First known CC shooting case in Wisconsin

This is a discussion on First known CC shooting case in Wisconsin within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't agree with carrying into a establishment that does not allow it, but this is a good example that even bad guys won't follow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First known CC shooting case in Wisconsin

I don't agree with carrying into a establishment that does not allow it, but this is a good example that even bad guys won't follow the law. And it's because of one CC guy who decided to also not follow the law; that one suspect was arrested after being treated for wounds, while the other was picked up later.

Your thoughts?

Customer Stops Grocery Store Robbery By Shooting Suspect, Police Say - Milwaukee News Story - WISN Milwaukee
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Good for the customer.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Good news

Aldi Had those stickers in Michigan. We wrote them enough using the form here Request Form and told them we would no longer be providing them with funding since we weren't allowed in the stores while carrying.

They retracted the Ban in Michigan and sent a bunch of people gift cards.

MGO Community Forum
    ALDI'S retracts concealed carry ban! - MGO Community Forum

Aldi Will let you Carry, if you show them what it will cost them.
    tkruf and RockStrongo like this.

First...congrats to the CC guy for intervening in what he felt was a life threatening situation. But, I'd also like to know how the WI "posting" law reads as well. It may well be that he had every right to carry inside Aldi, IF it was not properly posted..Just sayin!!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

it's hard to believe they waltz right in there with not one but two unarmed security guards....

Police said at least one of them was waving a shotgun, despite the presence of two unarmed security guards.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    A dearth of facts, so I can't opine on whether the customer made the right choice to open fire. He gets the benefit of the doubt, as a shotgun being waved around would make me a bit nervous too. And I wasn't there, so I'm in no position to judge.

I concur that it was a positive outcome in the sense that no innocents were injured.

What I find most positive is the comment from the proprietor across the street:

"I'm really happy because now the criminals are going to be afraid, because who knows who's going to conceal carry, or have a weapon on them. Nobody's going to know if the other guy has a gun now, so it levels the playing field," Rowell said.

I also found the following very promising: "Criminal charges are not considered likely against the customer who shot at the suspects."

Let's hope that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    First...congrats to the CC guy for intervening in what he felt was a life threatening situation. But, I'd also like to know how the WI "posting" law reads as well. It may well be that he had every right to carry inside Aldi, IF it was not properly posted..Just sayin!!!!
    This is taken out of the FAQ PDF located at http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...q-20111020.pdf:

NOTICE OF REFUSAL OF RIGHT TO CARRY CONCEALED
    While the specific statutory sections of the new law as noted above, only reference notices
    regarding firearms, property owners possess the general right to limit or condition access to their CCW FAQ 10/20/11

- 39 -

property. This would include prohibitions or limits on possessing dangerous weapons other than
    firearms. Therefore, the sign requirements discussed below can provide a reasonable basis for
    providing notice to persons of any weapons restrictions.

What kind of notice must be given to a CCW license holder regarding any prohibitions on carrying
    concealed weapons?

Notice of statutorily prohibited locations is provided by statute and to the licensee on the
    license application and no other notice or sign is required for those locations.
    Notice for other locations can be provided verbally or in writing or if the land is posted
    by a sign meeting certain criteria. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(am)

Where are signs required?

For non single family residences (e.g. apartment, condos, etc): A sign must be located
    in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the part of the building to which the
    restriction applies or near all probable access points to the grounds to which the
    regulation applies and the individual entering the building or grounds can be reasonably
    expected to see the sign. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)2.a.

For non-residential buildings, state or governmental property or university or
    college: A sign must be posted in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the part
    of the building to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the building can
    be reasonably expected to see the sign. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)2.b.

For the grounds of a nonresidential building or land: A sign must be posted in a
    prominent place near all probable access points to the grounds or land to which the
    restriction applies and any individual entering the grounds or land can be reasonably
    expected to see the sign. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)2.am.

For special events: A sign must be posted in a prominent place near all of the
    entrances to the special event and the individual attending the special event can be
    reasonably expected to see the sign. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)2.c.

For posting land: A sign must be posted that is located in a prominent place near all
    probable access points to the grounds or land to which the restriction applies and any
    individual entering the grounds or land can be reasonably expected to see the sign. Wis.
    Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)2b.

How big of a sign must be used?

A sign must be at least five inches by seven inches that states the restriction on carrying
    a firearm. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)1.

What must the sign say?

In regard to posting land, the law only provides that the sign must provide an ―appropriate
    notice‖ and the name of the person giving the notice (listing self as either the owner of
    occupant). Wis. Stats. § 943.13(2)am1. In regard to other locations the sign must
    simply state the restriction imposed. Wis. Stats. § 943.13(2)(bm)1.

At a minimum the sign must inform people that weapons or firearms are prohibited. There are a number of
    messages that would meet the standard and the ultimate purpose of the sign is to put
    individuals on notice of the prohibition or limitation.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

W I is off to a good start, open the eyes of those that would prohibit carrying on their property and those that think carrying is not a good idea.

Soooo, was the sign legal or not? Did the CCer break the law? Or just walk past a sign?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Ok there is already a thread going on this in the news section of the back porch section of the forum. And after posts on that more info was found, and he was not illegally carrying. Again he was legal. The signs were not in plane sight, amd thwy were not 5x7. The shooter even stated, had he seen the sign probably wouldnt have gone in.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

It will take the BG's some time to get used to their new work environment. It would be nice if they were reduced in number before they actually get it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Good job for the CC guy stopping the armed robbery!

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    it's hard to believe they waltz right in there with not one but two unarmed security guards....
    I was shocked that the sign on the door did not prevent them from bringing in weapons.
    Chief1297 and 9MMare like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Despite of what happen, I didn't hear anyone at the business state that the "no weapons" signs are coming down. It seams that the lesson was not learned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links