Got Some Stranger Hauled Off To Jail

This is a discussion on Got Some Stranger Hauled Off To Jail within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week I had an encounter with a stranger at my door. I had recently gotten home from work and it was dark out. My ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Got Some Stranger Hauled Off To Jail

Got Some Stranger Hauled Off To Jail

Last week I had an encounter with a stranger at my door. I had recently gotten home from work and it was dark out. My pregnant wife happened to be working late so it was just me and the dog (who was in the backyard at the time). At about 6:45 I get a very loud knock on the front door. I wasnt expecting anyone so I quietly approached the front door and peered through the peep hole. A man was standing on the front walk with a gas can in his hand. Not wanting to risk a confrontation, I quietly stepped back and around the corner. I went into the front bedroom and watched him walk back down the driveway toward the street.

Now I live on a semi-flag style lot, meaning my driveway is very long, not very good lighting and the house is set back a long ways from the street. Anyone who comes to my door does not do so at random. Once I saw he was gone, I grabbed my Ka-Bar (not allowed to have firearms) and flashlight and walked out to the end of my driveway. I watched him go down the street and attempt to knock on other doors, gas can in hand. Looking across the street from me, I saw a red pickup that did not belong there. I put 2 and 2 together and decided to retreat back to my pickup where I would have a good vantage point and be well hidden.

From there I called 911 and reported the suspicious activity and stayed until police showed up. After a search of his truck, he was placed in the back of the car and hauled away.

Ill probably never know what the situation was but a few things struck me as red flags.

1. why, when a gas station is well within walking distance would a man attempt to ask strangers in their home for fuel?
    2. who in this day runs their pickup out of gas even after passing at least two gas stations before getting to my street?
    3. the vehicle had Oregon plates (oregon is just 15 minutes south of my home)

Hopefully, if he was up to no good, he will remember to stay out of my neighborhood because people are watching!

edit: I should also add that I sent my wife a text message warning her not to come home until I told her it was safe. Also, when I bought the house last June, it did not have a peep hole in the front door, and no good vantage points to peek out without giving away my presence. I am very glad I decided to install a wide angle peep hole

2. Remove Ads

Better safe than sorry! He prolly had warrants. Too bad you can't be armed...you never know what he coulda been packing! I'd invest in getting some decent outdoor lighting for your home, and driveway.
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Why could you not have a firearm?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

u did the right thing here niceguy. some dumbazz could have opened the door for him and gotten hurt. y nogunz? washington or felon?
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

poor decisions when I was 19. In time I may be able to get it expunged but for now am limited to knives/oc spray and my exceptional SA skills.

"if you dont want a haircut, stay out of the barbershop"

I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused. First of all, from your post I can gather that it is extremely unusual for someone to approach your residence randomly. You speak of it being 6:45 (I'm assuming PM) -- I have been to Vancouver, WA before and even though I'm not totally familiar with the area, 6:45 PM doesn't strike me as prime home-invasion time, for the exact reason you listed -- you had just gotten home from work.

Secondly, it would seem that he was not intending to do you or anyone any harm. Again, I could very likely be wrong, seeing as I wasn't there and do not know all the details. Disregarding the fact that he was put in a police cruiser, he may have just had no money and was hoping to find gas anywhere he could, considering he was from Oregon (you saw the plates but for all we know he could've lived much further south than the border.

Thirdly, I respect you calling the police as I'm sure his presence was suspicious. However, I can't imagine anyone with the mindset of "I'm going to steal something" going door to door. That would, as it obviously did, only make people suspicious. Assuming you were sufficiently hidden, wouldn't that have given a would-be BG the apparent "it's safe to break in here" idea?

Finally, when you say firearms are not allowed, who doesn't allow them? Your wife? A criminal record? I used to live in WA and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that owning a firearm was legal everywhere in Washington.

Other than that you have very good SA, and I know I personally wouldn't have answered the door, but I don't know if I would've gone as far as calling the police at 6:45 PM on some dude seemingly looking for help with gas.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Posting from phone and can't edit, but looking over your post again I think it was good you called the cops. Obviously the guy had some reason he shouldn't have been on the streets. I, personally, though, am typically much more benign. If the dude carries on when I don't answer, I shrug it off.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Not trying to sound bad but... Im confused as to why you are on the Defensive Carry forum which is primarily for firearms owners if you are not authorized to have a firearm due to stuff that happened when you were 19. Just seems a little strange.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Hopyard likes this.

Be careful sneaking around your neighborhood with a Ka-Bar. You may get shot by someone who owns a gun.
    BkCo1, Hopyard, l1a1 and 1 others like this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicegy525 View Post
    Once I saw he was gone, I grabbed my Ka-Bar (not allowed to have firearms) and flashlight and walked out to the end of my driveway.
    Convicted Felon?
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Guy probably needed gas and had no money to buy any,you call the Cops,they run him and find out he has outstanding warrants,he goes to jail. THAT WILL TEACH HIM NOT TO RUN OUT OF GAS
    Hopyard, jem102 and SHTFGearLLC like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Everyone's different, but I don't typically drive around with a gas can in my vehicle.

Video door intercom, I've got to get one.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2 part post: Glad everything worked out for you but I got a question. You said they put him in the car and hauled him off after a search of his vehicle. Was he handcuffed? If not the cops might have been giving him a lift. If he was hauled off it probably was a warrant. No matter how strange it looked and what his intentions are it is not illegal to walk down the street with a gas can. Funny thing is I do have a gas can in my truck and my wife in her jeep. But the concept only works if it is full LOL.

2nd part: Not that I am a trusting soul, I always try to size someone up. But I live in the middle of nowhere and about 99 percent of the time any visitor to my door is unexpected. So I answer the door all the time. I can and cannot understand why I see on this forum folks not answering their doors for strangers. My house is a place for comfort for me, not a prison. And please, I don't need examples of how BG's try to fool their way into a house. I know they do. But like what is it, 1 percent or less of knocks on your door end up as a home invasion? Folks do what they have to do. Just my 2 cents.
    Inspector71 likes this.

Are you a convicted felon? Do you have domestic violence charges? Are you a foreign national? Why are you not allowed to own a firearm? Washington is not a prohibitive state by any means.

I am amused at some of the replies.

A group who would be very offended if the cops were called because they were carrying but cheer this guy on for calling someone with a gas can knocking on doors.

Both clearly within the law.

It is the same "He might be about to commit a crime" mentality.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links