Bump in the night kit?

This is a discussion on Bump in the night kit? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun, flashlight, (the cheap plastic Eveready ones) LOL! Not! and, cellphone. The flashlight is a 90 lumens Coleman tactical. Very nice, bright, and waterproof. Runs ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Bump in the night kit?

Gun, flashlight, (the cheap plastic Eveready ones) LOL! Not! and, cellphone. The flashlight is a 90 lumens Coleman tactical. Very nice, bright, and waterproof. Runs on three AAA batteries.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My nightstand-a9aa, surefire flashlight and phone. Wife's nightstand, FNP40 with TLR2 and a streamlight flashlight and phone. Either one of our phones is linked via bluetooth to an iHome Clock radio speaker phone set up. One touch and its on speaker so we are handsfree with 911. Its hard to hold a phone flashlight and gun at the same time.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

My early warning device is two German shepards,Adolph and Vltor,they hear things I could only dream of,our driveway is nearly 1 mile,they can hear my wifes vehicle turning in at the bottom of the hill,so when I see their ears stand at attention I listen,they sleep in our den,so at night i pay attention to every growl,bark,wimper.then my bump kit is a Diamondback battle belt (with suspenders)that hangs on my bed post,it has a surefire 6p led,Rat 3 fixed blade,2 count 5.56 mag carrier,and a RCS G23 holster,so all I have to do is throw it on if need be.

My bump in the night kit is mostly my dogs. They provide the initial alarm system, as well as a feedback loop providing me information about the "bump". I keep my EDC in a Remora no-clip under my pillow at night and my extra mag in the nightstand. I can see well in the dark and we keep small night lights on in the house in every room.

I've actually not had any serious trouble at home at night. The last time the dogs were upset for "no reason" it turned out to be a distant earthquake that I couldn't feel, but both mine and the neighbor's dogs were acting antsy, confused and bark-y half the night.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

New Member Array TodaysBushcraft's Avatar

Bump in the night kit?

Dogs are first line.
    Making sure wife understands if I get up, don't start yelling down the hall "what is it? "Did you hear something?"...she now knows, if I do that, grab phone and prepare to call 911.
    XD40 on side of bed.
    Flashlight on nightstand next to phone.
    Knife in nightstand.
    Shotgun 8' away.

A good plan is very important.

Sent from my Tactical Communication Device.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Sig P239, 2 spare mags, Flashlight and Cell Phone on the nightstand.

G23, flashlight and cell phone are on my nightstand, although if I'm startled awake at night by a noise I shouldn't be hearing, the Glock and flashlight are what I'll be grabbing. I know my wife will grab her cell phone off her nightstand, should we need to call 911 or such, since she is a lighter sleeper than I am.

Dogs with free roam of the house.

Gun on nightstand shelf, extra mag in drawer. Flashlight on shelf with gun.

Cell phone and regular phone. All my ammo in a cabinet. (My bedroom is set up as my 'safe room')

Plus, true cover, not just concealment, and a narrowed and confusing entry for intruders (the house was built in stages and is rather convoluted).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Did not look at all replies and this type of question has been asked and answered but here goes. I see in replies firearm at bed and maybe backup shotgun nearby and I see cellphone and flashlight. I would add that I have my garage door opener and the remote keys to both cars for activating alarms on cars---with garage open and two cars blaring with lights flashing it might cause BG concern but it is also a beacon when LEOs arrive--I think they will know which house is the problem. In addition to stuff, I also lock bedroom door, put a door stopper at base of door and since only wife and I and no one else to look after, I will not leave the bedroom. BGs may take my stuff but it is all replaceable and insured---if the BG is better at "gunstuff" than me, I do not want to find this out--I am insured but NOT replaceable--my stuff is just not worth my life. Do not know how "complicated" some houses are but I know my house in the dark and the BG does not and I do not intend to use a flashlight to show the BG where I am, especially in the confines of my bedroom, where I will have located myself in a defensible position that still provides a clear firearm path to the locked door. If BG decides to defeat locked and stopped bedroom door he will find out what a FN5.7X28 semi and a shotgun with buck can do to his well-being. Personally my only concern at end of this bump in night will be finding someone to fix the door jams and replace the carpet.
    TodaysBushcraft likes this.

2 German Shepards, .40 Kel-Tec sub200 with a 30rd mag and a surefire light attached.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

No special "kit" set up, but I have a Ruger Security 6 that resides in my night stand along with a flashlight.
    Hey, Me too

Hello! Welcome from Southeast Kansas!

I wish I could find the poster that first made me aware of this, but I just ordered a great looking vest made by US Palm. It looks like an incredible product for home defense. It's a tactical type vest with a Level IIIa ballistic panel in the front (with the option to add one to the rear for $99). There are several options but the most intriguing models are the Molle and the Holster versions. I opted for the holster version in black. It has a horizontal chest holster that looks to be plenty large for my FNP 45 Tactical & Surefire X300 Ultra. It has pouches for 3 mags or 2 mags and a light, phone, etc. To keep the cost low I opted for just front ballistic protection; a panel can be added down the road (and I probably will add one after the holidays). I figure in a home invasion I'm going to hunker down in a safe room but if pressed I will fight, and having the protection in the front is probably the most important. The really cool thing is that I bought it for under $200 shipped!

Here's a picture of it in coyote.

I watched some reviews & videos of the armor being shot with various calibers and am satisfied that the armor will defeat pistol caliber threats. It even defeated a Brenneke saboted copper slug.

If something goes bump in the night I can have a pistol w/rail-mounted light, 45 rounds of .45 ACP ammo & my Surefire E1B and cell all loaded in the vest, ready to go at a moment's notice.

I'll post my impressions once it arrives!
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arfwoof View Post
    2 German Shepards, .40 Kel-Tec sub200 with a 30rd mag and a surefire light attached.
    Hey arfwoof: As I said in a previous reply to yours I am not sure what purpose the flashlight serves in your home if there is a bump in the night. Is it that dark that you do not know where you are going? Are others in house that require you to travel all over the house to find them? My thought process, as a mentioned, is the fact that the flashlight gives more of an advantage to the BG, who now knows where you are, then to you, who knows your house better than him and can move about if that is what you require, without needing light over and above incidental night lights etal. As I said in my reply, my response will be limited to my bedroom and distances less than 10 feet---incidental light and point shoot capabilities, especially with a shotgun carrying buck is all I will need. PS: I do have a high lumen flashlight at my bedside for "taking care of business" before I get to my defensive positon (that would include using cell, garage door opener, and car emergency activation).

kelcarry, you make some good points about giving away your position with the light which I don't intend to do, but it is a handy to have it there (and it looks kind of cool.) By the way, I meant sub2000 not sub200.

Senior Moderator
    Dog and a S&W 65-2
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links