Two kids in danger

Two kids in danger

This is a discussion on Two kids in danger within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was at McDonalds, and while I was walking out, it happened right by my truck. Two kids, looked to be around 10-12 years ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Eaglebeak
  • 1 Post By Dadsnugun

Thread: Two kids in danger

Two kids in danger

So I was at McDonalds, and while I was walking out, it happened right by my truck. Two kids, looked to be around 10-12 years old, walking across the parking lot from another business to go to McD's, and 4 guys in a car stopped, and one got out started yelling. The oldest guy in the car looked to be 18. The one who got out started following the kids, and walked right up next to my truck while following them. Now, at first thought would be, just a bunch of hudlums causing trouble on a friday night, however the two kids were well dressed and nice hair cuts, at that point I realized that the kids were just getting a hard time. All of a sudden the one guy, by my truck, takes off running towards the kids. Now when he got out and started yelling my SA went sky high, and when he was by my truck i was watching his every move. When he took off running, there was about 15 yards between him and the kids. The guys in the car pulled away and drove off leavin him there, i didn't know what that was about but it greatly reduced the risk factor, it may have been because my buddy and i were watchin and they might have seen us, wanting to get out of there. I don't know.
    Anyways, when he took off running, my shirt came up and my hand was around the pistol grip, still in the holster, waiting to see if there was a weapon or something. There was no weapon and the kids just froze like deer in headlights. After about 10' the guy stopped and walked towards the bus stop, kids went inside and we went to my truck. All turned out well.

Now, what i was prepared to do was at 20' distance of the BG to the kids, i was gonna yell stop, ready to draw.
    If there was a weapon in play, i would have drawn, yelled stop right away, and moved towards the kids, and had my buddy call the police right then and there.Had he not stopped I would have fired.

Now one thing i left out above is the kids were about 12-15' from us when he took off running, and they froze. So the gap from us to them could have been closed quicker then him to them.

Now for the "what if". Say he did have a weapon, how would you have reacted? Also, how would you have reacted to what actually happened?

I am ready to catch "flak" thanks!

(oh and please don't be too harsh on the way this has been written, been a long day)
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Could be their older brother trying to catch up to them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Good reaction to try to ascertain weapon and to position yourself between the suspect and the kids. If no weapon, I would have to ask what's going on? Understand suspect broke off. And I might have asked the kids what it's all about.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

As a parent I have a soft spot in my heart for kids. As a human being I have a soft spot for innocents and a hard spot for criminals. Seems like a tough call. Glad it ended well. It seems that you did the right thing and that given any more significant action by the guy running you may have been justified.

On behalf of a father, I appreciate your concern over 2 kids that were not yours. I can not be there packing all the time to protect my kids. I appreciate good people like you and know that they are out there. Thank you.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Suddenly finding yourself as a third-party in an unknown situation is always scary because many times something that appears relatively innocent can be something very terrible happening in reality - and something that looks to be very terrible coming down may be very innocent in reality.

You see a man holding a screaming little girls arm who's trying to get away from him. Is it a homicidal child rapist/killer trying to kidnap his next victim, or is it the father of a spoiled little brat who's having a temper tantrum over not getting the super-size fries she wanted? You see two people in a shootout, which one is the BG and which one is the GG or plain clothes cop?

Best be prepared to defend yourself if necessary, but never make any assumptions based on appearance alone when it comes to making a decision to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Suddenly finding yourself as a third-party in an unknown situation is always scary because many times something that appears relatively innocent can be something very terrible happening in reality - and something that looks to be very terrible coming down may be very innocent in reality.

You see a man holding a screaming little girls arm who's trying to get away from him. Is it a homicidal child rapist/killer trying to kidnap his next victim, or is it the father of a spoiled little brat who's having a temper tantrum over not getting the super-size fries she wanted? You see two people in a shootout, which one is the BG and which one is the GG or plain clothes cop?

Best be prepared to defend yourself if necessary, but never make any assumptions based on appearance alone when it comes to making a decision to intervene.
    And i do agree with you 100%, i didnt want to have to play the race card, but it helps defining the situation, the guys were black and the kids were white. And how i agree with you, is i believe why i gave that time to read the situation, and how the BG acts, the kids react, and then i react. I hate getting into other peoples business, but in this case, when the BG took off running towards the kids, the look of terror on the faces and the fact that they froze gave it away he was up to no good. Not to mention when have you ever seen kids stop in a drive through when an older brother or family member chases them? I am not calling you out, these are i guess, important details i should have mentioned on to why i reacted the way i did. I was not going to draw if i didnt see a weapon, but i was ready to if there was one. I would have spoke. Up either way as well.

I hope that cleared up some of the fogginess. And i still do agree. My over all question is, for you parents, would u let your 2 11year old boys out at 9:45 at night to cross some empty parking lots or walk around a not so good neighborhood? I think maybe parents coulda been a tad more responsible in some way. Just my honest thought, and wonder what the parents will say/do when the kids tell/told them?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

DC
    My son is 14 and I wouldn't let him go anywhere at night unless with an adult. Period. 30 years ago I did a lot of things at his age that today can be dangerous. I tend to be over protective but he understands.

I would have probably asked the kids if they were OK or needed help,if they were truly scared they would have said YES,ascertain the problem and if need be make the 911 call,In Tx there are laws in place that allow you to come to the aid of a 3rd party,but you better be sure you know what is going on before you inject yourself into the situation,or your name could become The Defendant
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If in doubt, call 911...I would not inject myself into a situation where the possibilities of a big mistake exist.
    Just be a good witness...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There is no way you can preempt an attack and to get involved before you understand the situation. if you chose to so you can/ will get you in trouble. Carrying a gun does not give you power over others but the ability to defend yourself and others if YOU are involved in some way. It’s best not to over think things and allow them to happen and if you feel the need then get involved

edit: this is the place to ask questions and get options. here there is no jails/lawyers/bail/cops arresting you because you did something wrong. if someone flames you for an honest question then they're the ones that need flaming

Jerp,

Good for you. You protected children and I think you did a darn good job articulating why you reacted as you did.

There was a time in this country when ANY adult would get between a much older juvenile/young adult who appeared to be harassing younger kids, just to make certain everything was copacetic. I think your awareness and willingness to go to the youths aid if it would have been necessary is admirable.
    jerp likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Sponsored Links