Man Threatening Another With a Knife

This is a discussion on Man Threatening Another With a Knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I saw this guy at a gas station from my window screaming at one of his buddies in a car. That offender was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Man Threatening Another With a Knife

Man Threatening Another With a Knife

Last night I saw this guy at a gas station from my window screaming at one of his buddies in a car. That offender was outside of the car standing...the offended was in the car. There was no physical contact but he was physically threatining in a way..like..kind of jerking his body toward the other person like he was going to hit them. This continued for about 15-20 minutes. Now that much actually happened, here is this hypothetical...

Same exact scenario only the guy is doing those same, odd jerking motions and he has a knife in his hand. He has not attempted to stab him but has made it pretty clear that he has lost his cool and his upcoming actions are very unpredictable. Am I justified in leaving my house, crossing the street and drawing my weapon, and possibly engaging him, or should I have just called the police as soon as I saw the hypothetical knife, and waited for them to potentially not get there in time. I thought about this for awhile last night, did a little unsuccessful research, and still couldn't justify any particular action...What do you guys/gals think?

The place is Philadelphia, PA
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

2. Remove Ads

Call 911. Be a good witness.
    Eagleks likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    make popcorn
    take pictures
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Why would you WANT to leave you house? Is he threatening me or my family? No.

Call 911 if I feel it necessary. Turn up TV. Ignore the commotion.

I'm not a cop, nor a superhero, so I'm not going to risk my life and leave my family unprotected to go confront some random loon in an undecipherable situation.
    hogdaddy, jerp, 9MMare and 2 others like this.

Call 911. You're not a cop. That's like getting involved in a domestic disturbance. Once the tempers die down, you're third man out. And if you get involved with your firearm, you are, as far as the law is concerned, escalating the situation. It's really none of your business. Again, call the police.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Can't we ever have a common sense practical hypothetical. My sheepdog could answer this.
    Dadsnugun and C5A like this.

But can your sheepdog type? If not he doesn't help me here. I am aware im not a cop but Im a CC'er and I've always been taught that its your duty to protect your family and self, as well as innocent civilians. Just ignore the situation by turning up the TV? Have this guys life possibly end when I could have possibly prevented it from ending? Very interesting points here. And again, I apologize for wasting your time suntzu.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    But can your sheepdog type? If not he doesn't help me here. I am aware im not a cop but Im a CC'er and I've always been taught that its your duty to protect your family and self, as well as innocent civilians. Just ignore the situation by turning up the TV? Have this guys life possibly end when I could have possibly prevented it from ending? Very interesting points here. And again, I apologize for wasting your time suntzu.
    You've been taught wrong, Grasshopper. Get a more knowledgable teacher.
    9MMare and JDE101 like this.

OK, i will follow along...call 911
    What kind of answer did you expect? I was being honest, not rude.
    Not only is your life, property, family, friends not in imminent danger, neither is the person in the hypotheical. And I am sorry, but if you had to think about this all night and still could not come up with an answer then you might wabt to rethink carrying a fire arm for protection. It is for your protection, not to be a caped crusader. Sorry if that is blunt.
    C5A likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You've been taught wrong, Grasshopper. Get a more knowledgable teacher.
    Alright, so if im behind someone that starts shooting up a mall i'll just run away, since, well....technically IM not in danger?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    OK, i will follow along...call 911
    What kind of answer did you expect? I was being honest, not rude.
    Not only is your life, property, family, friends not in imminent danger, neither is the person in the hypotheical. And I am sorry, but if you had to think about this all night and still could not come up with an answer then you might wabt to rethink carrying a fire arm for protection. It is for your protection, not to be a caped crusader. Sorry if that is blunt.
    Not at all man. It's responses like THAT one that were the reason I joined the forum.

The standard answer around here is to "call the police and be a good witness." When a thread like this comes around, that phrase gets used like it's going out of style.

I don't like to get involved in people's business, and I don't much like interacting with leo's, so I would probably just ignore it. However, in a lot of states, you are allowed to use deadly force to prevent serious bodily injury or death of another person or to prevent a forcible felony. Maybe you could justify it in your scenario. I wouldn't bother.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    Please take this in the proper context; I'm not beating up on you, but I've noticed from some of your other posts that you seem to be quite confident in your assessment and opinion, but your stated conclusion often suggests a lack of training and subject matter education. I strongly recommend distancing yourself from whoever's been teaching you and picking up some reading material on widely accepted best practices. "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob is a great starting place.
    suntzu and JDE101 like this.

Thanks whec.

No way would I do anything other than call 911. Since you don't know the entire situation, you could be setting yourself up for some serious liability.
    Crescentstar likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links