uncles house robbed, my reaction "i told you so!"

This is a discussion on uncles house robbed, my reaction "i told you so!" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, im not a very old person, but my uncle is 51, and trying to give him advice, is like trying to teach a gerbil ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: uncles house robbed, my reaction "i told you so!"

uncles house robbed, my reaction "i told you so!"

So, im not a very old person, but my uncle is 51, and trying to give him advice, is like trying to teach a gerbil tricks. It aint happening. I know the area my uncle lives in, grew up there. Needless to say, gangs and theifs have over populated the area. And being a big gun person, i have been trying to tell my uncle he needs to get a shotgun or handgun to have by his bed, in case something should happen. His response, " I have my hunting rifles in the case, in the closet if I feel i need something." Same response i get all the time, and i told him, on my last plea to get something, " i hope to god, that should something happen, i dont have to say "I told you so" over a casket."

Now, my uncle is not anti, he just chooses not to carry or anything he "is fine with his 30-06", as he says. I have tried, but will not force it upon him, his wife, or anybody. Its their choice, i will strongly suggest, but then stop.

Last night i got a phone call around 4:00am, from my uncle letting me know that someone broke into the house. He said he grabbed a baseball bat, and went to investigate, when the guy saw my uncle, he pulled a gun and said stop and drop the bat. My uncle did as told, and then what my uncle told me next, made me think of how dumb both my uncle and the BG were. My uncle then told the guy, " look take what you want, im going to bed, do me a favor and make sure the door is atleast locked on the way out." My uncle left the criminal in the living room turn his back and literally went into his bedroom closed and locked the door. Waited 15mins and called the police.

When he told me this whole story, i blew my head gasket. I was so furious. At the stupidity of my uncle and then the robber. My uncle could have gone into the closet and loaded the rifle after the BG let him go, or called the police right away. And he didnt even get a discription to tell the police. This was a cataclysmic nightmare for me to hear. Im glad the BG didnt shoot, or anything but i sat in awe as my uncle told me the story. Needless to say, the first words outta my mouth were, "Somehow, I told you so, doesnt even come close to cutting it."

So many things could have gone so so wrong. My uncles highlight was "at least he locked the door as i asked."
    I dont even know where to begin with my uncle. All the things done wrong. I need advice on how to sit down and talk to him and explain how things could have been much worse.

I also posted this as a scenario, to humor the what if. Say you are armed. The bedroom opens to a hallway, maybe 5yrds long that goes to the kitchen, but at the end of the hall, beginning of kitchen, if you make a left, you are in the livingroom where the BG was. He draws and you fire right? Pretty simple. So why wont my uncle understand, hopefully this is an eyeopener, and what advice can you give to help me make it that way? Thank you, and yes i know ill say it and so can you, my uncle is an idiot. Thanks again!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Human behavior is human behavior--and we're not all the same. Your uncle has to live his life as he sees fit; let him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with OldVet, it is what it is and your uncle is set in his ways. Unfortunately, he relied on the judgment of a thief and who knows what else. He should be grateful the fellow didn't shoot him dead on the spot, I'll bet others would not hesitate to do so. I learned years ago while trying to help my alcoholic father that some people have no desire to change their ways no matter how much you may want them to.

Orange boy and oldvet i understand, its a hard conclusion, but its understandable. I guess the reason it matters so much, is Im 23, i have 4 years in the military under my belt, and I never knew my mother, and my dad died when i was 18, not even outta highschool/military school. The rest of the "family" pretty much "disowned" my dad and i. The only one who stuck around was this uncle, so i guess i look up to him as a semi father figure, and the only family i have. And i would hate for something like this to have ended badly. But at the same stand point as you it is his life. Although id hate for something to happen, to kind of feel guilt that i did nothing. But i did try to talk to him, so... i dont know i guess thats why i turned to the DC community for advice, that maybe someone might have similar situations that they have been through. Its just kinda hard that if that BG had pulled the trigger, i guess it would have been the end of my "family" to say. I thank you for the insight.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

VIP Member
    As distasteful as you find your uncle's approach, it worked out to his satisfaction. Not everybody is up for a gunfight with an intruder. Eastwood- A Man's Got to Know his Limitations - YouTube
    Hopyard likes this.

Sorry to hear that your uncle is stubborn and set in his ways. Really is nothing you can do about it. Instead of trying to get him to get a shotgun or handgun or something, maybe since he is like a father figure for you, maybe just try and take him out shooting, just for something to do. Maybe if you take him out shooting after this break in, he just might get the picture. Other than that, there is nothing you can do. If he doesn't want to buy a gun for lack of money, you can offer to buy him one, however I don't think that is the issue here.

Good luck with it. Sorry to hear about his break in.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. If he's comfortable being a sheep even after this robbery, then let him be.

Sucks to hear about this. There is only soo much you can do. If he choses to do it his way.. there really isn't anything you can do about it. :(

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Just imagine the story the BG is going to tell all of his friends! I wouldn't be surprised if more of them pay him visits some time soon.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Just imagine the story the BG is going to tell all of his friends! I wouldn't be surprised if more of them pay him visits some time soon.
    That's a possibility. The perp himself might return in fact.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    As distasteful as you find your uncle's approach, it worked out to his satisfaction. Not everybody is up for a gunfight with an intruder. Eastwood- A Man's Got to Know his Limitations - YouTube
    Well it probably wasn't "to the uncles satisfaction". I'm sure he would rather that it didn't happen at all, but apparently he was more concerned with his safety after staring down the barrel of a gun. I can't fault the uncle for that.

I will say that I have only had a couple of vehicle break ins never a house and yet you have a definite feeling of being violated. I would think that it would be much worse for a house break in. I can't really imagine why he didn't call 911 right away and then load up his hunting rifle and at least be ready to defend himself in the bedroom.

I guess he takes the position that none of his stuff is worth getting shot over, insurance can replace it. While this is true, I think he is still going to have regrets that he wasn't better prepared.

Another thing that concerns me is if the anti-gun crowd gets wind of this it will become their "We told you so" incident. Just give the criminals what they want and put your life in their hands.

Not the way I would have handled it if it were me, but in this case I think your uncle did OK.

Think about the alternative. He has a handgun or brings out his rifle. A shootout occurs and someone gets hurt - don't discount the fact that it could have been your uncle. Either way, significant costs, emotional, medical, and legal. Maybe your ego gets stroked a bit because you "defended yourself." But would it be worth it? Not to your uncle.

Before I was armed, the way I would have looked at it is, take what you want, I have insurance. Cost to me is the $500 deductable, way less than in a shootout scenario no matter what. Is a bad guy still on the loose? Yes, but I'm still alive and well.

Don't misunderstand me - wouldn't be my choice now. But I can certainly understand why someone would make the choice that your uncle did.

Doc

VIP Member
    I'm laughing at this story. I think the Uncle did great. He avoided a fight with the guy in his living room. He didn't get shot. He didn't shoot anyone. The BG probably got next to nothing worth having- a consideration your Uncle probably took into account.

Yes, the BG could have tried to get into the locked bedroom, but that would have been really risky. He had no way to know if your uncle had a handgun; a machete, whatever.

Everyone took the easy way out here. No one got hurt. Sounds like a big win.

What your Uncle needs is a bar on his exterior door. An alarm on that door. Maybe a dog for a pet. Sure, he could use a
    nice 642. But, I kind of like the outcome here. (except that the BG got away). Now, since we know the BG was armed with a gun, confronting him with a gun could have turned doubly tragic--- where both get shot and both end up croaked.

I give your Uncle a big thumbs up for smooth, cool, bravery, and smarts.

Probably not how I would have handled it at all btw. I can't think that fast. And I'm not always wise in the heat of the moment. I'd probably have tried to take the gun; but that's 'cause I've got a screw loose somewhere upstairs.
    My ammo costs money; BGs is free.
    WD54241, DocPMD, MadMac and 3 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Don't bring him with to Mtn Home

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Buy him a pistol or shotgun the rest is up to him.
    TaterSalad likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links