Incidents where your SA (or paranoia, or vigilance) has embarrassed you!

This is a discussion on Incidents where your SA (or paranoia, or vigilance) has embarrassed you! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is the right area to post it, but I'll assume it is since I will be sharing a scenario (albeit embarrassing) ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By tactilame
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 2 Post By RonCo
  • 3 Post By Doubledown
  • 6 Post By 1911srule
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Chaplain Scott

Thread: Incidents where your SA (or paranoia, or vigilance) has embarrassed you!

Not sure if this is the right area to post it, but I'll assume it is since I will be sharing a scenario (albeit embarrassing) with you. My question for y'all is this: Has your situational awareness, whether over the top or not, ever landed you in an embarrassing situation? I consider myself a bit paranoid when it comes to these things, because I always want to be on the safe side and NEVER be a victim, but this is one incident where I was trying to be vigilant/aware and ended up making an absolute fool of myself!

Before I was regularly armed, back when I was 18, I had just moved into my first apartment in a not-so-nice part of town. I had my fathers old 870, but I hadn't moved it into my place yet, and I hadn't begun carrying yet (for obvious, legal reasons). Anyway, one night as I was walking from my car to the back door with a bag of groceries in my hand, a man came out of the dark and approached me and asked for money. I told him I didn't have any (and I wasn't lying, I was broke and had just spent my last handful of dollars on Ramen and canned food). He kept approaching and I said loudly "I want you to leave now, I'm going inside" he cursed at me and began stumbling off.

I went inside and stepped out on the balcony (I lived on the second floor) to smoke a cigarette before heading to bed. I saw him lingering around the outside of the building before wandering back around to the rear of the building (where the door was). I went back inside and sat down and began to read when I heard a loud pounding at the door. I was sure it was the same guy and thought he'd broken in downstairs and wanted trouble. Being that I had no gun, I frantically tried to think of anything I could use to protect myself. So I grabbed a kitchen knife and a bottle of drano (haha, I know, but in my crazed 18 year old brain I thought I was about to be attacked). My plan was to open the door and if he attacked, I would spray drano in his face and use the knife. One more funny thing to note, I am in my boxers at this point as I was getting ready for bed.

So I go up to the door in my boxers carrying a gigantic kitchen knife and a bottle of drano, open it up cautiously, and it's the cute girl who I had a crush on who lived upstairs. She looks shocked and hands me a pair of sunglasses and says "uhh, I saw you drop these earlier today and just wanted to return them" and before I could say thanks she was already on her way back up stairs.

Obviously, even unarmed, I did MANY things wrong in this situation (like not asking who it was before opening the door, not alerting the police to the man outside, etc.) I have since wisened up quite a bit and have done extensive research on self-defense, etc. But this was a funny story I thought I'd share with y'all, and by all means, if any of you feel like sharing any stories, go right on ahead! :)
    killam1357 likes this.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

VIP Member
    Well your embarrassment is understandable, but really, what did you do wrong other than open the door without first asking who was there?

Draino is OK. Knife is OK. Being in your shorts in your own house is OK. Opening the door without inquiry as to who was there, duh!!

Yeah, I've over reacted. I've under-reacted too; and I'm lucky I didn't get killed. Hindsight is always perfect.

So, were you ever able to talk to that young woman again?
    Spade115 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    So, were you ever able to talk to that young woman again?
    After a few months, I had a small party and put a note on her door inviting her to come, and I left my number so she should call if she needed us to quiet down regardless. She actually showed up! We had a good laugh about it (after I was able to explain the situation). Turns out she had a boyfriend though
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

VIP Member
    If you live long enough, sooner or later you'll do something that you will either slap yourself on the head about, or laugh yourself silly about, it's part of life. The thing is that you learn from your mistakes and don't do them again.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yeah, I jumped out of my pickup with a baseball bat (travel weapon of choice before CCW) to confront my 1st COUSIN accidentally.

Just previously I had brake checked a tailgater on the interstate and it turned into a road rage situation. It appeared that the guy was attempting to follow me to my house, but apparently in a brief moment that I took my eyes off of the jerk, my cousin pulled in behind me and the tailgater moved on down the road. I live down a 1/2 mile private drive, so no one coincidentally pulls in behind you. As I pulled into the drive and made my way down it, I watched what I was certain was the "road-rager" follow me in. About half way down the drive I decided to confront him rather than lead him to my house where my wife was waiting.

This was before the days of cell phones, so calling the police wasn't an option.

Turned out it was just my cousin who recognized my truck and was coming by to say hey.

Yep, I felt like a tard
    tactilame and killam1357 like this.

I used to own a duplex and lived in the upper apartment. The neighboring duplex had a new couple move in said hi as they were moving stuff in seemed nice enough. I am going to state that they were black only because it relates to the rest of the story. The following weekend the husband was playing basketball in the driveway with some buddies, they busted out a window on the garage door. I thought well let's see what kind of guy he is, next day he was out there replacing the glass very cool. About two weeks later I am cutting the front lawn when this pimped out Cadillac rolls up with the music thumping. My neighbor gets out in a leather trench coat with gold chains a bag he is being very protective of and a distinct bulge in both front pockets. CC was not allowed and he looked exactly like every thug dealer did at that time in the 80's. I was so pissed that he was bringing this into my neighborhood. I got a pad of paper and took down the plate number, put his name and address on it along with his description and decided to take it to the police station. Just then he comes bursting out of the house running right at me as I am standing near his car. I look up and here he comes fast right at me and yells hey what you doin? I spin around to see him dressed in sweats that read Milwaukee Police Academy and he starts laughing his ass off. I called him some names that would get me in trouble on this board and started laughing with him. I said well I guess I can just give this to you then and handed him my notes. He was impressed with my attention to detail and willingness to do this even when I though he was a drug dealer. He was even more excited that his undercover act was so convincing. He turned out to be a Sargent working the drug and gang unit and his wife was a nurse at the county hospital. Great people had many beers and dinners with them over the next three years. They moved on as did I and lost track of each other but it is still a good memory.
    INccwchris, pfries and killam1357 like this.

Haha these are great! =) wish I'd seen this question asked before =p

I lived in a trailer park while waiting for base housing back in 1986. Had several break ins and it was tense living there. Returned home one night and I always would have wife wait in car while I checked out the place first. Just got married. I went in and first down one end of trailer.Did'nt see or hear new wife enter behind me. She thought she'd play a joke on me hiding in the kitchen beside the fridge in the dark. Dumb, really DUMB! As I approached she jumped out and yelled. I punched her square in the face and she was OUT for at least 30seconds. I had time to pull the punch when I realized it was her but still hit her pretty hard. She told her whole family and I lost major cool points.Five years later we divorced. So it has turned into a much fonder memory...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

One time my room mates and i were returning from the school and a trip to the store and the front door was open, unlocked more like. Three out of the four of us are gun owners, and the last one is just trying to save up the money. This is before we got out CHLs. we went room to room with an 870, a Mosin Nagant, baseball bat and an Enfeild. no one was there and we guess someone forgot to lock the door, we felt like really intelligent people, lined up like a SWAT entry team.

VIP Member
    I'm kind of like the duck in my avatar. I may look calm, but I'm usually paddling pretty hard under the surface of the water.

In all my years, I can't recall having shown my hand yet.

I'm a big believer in "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet". I've been there more than once, but the cause of my distress usually has no idea what I'm up to.
    Spade115 likes this.

Many years ago during my considerably younger and more active manhood, I always kept my full-size Colt 1911 laying on the open top shelf of my bed's bookcase headboard. Even though I didn't keep it chamber loaded, it was much faster to reach up and grab off the top shelf (for any middle of the night emergency) than to slide open one of the noisy, frequently jamming doors on the headboard's enclosed lower shelf. Not being an exceptionally sturdy bed, I lost many brownie points during a "best two out of three falls" tag-team athletic event with a new GF when the furniture mobility caused the 1911 to fall off the headboard and give her a gentle kiss on the forehead

We actually ended up getting married a year later, and used to joke about our "modern cave dweller" courtship where the more civilized guy demonstrates his affection by giving the lady of his dreams a little love tap between the eyes with a 3-pound .45 instead of a big club

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    As far as I am concerned, SA is 99% of being safe. In my book, embarrassing is not the right word, considering the fact that if I defer my SA, I can get myself in imminent danger of death of great bodily injury---the precursor to using my firearm. I can see apologizing, as the adult way to deal with a misunderstanding for being on the wrong side of SA, but embarrassed because I want to remain safe and never have to use my firearm---never.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Well, it was really my stupidity and my wife's SA that played a major role in this incident:

We'd been married about 2 years, had just had our first baby. I had Staff Duty Officer (this was before I was a Chaplain), and the guy relieving me came in a couple of hours early and told me to go home--so I did.

This is where it starts to get interesting (or rather "stupid"), I decide to see how alert and prepared my wife is---yes boys and girls we can all see it coming, can't we So I quietly unlock the door and it sqeaks as I open it. She immediatly calls out from the bedroom "Who's there?" I don't say anything and quietly walk towards the bedroom where she and our new baby were. She calls out once more "Who's there?" Again, I didn't answer. The next sound is the hammer coming back on our Ruger single-action .357. Let me tell you--it was LOUD I IMMEDIATELY called out and identified myself. She put the gun away. I then got the lecture of my life Never done anything like that again--it only took once
    tactilame likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Great Thread

Years ago when I was in college I held many jobs. One of those being a bar tender at a local lodge. It was all older guys (well older than me all the way up to 80+). Once a week they would get together for card games. I would always show up an hour early to get ice out, restock liqour and beer and have everything ready for them. The door was a member key's only door and the light switch that lit up the staging area before being let in the room was on the other side of the door so it was always dark in this stairwell.

One evening a gentleman thought it would be funny to hide around the dark corner and scare me when I was unlocking the door by putting a butter knife to my throat. As soon as I felt the first bit of cold steel on my neck I freaked grabbing his forearm with both hands pulling it away and ducking under the arm flipping him over onto his back. Then came down on him as hard as could on his chest with my knees.

He was screaming my name saying its me its me! I'm sorry! In what little air he had. The guy was in his 50's and I was glad I didn't hurt him to bad but nobody every attempted scaring me there again.

Sponsored Links