Brought a Baseball Bat to a Gun Fight

This is a discussion on Brought a Baseball Bat to a Gun Fight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hope I'm posting this in the right place... This happened over 30 years ago to my Dad, brother and I: At the time, my father ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Brought a Baseball Bat to a Gun Fight

Hope I'm posting this in the right place... This happened over 30 years ago to my Dad, brother and I:

At the time, my father was still a Pennsauken Police Officer (Pennsauken is located near Camden, NJ). He and my Mom were divorced and he picked us up for his weekend visit. I think I was 12 and my brother was 10.

Anyway, my Dad, a hot tempered Italian that doesn't take crap off anyone, was driving to a gas station when another car cut him off. A bout of road rage ensued between he and the other driver.

We pulled into the gas station and the other driver followed us, pulled up along side our car and got out with a baseball bat and approached.

My Dad reached under his seat and pulled out a 1911 pistol, stepped out of his car and leveled it at the guy. Then, like out of a Dirty Harry movie my Dad yells, "Swing at a few of these #@$@%!"

The guy with the bat turned white as a ghost. I know if he had taken one more step closer, my dad would have shot him...

The guy drops the bat and takes off. My Dad gets calmly back into the car and looks at my brother and I and non-chantly says, "Did you see that nut? He was gonna' try to hit me with a bat. Geezzz."

Soon, the gas station is filled with police cars; lights and sirens blazing, but they're all cops my Dad works with and they soon go after the bat guy.

It's a great, true story, but it also shows that the road rage event quickly became a dangerous event, with the BG not caring that there were two kids in the car...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Dont take this the wrong way, but it sounds like your dad escalated the situation...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Good story! Remember it happened over 30 years ago. We can still learn from it and enjoy the entertainment value of it.

Well, as his dad might have too, but heck it was 30 years ago.... ALOT has changed.

Nice post/story.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I had a similar story related to me from a really nice guy who would not harm a fly, EXCEPT, he was the guy with all the rage. Somebody cut him off, he chased them down, he got out of his car at the light, he was about to jerk open their car door and then found himslef looking down the barrel of a .45. At that very second he changed his life. That event happened 20 years before I knew him. If common sense or maturity happens to fail, nothing like a life/death moment at the wrong end of a gun to grow up really quick. I can only hope!
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Well, as his dad might have too, but heck it was 30 years ago.... ALOT has changed.
    A lot has changed, but dear ol' Dad didn't help the situation. He's mellowed out alot now. :)
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    If you come at me gripping a baseball bat, don't be surprised by my gripping my light saber.
    Rock and Glock and tactilame like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Not everyone should carry a firearm, regardless of their occupation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Dont take this the wrong way, but it sounds like your dad escalated the situation...
    with a baseball bat and approached.
    ------------------

as presented i have to go with the dad on this one

every time i have been 'approached' by peoples with bats and i have showed them whats on my belt they
    have run away (twice)
    looked at me and said....'that ain't fair' and we had a chuckle and he left
    two guys, one bat and no gloves in winter...had much to say about my parentage ( how'ed they know?) and left
    mano3 likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    with a baseball bat and approached.
    ------------------

as presented i have to go with the dad on this one
    i'm with you on this one. if someone comes at me with a bat im at least gonna be ready to draw and if he gets anywhere near close enough to swing i will be drawing

When it comes to road rage incidents and escalation the best advice I received years ago was to...

Not take it personally. The person who cut you off or whatever didn't do it to you personally ___________

Insert name.

They did it to the white Ford or tan Chevy, or blue Honda or whatever you may drive.

The person was still a jerk but you can only take it so far. And when you carry a gun, unless your life is in immediate threat of danger you don't have the right to deploy your weapon. You have the responsibility to not escalate or further exacerbate the situation.
    chipop73 and MisterFleas like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    If you come at me gripping a baseball bat, don't be surprised by my gripping my light saber.
    I like that approach. Jedi master
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    The person who cut you off or whatever didn't do it to you personally ___________

Insert name.

They did it to the white Ford or tan Chevy, or blue Honda or whatever you may drive.
    Definitely. There have been studies on road-rage, and a lot of them point out the fact that being in a car dehumanizes the person driving it. I've encountered it myself several times. You don't think about the identity of the person driving the offending car, you think of the person and the car as a unit, if that makes sense.

Example: Once I was driving on a busy 4 lane road at rush hour, and this big, beat up SUV with a loud exhaust cuts me off. I immediately being to say expletives about said SUV/driver to myself under my breath, then it pulls up next to me at the next light and inside is a rather mousy looking woman with 3 kids in the back, she rolls down the window and says "I'm SOOO sorry! I didn't see you, this is my husbands, I'm not used to driving such a tall car!" I immediately felt guilt for even thinking all of the mean things in my head.

Another example is where I was the offending rude-driver. I was weaving in and out of lanes and speeding like a maniac to get to the hospital, where I had just learned my sister had been injured and taken there. I had some guy pull up next to me at a light and start cursing at me. I cursed back. Point is, even if the person seems like a jerk, they may just be having an absolutely horrible day and/or a reason for driving like that.

Just my .02
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

I feel like I should also clarify that I believe that just because someone has a reason for being a jerk doesn't mean it's okay or excuses it. The point I was making is that it's a lot harder to stay mad or irate at someone if you can accept that they are a person just like you and they may not be some inherently agressive, rude idiot.

However, when it's clear that they ARE just a &$@($, all bets are off and I'm not going to be so forgiving. ;)
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

I used to have a Chevy Silverrado, that I used to haul by fishing boat (ocean going). I had placed a LARGE decal on the bug-deflector that said "BITE ME", in reverse (for the read-view mirror effect). This one day, while doing some shopping in town, I pull up to a light, with a car in front of me. Well, the driver sees the decal and tells the passenger, and the passenger then gets out of the car and starts coming at me (between his car and mine). When I see this I just jumped the truck forward a bit to get the point across - the idiot must have had a wild - hare in his tush. He did get the hint and proceeded to get back into his car, but screaming and yelling. Most other drivers would see that in their mirror and I couls see them laughing. Some people take offense to everything, that's why WE have to be sooooo PC now, just too many girly-men around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links