Possible BG tips hat

This is a discussion on Possible BG tips hat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the store today and walking back out i see these two guys. I could tell by the way they were dressed and the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Possible BG tips hat

Possible BG tips hat

Went to the store today and walking back out i see these two guys. I could tell by the way they were dressed and the packs next to them were old dirty and tattered they were street folks.
    I get eye contact with one of the guys for a split second then i turn towards my truck and i hear "and this guy".
    That was all i heard, and i know it was about me because there wasnt anyone else around.
    But i kept walking towards my truck with my eyes behind my head now activated like antennas haha.
    I get a few feet from my truck i hear "Hey hey" like a "wait up" type of call.
    The guy was walking up on me I guess about 7-10 feet away.
    I turned and didnt really know i did it but my left hand came up as if to say "Stop!" and i said "Can i help you?"
    The guy stopped walking towards me & said "You got any money?...i need gas money"
    I said "No, i don't have any money."..then as i said that i also thought this guy aint got no car..this guys walkin'.
    There is no other car at or near the gas pumps.
    So i really went into what folks here have refered to as "code yellow".
    After i said i had no money i walked to the side and back of my truck and kinda pivoted keepin' sorta faced his way and went around the truck to the other side (the pasenger side)
    I didnt want to turn my back on this guy while i tried to unlock my door.
    As i did unlock my door this the guy was saying something kinda sharp and snide sounding.
    But, i didnt care because the conversation was over as far as i was concerned.
    I get to the passenger side, unlock the door, get in, and scoot over to the drivers seat.
    I eye up the guy once more and it was like his jaw had dropped he looked confused.
    I dont know can't explain it.
    The guy was at a loss for some reason haha.
    Anyhow so i'm looking at him and he suddenly gives this little smile, raises his hands, and kinda waves as if to say: "Ah go on then..leave"
    Now i could just be reading everything into this whole scene but that last moment & that last look it was like a BG had just tipped his hat as if to say: "Hey you did well." haha
    That was the sense i got.
    Anyhow it was a strange encounter thought id share it.
    Plus i would just like to thank the many knowledgeable and experienced posters here.
    I have learned a great deal reading your posts.
    My knowledge and situational awareness has increased more and more and reading about your experiences helps me alot.
    So thank you guys out there for all your good points and advice.
    Just know that there are greenhorns out here like me who do listen to what you have to say.
    So keep doing what you do and keep answering those questions even if they seem dumb.
    Some of us do listen and have learned..Thank you and God Speed.....

2. Remove Ads

Personally i think you did well. As for the tipping the hat thing, i cant really say. And even though the conversation might have been over, it is still important to keep your ears open. 1.) He could have said some threatening thing, or who knows. 2.) At the begining of the post, you mentioned 2 guys. Now you kept your focus on the one who approached you. Did you know where the 2nd guy was? Did you take a quick glance behind you? Keep an ear open for approaching footsteps, or an "attack" word or phrase from the first guy.

I think you did well, and what i have mentioned is just more of a couple of pointers to be on the lookout about. Good job!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

VIP Member
    Sounds like good SA to me. Glad things worked out OK for you.
    Spade115 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    For the record, you "tip your hat" to a lady. It's a polite gesture.

You "tip your hand" when you give up information. It's a reference to playing poker and giving away too much information about your cards or accidentally letting someone see your cards.

Other than the mixed metaphor I think you did well.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Would that have been appropriate time to dial 911 on the way out and report two suspicious people ?
    Situational awareness cannot be preached enough, as important as training with your weapon, and you did a good job, propably ''hung him up'' when you got in on passenger side, lol ..... As I travel a lot, and end up stopping for gas quite often, there are a lot of incidents where I am asked for gas money, ect.... I try to do the same as you, sorry I do not have money on me, but never let my eyes rest. I also keep a can of wasp and hornet killer in my door pocket on my truck.... rednecks pepper spray !! can shoot a foam base 20 feet n kill a red wasp in mid air, would definatly keep someone at bay I would think...
    tcox4freedom and DC like this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I think you did fine with one notable exception.
    • "If you truly felt these guys may have been up to no good, you should have notified the authorities."

I know I couldn't leave two BGs free to possibly rob, rape, carjack or kill the little old lady who may drive up behind me without alerting somebody. I couldn't live with myself if I heard on the nightly news that the two men I confronted earlier had victimized the person after me because I did ABSOLUTELY nothing to warn the authorities of their behavior.

What "IF" these were real bad guys and you did nothing to help get them off the street (or at least away from that spot)?

Could you live with yourself if someone in your family (wife, child, parent or grandparent etc), came into that location & were robbed or possibly murdered because you did nothing?

I'm not trying to be harsh. But, I wouldn't want to take the risk if something like that happened to me.

-

Are you guys serious? Couldn't live with yourselves? It was just a bum asking for money. Keep your wits about you, sure, but there's no need to call the cops. He didn't do anything wrong.

Possible BG Tips his Hat?

You mean, like this?

Tip+of+the+Hat.jpg
    jerp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I think you did fine with one notable exception.
    • "If you truly felt these guys may have been up to no good, you should have notified the authorities."

I know I couldn't leave two BGs free to possibly rob, rape, carjack or kill the little old lady who may drive up behind me without alerting somebody. I couldn't live with myself if I heard on the nightly news that the two men I confronted earlier had victimized the person after me because I did ABSOLUTELY nothing to warn the authorities of their behavior.

What "IF" these were real bad guys and you did nothing to help get them off the street (or at least away from that spot)?

Could you live with yourself if someone in your family (wife, child, parent or grandparent etc), came into that location & were robbed or possibly murdered because you did nothing?

I'm not trying to be harsh. But, I wouldn't want to take the risk if something like that happened to me.

-
    So, some bum stumbles by and hits you up for money. Now he's going to rape, rob, carjack, and kill little old ladies? Sheesh - get a grip. You must not get out much.

Depending on where you live, you'll encounter innumerable bums, dirt merchants, panhandlers, beggars, bindles, black sheep, derelicts, drifters, floaters, gutterpups, guttersnipes, hobos, tramps, transients, vagabonds, vagrants, deadbeats, rustlers, mendicants, and street people.

A woman is more likely to be raped by someone she knows. Use your head. Say no, and move along.
    C5A, jem102, BkCo1 and 3 others like this.

I think getting in your passenger door and sliding over was kind of slick. Most practical only with a bench seat, of course, but it would be getting you a lot closer to shelter/escape without the (possible) aggressor necessarily realizing how close he is to losing his chance with you.

Say a situation develops poorly, and suddenly there is someone right next to you on the driver's side of your car. You could say "sure, let me get some cash out of my glove box," walk around to passenger side perfectly reasonably (and getting the car between you) and then unexpectedly get in a position to just drive away.

As long as, um, you weren't still connected to the pump...

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    Situational awareness cannot be preached enough, as important as training with your weapon, and you did a good job, propably ''hung him up'' when you got in on passenger side, ..
    I believe this is an excellent example of disturbting a persons OODA loop. I have to admit before I started frequenting the DC site I had no idea what it even meant.
    OODA loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The key is to obscure your intentions and make them unpredictable to your opponent while you simultaneously clarify his intentions. That is, operate at a faster tempo to generate rapidly changing conditions that inhibit your opponent from adapting or reacting to those changes and that suppress or destroy his awareness. Thus, a hodgepodge of confusion and disorder occur to cause him to over- or under-react to conditions or activities that appear to be uncertain, ambiguous, or incomprehensible."

Great job, by walking around and getting in the passinger side he had no idea or plan to handle it. I think it totally short circuited his thinking since it was something he had never experienced before.

Sometimes, when you "best" one of these vagrants, they do sort of "salute" you for your cunning... Of course, the good ones learn from their experiences, and improve their tactics the next time...

Yeah, you could call the cops on 'em... but the professional homeless are known by LEO, and mostly told to move on anyway... Long gone are the days of being arrested for vagrancy...
    It could be worse.
    A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be.
    Wollard V Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    For the record, you "tip your hat" to a lady. It's a polite gesture.

You "tip your hand" when you give up information. It's a reference to playing poker and giving away too much information about your cards or accidentally letting someone see your cards.

Other than the mixed metaphor I think you did well.
    "I tip my hat to you" is an old expression. If a person bested you in competition or battle you might use that expression. The actual gesture is still used by men wearing hats or caps to other men as a gesture of respect.
    It is also a way to acknowledge someone. A nod of the head is like a tip of the hat without the hat.

The OP was correct in his usage of the expression.

Michael
    RockStrongo likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    "I tip my hat to you" is an old expression. If a person bested you in competition or battle you might use that expression. The actual gesture is still used by men wearing hats or caps to other men as a gesture of respect.
    It is also a way to acknowledge someone. A nod of the head is like a tip of the hat without the hat.

The OP was correct in his usage of the expression.

Michael
    Now i could just be reading everything into this whole scene but that last moment & that last look it was like a BG had just tipped his hat as if to say: "Hey you did well." haha
    I had to go back and re-read the OP and you are correct. I missed this part the first time around.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    So, some bum stumbles by and hits you up for money. Now he's going to rape, rob, carjack, and kill little old ladies? Sheesh - get a grip. You must not get out much.

Depending on where you live, you'll encounter innumerable bums, dirt merchants, panhandlers, beggars, bindles, black sheep, derelicts, drifters, floaters, gutterpups, guttersnipes, hobos, tramps, transients, vagabonds, vagrants, deadbeats, rustlers, mendicants, and street people.

A woman is more likely to be raped by someone she knows. Use your head. Say no, and move along.
    x2!
    And I'm glad everyone doesn't call the Police when they see a homeless person or is asked for some spare change. I used to hate getting called out for that, wast of time.
    jem102 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links