. That's my two cents. God Bless and stay Safe!
    Last edited by Corlando465; January 27th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.

VIP Member
    Call 911 and let the police handle it. Your only duty is to protect yourself and loved ones.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links