The reason I carry a gun

This is a discussion on The reason I carry a gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This actually happened to me in April of 2002 in Pascagoula,MS. (I in NO way recommend that anyone else respond in the same fashion. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The reason I carry a gun

The reason I carry a gun

This actually happened to me in April of 2002 in Pascagoula,MS.

(I in NO way recommend that anyone else respond in the same fashion. I was cleared of any wrong doing by the responding officers)

I'd stopped by gas station on my way home from work to get a six-pack to celebrate pay day. When I was returning to my truck a guy in an unseasonably heavy coat w/the hood pulled up walked right up and asked if he couple borrow a couple bucks for gas. At this time I was still deluded with the "illusion of safety" and pulled my wallet out to give him a couple bucks since it was payday (although, I hadn't yet cash my check).

In a second after getting my wallet out, I had a gun in my stomach and he was telling me in a hushed growl "Give me all yo money!" For a split second I was paralyzed with shock, then I decided that I'd better comply if I didn't want to have my guts wrecked by lead. After I handed him the cash he stepped back and said "If you tell a soul I'll shoot you in yo face!" ... but, then he made a BAD mistake. He thumbed a small lever on the side of the gun I heard a very familiar and distinct sound... a "TINK". He had a pellet gun. More specifically, he had the exact same model of pellet/BB/dart pistol that had for a good 10 years as a child & teen. A Marksman 1010 Marksman 1010 Air Pistol... easily mistakable as a real gun, NOT a REAL GUN... I went NUTZ on the guy!

I busted his face up pretty good within just a few seconds, but I quickly took it to the ground to detain him until the police could arrive. I yelled "THIS GUY TRIED TO ROB ME, CALL THE POLICE!!!" over and over until I noticed a crowd began to form nearby. Oddly, not one person offered to assist me, so don't count on a good Samaritan coming to your aid. Someone did however call the police for which I was thankful.

During my struggle to hold down a guy about the same size a me (6'0 180 lbs) He starts clawing at my eyes saying that if I didn't let him go he was gonna poke my eye out. I was angry, I wasn't mentally prepared for my life to be threatened... I took my thumb and shoved it as deep as I could into his eye and he screamed like a woman as I pulled my bloodied thumb out.

Then, about that time I began to feel heavy thumps to the back of my head. His BIG FAT Donkey Kong of a significant other lady is whacking me over the head with the metal pellet pistol.

LESSON LEARNED
    : They are often not alone.

Then he proceeds to pass my cash to her and she turns to run. I immediately left him, caught up to her and sent her on a cement face dive. I then picked up my scattered cash, look up and see to little children hanging out of the car window staring at this mean white man beating up mommy and possible ONE their's daddy. The two scumbags managed to make it back to their car while I was retrieving my scattered cash, but I caught up in time to kick several dents in it as the drove away. Like I said "DO NOT DO WHAT I DID" I was young stupid and thought in terms of Right & Wrong, not LEGAL & ILLEGAL.

The cops arrived 5 minutes later (my luck) and actually laughed at my story as I told it covered in scrapes and dirt. Again, I know I made a lot of mistakes and could have gotten killed or arrested, but don't sit there and think armchair quarterbacking compares to actually facing the threat of death.

A week later and I had my AL CCW & a Ruger P90 .45cal (which I quickly sold and bought a Glock)
    Last edited by RonCo; January 29th, 2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typos
    9MMare likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Good story............funny how most people refuse to help.....and the Ruger P90....after the horse left the barn.
    I bet you were glad you were able to defend yourself in that given situation........now tell us......how Fast did that happen and would you have had time to rack a slide........No ?

Sounds like you did ok except for trading the P90 for a Glock.
    hogdaddy and yooperdug like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Good story............funny how most people refuse to help.....and the Ruger P90....after the horse left the barn.
    I bet you were glad you were able to defend yourself in that given situation........now tell us......how Fast did that happen and would you have had time to rack a slide........No ?
    No where close to enough time to rack a slide. If his weapon had been real, I probably would have been risking it even attempting to draw a pistol. That's why situational awareness is your best weapon. I should have never even let him get close to me.
    Last edited by RonCo; January 29th, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: after thought

I can't find a single fault with anything you did. Actually, I think you should have taken him by the ears and pounded his head in the asphalt until it cracked. And then did the same thing to big moma. Then the kids could see what happens when you are stupid.

Also, this is a good example of why grappling skills are not a good option outside the competition circles.
    RonCo, JerryMac and eb like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I agree Glockman, but I think that your training should focus getting out of a ground fight and back to your feet, because you might not have a choice as to whether it goes there.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if you are going to have a lesson pounded into you--when you are young and have the natural
    strength of youth and the vitality to heal--is the time to do it

but as you will agree; the best fight is the one you never have

SA is a tool, perhaps the best one cause other tools may be forbidden you in places they may be most needed.

good story, and actions performed.
    so, do you carry a secondary now also?
    --for when life comes at you fast and from different directions.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Did the cops catch the dirtbag family? If so, what was THAT outcome? Certainly someone had to have shown up at a local hospital without a working eye.
    Congrats on the situation...sounds like you did fine EXCEPT for pulling out the 'ole wallet, eh?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    if you are going to have a lesson pounded into you--when you are young and have the natural
    strength of youth and the vitality to heal--is the time to do it

but as you will agree; the best fight is the one you never have

SA is a tool, perhaps the best one cause other tools may be forbidden you in places they may be most needed.

good story, and actions performed.
    so, do you carry a secondary now also?
    --for when life comes at you fast and from different directions.
    Claude, I carry a G23 w/ a spare mag, two knives, and pepper spray for a non-lethal option.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I can't find a single fault with anything you did. Actually, I think you should have taken him by the ears and pounded his head in the asphalt until it cracked. And then did the same thing to big moma. Then the kids could see what happens when you are stupid.

Also, this is a good example of why grappling skills are not a good option outside the competition circles.

Glockman are you kiddin' me...........?

How about taking your wallet out in front of a stranger in the dark of night.............Duh...........maybe you need some training too.
    It was completely wrong.......everything he did.....maybe now he knows how lucky he was also.

Geeezzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Did the cops catch the dirtbag family? If so, what was THAT outcome? Certainly someone had to have shown up at a local hospital without a working eye.
    Congrats on the situation...sounds like you did fine EXCEPT for pulling out the 'ole wallet, eh?
    Retsupt99, a detective actually called me about 3 days later and asked if I mined dropping the case since I got my money back and came out relatively unscathed. He said that his request was due to a heavy case load at the department and they needed to focus man power on more "serious" crimes. I reluctantly agreed.

I reminded the cops that night that he would probably be seeking medical attention for his eye, but honestly I got the feeling that they found everything pretty amusing, but considered it a done deal.

The only thing the bad guys learned, since the police did not follow up, was to use a real gun next time! This is why I carry and why 2011 was a record year for CCDW permits.

Sorry to hear that you had to learn to get your permit the hard way. Glad you were able to take him to the ground and inflict enough damage to make him change his mind. Glad you were not hurt and came out of it with your life, and your money. Too bad law enforcement didn't consider it a serious enough case. I think having a gun stuck in your gut (real or not) to be a pretty serious threat. By not following up on it, the perp most likely made corrections in his plan of attack for the next victim.

I would have told the cop that called 3 days later that I would not be dropping the case, that they stuck a gun in my gut (real or not), tried to rob me of my money, do me bodily harm, and if they are not caught, they'll just do it to someone else. "Find them!"

I'm glad that you wised up, got your permit, and now carry. Keep the SA up! Thanks for sharing the story.
    RonCo and JerryMac like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

tkruf: I totally agree with your assessment on handling the detective's call. I wish I would have been mature enough to have been assertive and demand that they follow through. I'm sure the thug continued with his criminal lifestyle in some form or fashion.

I must admit I've had a morbid curiosity about his eye injury. I really jammed my thumb in there and I did see that it was bleeding pretty bad. He should leave people alone if he wants avoid having his eyes gouged.

OP,

thanks for posting your experience....

i was just about to post a thread on here about gas stations....

i have noticed recently (well, actually longer than that), just about every time i stop for gas, no matter where it is, there is always some vagrant "hanging out" in front of the gas station...

at this one there is always some guy standing out in front of it trying to sell something: bottles of cheap cologne, CD's, candy bars or something.......

just last week i was approached at a station by some guy wanting "some spare change"....i did not turn my back on him and told him NO.......

I ALWAYS have my Glock 26 on me while going to a gas station (or anywhere else for that matter)

GREAT JOB and im glad you pounded the thug into the pavement.....keep doing that and the thugs may think twice...

Bruce
    RonCo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links