Bump in the night kit?

This is a discussion on Bump in the night kit? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I live in a small apartment about a mile from campus with my twin brother ( awefully handsome guy of i do say so ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Bump in the night kit?

Well I live in a small apartment about a mile from campus with my twin brother ( awefully handsome guy of i do say so myself) and my girlfriend. As far as the neighborhood goes its not that bad, some break ins from the usual low lifes but as far as violent encounters go there aren't that many usually smash and grab during the day or crimes of opportunity. So please take that into account.

I have my glock 19, 1 mag pdx1, 1 mag hornady critical defense, I have my small LED flashlight and my mossberg 5500 Mkii with 00 buckshot. The downside of my house being broke into is me needing to go grab my brother and getting him into my room before the BG decide to get violent, which would be near impossible because my house is very open, chances of walking out of my room and not seeing at least on BG is slim to none. So now I have to talk my brother into getting a SD gun.

2. Remove Ads

Kel, the light can be used to identify/disorient the BG. If your eyes are accustomed to darkness, and suddenly get hit by a high lumen flash, can definitely kill your vision for a bit. Not as bad if you're behind the light.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

A few people elsewhere have taken me to task for the Surefire X300 Ultra on my FNP. I guess it strikes some as faux-tactical or mall ninja. I can't understand how having it can be a bad thing. I shoot it a lot with the light on it (attached to the gun, I mean, not turned on). Sure, it would be a lot of extra bulk and weight to CCW but by the bedside it's a non-issue. And while I train with the light activated and turned off it's not like the first thing I'll do if I hear a noise is turn it on! It's just another option. It can be used to blind an intruder; 500 lumens will blast night adapted vision. In my house many of the light switches are over 6' from the doorways (definitely not FHA approved, it's an old house). I can't necessarily get to all the lights.

Again, I feel it's better to have and not need than need and not have. I also take the gun camping. I have had to handle 4 legged varmints at night, and a weapon mounted light is very handy for that. So far at least the racoons never shoot back!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arfwoof View Post
    kelcarry, you make some good points about giving away your position with the light which I don't intend to do, but it is a handy to have it there (and it looks kind of cool.) By the way, I meant sub2000 not sub200.
    I, as I said, also have a flashlight at my bedside, but it has nothing to do with being able to use it when I am in a defensive position relative to a BG in my own house that I can navigate at night under prevailing light, where my range for shooting ala point shoot will be less than 10 or 15 ft at most. I would appreciate anyone reading my take on a flashlight kindly provide an argument that disputes my comment and explains its advantage relative to giving away my position to the BG (kindly remove the need to secure entire house with family members, including children, in other areas of home).

Re: Bump in the night kit?

Living alone, I find a motion detector with audible alarm and light works well. Covers front, garage and back door. I'm a lite sleeper anyhow. So I am awake

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Knife hidden in bed-frame and S&W MP9 in dresser next to bed. lights not an issue do too....night light. Its for the baby, I swear.

FWIW my armor showed up today! Overall I'm impressed but there's one small snag; it would appear I underestimated the size of my FNP 45 T with the light attached. It won't fit in the chest holster unless I remove the light. Not the end of the world but a bit of a bummer. I can either remove the light I guess or else keep my Browning Hi-Power in the chest rig and just resign myself to using a hand held light. Well, I also have a Bersa BP9CC on layaway...perhaps it will be enough smaller to fit with a light on it.

The actual armor carrier is very nice! Lots of adjustment. I'm a little bit heavier than my usual weight (I sometimes pack a few pounds on at the beginning of winter) but the armor still fits nicely. It looks like the mag pouches are at the limits containing the FNP mags- again, this is a HUGE gun! A 15 round .45 mag is gonna be pretty large. There's a small pouch with velcro closure right on the top of the carrier in front, probably for a cell phone or ID. A very nice touch!

I think this is gonna be a good rig once I decide what to do about the handgun. In hindsight I probably should have e-mailed to ask about the size of the holster but it's not a huge issue. Maybe I will simply have to buy another gun to fit the holster!

I take it back! Turns out the gun was snagging on the pin that keeps the battery door closed. Black on black made it hard to see. It's a somewhat snug fit but the gun goes in just fine. I'm sure it will loosen a bit over time but I can pull the gun out easily as is.

No dogs, yet, but chambered LC9 w/lasermax, military issued flashlight, spare mag with Hornaday Critical Defense. Slippers and cell phone at the ready.

Good TTP to keep car keys handy to activate car alarm.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shinguards. Think about it.
    soonershoote likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    my jammy pockets

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    No kit. Just necessities close at hand. Clothes laid out next to bed. No light colors! No GI Joe BS either. Boots open, laces prepped if needed. Glasses, spare glasses in dresser. Cell phone on charger. Primary and secondary weapon cond I and II. 2 Surefire w/ fresh bats. One mounted on 12 ga. Note-I no longer check on anything OUTSIDE my home.Thats what police are for.If someone is in my garage I may consider launching a bird/bear banger in there just out of spite...

wish list- good NVGs IE;PVS-7A
    I take it a step further. I'm not clearing my house because that's what cops are for! I'm barricading myself, my wife and my daughter in a room with my .45, a flashlight and a cell phone and calling for help. Let the boys in blue do their job and if anyone not wearing a uniform comes through the bedroom door there's no doubt about why they went out feet first.

All bedrooms are upstairs, BG won't get far with these guys sleeping downstairs, if for some reason BG gets by them, I have Glock 19 on nightstand and Colt 1911 on PC desk.

IMGP6422 (Medium).JPG

XD40, Surefire G2, spare mag, cell phone, and a German Shepherd that is like Chuck Norris -- It doesn't sleep; it waits...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

My S&W m&p9c Tactical flashlight and a cell phone is whats at my bedside.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links